User Reviews for Concerta

Learn more about Concerta.

Narcolepsy 5 reviews 13 medications

7.6
ADHD 151 reviews 62 medications

7.4
Summary of Concerta reviews 156 reviews 7.4

Reviews for Concerta

Review by willlkl;asjdf ;ajdslf;;: User Rating:

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: My experience with Concerta has been amazing. I am 12 and this has helped me deal with bullying, anger issues, and lack of focus. I have learned that just because you are ADHD does not mean you can't have a normal life. I recommend this to anybody who is ashamed by their weight, has trouble focusing, and has anxiety issues but make sure to eat regularly because Concerta makes it so you don't know if you are hungry or not.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 11, 2014 11:26 PM
Review by Northfocus: User Rating:

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: I have been dealing with Attention Deficient Disorder ADD all of my life at 50 years old I was diagnosed with ADD, I had suspected it for some time, and began taking 28 mg of Concerta each day after approximately 2 months I went to a lower dose of 18 mg per day. It has had a positive effect that it is much easier to stay on task my ability to concentrate has been significantly increased. In describing its effect it seems that my mind has slowed down. The side effects have been minimal a little lightheaded at times. I do not take it every day sometimes, I usually use it Monday to Friday.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 6, 2014 1:45 PM
Review by nursebunney (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: My 4th grade son began taking Concerta 2 1/2 weeks ago. It has been the best decision I ever made. His teacher says he is a completely different child. His funny personality remains but he is on task, finishes all his homework in class, and actually tells other children to quite down. I lamented for many, many months about whether or not to have him begin a stimulant. It is obvious that it was the right decision. I make sure he eats a hearty breakfast. He knows he needs to push himself to eat something at lunch and drink plenty of fluids. He did tell me he felt "prickles in his head" for the first 2 days. His teacher reported he was a little tired for a couple days as well. He says his mind is more clear and "not so jumbled". We're thrilled

March 18, 2014 11:42 PM
Review by What's More Important? (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: My 13 year old son, and 9 year old daughter both have been diagnosed with ADHD. I, nor my husband could wrap our minds around our kids taking medicine, but were forced to give it a try. My son started taking Concerta when he was in 4th grade, and my daughter started taking Vyvanse in the 3rd grade.The results were amazing! Their handwriting went from sloppy to super neat, reading skills increased, grades were mostly A's...and many more great results! The bad part about the pills are that they have SO many side effects that were making them seem like totally different people! They were skinny, depressed, had Insomnia, headaches, twitching, and angry. We withdrew both from public school and started Homeschool. Now learning at our own pace!

January 27, 2014 5:30 PM
Review by Tyjohn95: User Rating:

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: IT MAKES ME DEPRESSED. Yes it helps me focus, and it helps me with my school work, but when I am on Concerta I am 100% emotionless and it is the worst feeling I have ever experienced. Constant depression until it wears off later in the night time.

January 27, 2014 3:38 PM
Review by Van Man (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: My son started on Concerta about a year ago. It has transformed his life. I don't like giving medicine but I have tried absolutely everything else - swimming, brain gymnastics etc.. nothing really helped. He is naturally bright but just couldn't concentrate - particularly when it came to classroom work and focusing on a project involving writing. The transformation has been incredible. He had an excellent school report in every area. His teachers are thrilled, he is confident and happy and enjoys school. He doesn't take Concerta in the holidays or at weekends and manages fine going back on it on a Monday morning. Only one side effect which is lack of appetite. We ensure he goes to school with a good breakfast and then he has a huge meal when he gets home.

January 23, 2014 1:17 PM
Review by Anonymous1013: User Rating:

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: I've been on Concerta since I was about 13 (I'm 22 now). When I first started the medication I experienced a fair amount of weight loss. Overall, Concerta has truly changed my life and made me a more focused student. Since I've been on it for so long, I have learned to manage side effects but some that have been ongoing are: upset stomach right after taking the medication (due to the stimulant effects and lack of food), slight headaches, jitters, binging when the medication wears off, and occasional paranoia. When first beginning the medication, remember to force yourself to have some caloric in-take even if it is just a smoothie. This has been life-changing, but please remember to balance out your diet.

January 8, 2014 6:11 PM
Review by mamaessp: User Rating:

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: My daughter was finally diagnosed with ADHD Inattentive-type at age 16 after a lot of stress regarding high school academics and feeling "dumb." Concerta has been nothing short of a miracle for her. She finally ended up on the 54mg dosage and does very well. The only side effect she has had is loss of appetite which she now knows to eat a healthy/big breakfast before her medication in the morning. She then eats a normal dinner. She has occasionally had insomnia if she takes her medication later in the morning or if she has accidentally had caffeine. Overall, she is in a good groove with this medication and her SAT score went from 1600 to 2000 after medication and a prep course; GPA from 3.3 to 3.9.

