User Reviews for Strattera

Learn more about Strattera.

ADHD 190 reviews 31 medications

5.9
Summary of Strattera reviews 190 reviews 5.9

Reviews for Strattera

For ADHD "I'm a 30 year old male and switched from Dexedrine to Strattera about two years ago. For the first two months I thought it was a terrible decision because of the horrible side effects and talked to my doctor a couple of times about switching back to a stimulant. He told me that even though it says it can take up to a month to start working, in his experience, it took most patients 2-3 months to see the benefits. I'm glad I stuck with it. After four months all side effects we're completely gone and it works better than any stimulant type I've been prescribed. The problem is you do have to get through a horrible period of 1-3 months (10 weeks for me) before the nausea, fatigue, ED and insane sweating are gone. This drug takes time to work!!!"

ItWorksWithTime August 24, 2015

For ADHD "Works well, does it's job, but be warned, for the first few days - week, the side effects are freaking horrible. I was on Wellbutrin for a half a year, but got off due to having a rare side effect (muscle & joints hurting). Trying Strattera now, and as far as I can tell, it's very nice. Thoughts are organized, and I feel more relaxed (which is good because I might have anxiety - still being determined), none the less I get a lot more things done. Side effects are a bloody nightmare - hang in there! They do go away! I started on only 25MG and for 4 days I was nauseous & had to lay down from time to time, couldn't stop sleeping, & my eyes were hurting... weird... I went up to 50MG, and again, the same symptoms."

20 y/o F (taken for less than 1 month) August 20, 2015

For ADHD "15 year old female with ADHD and mild depression. This sent me into a downwards spiral of suicidal thoughts and erratic behavior. It also caused me to throw up and miss meals due to the 'stuck in my throat' feeling it gave in addition to the burning acid in my throat feeling. Also it gave me headaches so severe I wouldn't even get out of bed. I give this a 2/10 because although it did help a little, the negative side effects are too much for me."

Darth Ginger(TheADHD Girl)) (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 19, 2015

For ADHD "Since I've been on strattera I've felt tired & listless -- I can't even work up enough energy for essentials like laundry & dishes. I've been on it for 5 months. My worst side effects are nausea, fatigue, irritability, and strange dreams. It feels like I start dreaming before I even fall asleep and it's driving me crazy. In typical ADHD fashion I forgot my meds at work over the weekend & had to go without -- I woke up at 4am to the worst headache I've ever had. I have an appointment on Wednesday & will be doing my damnedest to get my doc to switch me to a different med. I think it did a little for my ADHD but I also upped my coffee intake while I was on this med."

Jess7245 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 17, 2015

For ADHD "My 8 year old son took this, and had an extreme allergic reaction. I thought it was something else, but on day 5 his eyes swelled and his face broke out. It took a while to get out of the system. On the other hand, my 11 year old daughter is taking Strattera 25mg, and it has worked great for her. She is reading like crazy, and she's never been able to focus enough to read. When ever she took stimulants, she would get a lot of stuff done, but she would be anxious and sad. This medication is the only one that she's taken that didn't make her sad. I rate it a 5 because it worked terrible for one child, but has been great for the other."

Mom of 3 with ADHD (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 15, 2015

For ADHD "I was prescribed Strattera for ADD 40 mg. and I was only on it for 6 days. I was warned about the side effect of having nausea and to eat before taking meds in the morning. I started Strattera on a Saturday morning and by that night I had diarrhea so bad that I thought I would have to sleep sitting on the toilet, I also had the feelings of being constantly angry, I had really bad headaches, depression, tireness, it worsened my anxiety and any time I would eat I ended up on the toilet for quite a while. I was put on Strattera to help me with my ADD lack of concentration, etc, needless to say, it didn't work what so ever. My poor butt thanked me when I quit taking it, hahaha."

Toni P. August 12, 2015

For ADHD "It's maybe my 5th week on the drug, noticed an increase in my productivity and feel like I can get a lot done. Although I'm suffering from nausea and slight headaches, I'm taking other medications so it's hard to say. Tried Ritalin, Ritalin XR and Dex amphetamine also. This isn't as aggressive as Dex, but Dex is my preference in comparison to this. Though it's still early days!"

Anonymous123+ August 11, 2015

For ADHD "It works, is all I can say. Started on the sample pack at age 12 (I am 16 now, but will never forget my experience). It worked, I cannot say that it didn't, but it gave me the worst side effects possible. After about a month of the medicine, I was diagnosed with depression as a result of Straterra. When I took it, in probably 2011, the box said, "may cause suicidal thoughts or actions", which my physician did not warn me about. Then all of the sudden I was extremely depressed and suicidal and my psychiatrist discovered that Straterra was the cause. He has had several cases before where the mental illness was caused by a drug, and nothing else. Good medicine, just beware of the side effects!"

Ams2017 (taken for less than 1 month) August 1, 2015

For ADHD "I've been on Straterra for about two months and am up to 40mgs, with the exception of dry mouth and some manageable stomach aches, the medication seems to work pretty well--and subtly too. I am a very young 48 and I was diagnosed as "hyperactive" in 1972. I was on Ritalin at a very young age. While it's NOT a cure, it works much better than stimulant medications as an adult--I read better and seem to not interrupt as much. Coffee effects me quite a bit and if I keep it down that helps too. I was worried about all of the reviews of sexual side effects--I seem to be up and running, this worried me a lot. Once again, I'm not saying Staterra this is a cure all, but my experience seems to be very different than many reviews I have read"

kcpdx (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 1, 2015

For ADHD "Son is making vast improvements in school. Focus very much improved. Self confidence increasing."

momma5555 July 25, 2015

For ADHD "I hate this medication. My doctor gave it to me and says to keep taking it in order to feel the effects but I took it a few hours ago, I have the shakes, I get so hot and feel totally out of it. I can't wait til this feeling is over. I will not take it again"

Jdfjdjsh July 25, 2015

For ADHD "I'm 30 and have taken several types of ADD medications since I was young. I stopped taking Adderall/Ritalin when I graduated from college (about 25 yrs old) because