December 6, 2013 1:37 PM
Review by cherrymom (taken for 5 to 10 years): User Rating:

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: I have 3 children, 2 of whom are on Concerta. We have tried many things prior to this and nothing has worked quite as well.

November 24, 2013 10:27 AM
Review by Moona: User Rating:

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: I'm a 15 year old girl who started off with Vyvanse for a year but became anorexic. I switched off to Concerta! The first couple of years I felt so amazing because I have never experienced what it felt like to succeed after trying so much. Then I got to High School. My meds ended a relationship. I was always paranoid and extremely nervous. I am like a robot now. I'm either extremely emotionless, really mad, or really paranoid. My friends tell me that it's like talking to a stranger. I get frustrated so easily and don't care about anyone or anything around me. I don't want to be taken off my meds because I'm really successful. But should I really have to choose between my loved ones and school. I shouldn't have to pick.

November 15, 2013 2:06 AM
Review by Anonymous15635: User Rating:

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: I would recommend this medication ONLY if you are 100% positive you need medication, by that I mean teachers and family recognizing the issue. My mom finally decided to give me concerta during early middle school after my teachers advised it for a few years. I recommend beginning with 9 mg and slowly going up if needed. This medication is horrible in my life in the sense that I feel like I need it to do good in school, especially now I'm in college. But it causes me to be incredibly depressed. I continue to take it because grades are first, but for kids I recommend keeping a very close eye on them and follow up on depression issues because as a kid in middle school, it was horrible.

November 12, 2013 11:35 AM
Review by Mommyandson (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: My son was diagnosed with ADHD at the age of 6. I was extremely against trying medications, but after an extremely difficult kindergarten and start of first grade, I decided that it was worth looking into. My son was miserable, and it broke my heart to see him coming home everyday in tears. We tried a variety of behavioral interventions, but nothing worked and my son was not happy. We decided, based on a friend's advice (her daughter had success with concerta) to give it a shot. OMG! It was like night and day! Slight decrease in appetite initially, but other than that, it's been a godsend. Wishing all you parents the same success we had!!!!

64 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
November 5, 2013 1:32 AM
Review by George2013 (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: My current dosage to treat ADHD and depression is 37 mg slow release twice daily, morning and noon. Although the medicine does not completely relieve my ADD behavior (distraction, sillyness, loud speaking, impulsive acts, lack of sustained focus, poor listening skills) it does permit my mind to focus better and to self regulate my actions. I am also doing therapy and my wife spends a great deal of her considerable intelligence and thoughtfulness to improving my mental health and in consequence, our married life. The medication certainly helps to motivate for work, meeting and talking with people, and generally feeling a sense of my ability to function.

November 4, 2013 4:52 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years): User Rating:

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: I am 15 and have been on Concerta since 6th grade I have never really felt any side effects besides loss of appetite in the afternoon. But just last year I started getting muscle spasms and I began to zone out often at school. Even more recently I have began to have trouble with sleep and slight depression. I have tried getting the concerta switched for something else but its the only medicine that helps me focus in school and help me get good grades. I mean don't get me wrong it helps a lot but I'm not sure why I'm just getting these side effects

October 29, 2013 4:51 PM
Review by Katfr: User Rating:

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: took this halfway through 10th grade to through summer. First experience after being diagnosed with add so in attention without being hyper. No motavation from this almost made me feel worse with serve exaustion and depression I felt like every day was a chore and I wasn't as happy I used to be and my friends said I wasn't as free spirited or fun. Gave me social anxiety also and shaking. I would highy recommend adderall xr I switched to it and got none of the side effects but all of the results. I feel like I can function and am more social than even without medicine and I also can plan out my thoughts and lists of what I have to do and homework. Concerta sucks take adderall instead

October 27, 2013 9:20 PM
Review by Experience with Concerta: User Rating:

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: My daughter was diagnosed with ADHD in the 2nd grade and her doctor and I discussed different medications and settled on Concerta. Grades were never a problem, but behavior and socialization were. She hated the medication and would spit it out or hide it. It gave her headaches, loss of appetite and sleep loss. Eventually she began taking it regularly and began to do well in school. The behavior problems ceased as well as socialization. She took this medication for about 2 years and then I decided to pull her off. Her teacher didn't even notice and thought she was still taking the medication because she was so well adjusted and presented no serious issues. She never took meds again and learned to cope. She has ADHD but manages it other ways.

October 1, 2013 4:24 PM
Review by mouse house: User Rating:

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: Before Concerta I was labeled disruptive; unintelligent, impulsive, poor concentration etc. The worst part was that no matter how hard I tried I always messed up, and it was never on purpose. I am often described as having "no-filter" between my head and mouth. Now, with Concerta, I am able to 'filter' information correctly. I have control with what I say and I can concentrate when I need to. This is however, no miracle - I have bad days. Like anyone, my cognition suffers if I haven't had enough sleep, etc. Concerta only gives one control of their actions and organizes things in your head a bit better - something I had been long without. Please consider the facts provided by health professionals.

August 9, 2013 6:23 AM
Review by mamalove (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: My son who is now 7 was on Adderall XR for about 9 months. It made him more focused but aggressive and hard to get along with others. He's been on Concerta ER 18mg for almost 3 weeks at first he was complaining about headaches but his aggression has changed tremendously. He gets along well with his sisters and is able to control himself better. I think I'm going to like CONCERTA.

July 18, 2013 12:32 PM
Review by mdillon07: User Rating:

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: I was diagnosed with ADHD in 2nd grade. I have been on medication ever since (I'm 31 now). I started Concerta in high school and I must say it did very well to get me through class in college. I was even in my majors honor society. Now I have to say I think the years of various medicines have caused some real adverse reactions. I'm very depressed and moody. I've gone from being the big go getter in my company to borderline at best. Worst of all I have a new son and my anxiety is really getting in the way of me enjoying him.

July 11, 2013 5:08 PM
Review by ShawnKR (taken for 10 years or more): User Rating:

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: I've taken Concerta on and off since I was 9 so 11 years now. I've taken every ADHD pill ever made and this one is by far the best out of them all. It has helped me a lot in life. I was able to focus in school and I always had good grades. If you miss a dose you can definitely feel it both mentally and physically. I was able to graduate at the age of 16 and start working full time. I'm not sure where I would be In life without this truly amazing pill. I would recommend to anyone who would benefit from it.

July 4, 2013 2:59 AM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more): User Rating:

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: I'm 19 and I've been on Concerta since age 7 . It has helped me no doubt. I have never had any problems as people say above stomach problems I have never had any. The only thing is I keep eating the complete opposite of everyone else. I usually take it at 9am everyday and I notice it wearing of around 6pm. Yesterday I didn't take because I tried something. I'm currently working night shift usually it's been out of my system hours before starting work. So tonight I took it 9pm even though now it's 4.30am and I've been awake since 7am yesterday I neither show or feel any signs of being tired, drained both physically or mentally. This medication has been nothing but a Success for me.

July 3, 2013 4:34 AM
Review by FellingBetter (taken for 5 to 10 years): User Rating:

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: When I was about 13 the school psychologist who I was seeing for behavior problems suggested to my mother that I start taking Ritalin. I was hyperactive, could not focus, blurted things out, and was generally viewed as a weirdo by my peers. My mother refused to follow the psychologists advice because she "didn't want me on medicines". The same diagnosis and suggested treatment followed the next year and the year after by the Psychiatrist who I was referred to. Eventually I dropped out of school, somehow managed to get my GED and enroll in college. I decided a few years ago to see a doctor and he prescribed Concerta. I am now able to follow through on projects and not feel like a failure, frustrated all the time. It has really worked for me.

55 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
June 12, 2013 8:27 PM
Review by Jaxcie (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Concerta (methylphenidate) for Narcolepsy: Although I was never officially diagnosed with narcolepsy, about 10 years ago, I began slowing down, literally my energy and motivation kept going down and down, etc. I longed to be normal and play with my kids like I once had. Finally, we seemed to have found the right medication and now we just need to adjust the dosage. It has been nearly a month and its been a little rocky because of the adjustments needed but I feel like I am becoming the Jackie I once was. I just need to check more about the side effects, etc. So far, so good.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
May 18, 2013 3:17 AM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: I'm 18 years old and have been on 18mg of Concerta for just under a year now. In the beginning I loved it - was able to focus and was very productive with everything. Positives: my grades and work ethic excelled, accomplished a lot, confidence raised. But, it may have just been me, but after being on Concerta I became very antisocial (the complete opposite of myself) and basically got lost in my head. I also suffer from depression and severe seasonal effective disorder and my first winter taking the Concerta was a horrible experience. The important thing to remember with this medicine is that it is not what is making you "smarter" or more accomplished, it is merely helping you to do these things without your ADHD holding you back.

May 17, 2013 10:39 PM
Review by Mynestbird (taken for 5 to 10 years): User Rating:

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: Even though concerts has been helping me in school, I still get a lot of the side effects. The biggest one is that I am never hungry and now I am underweight. I still recommend you this medication because it has helped me improve my grades in school.

May 1, 2013 9:37 PM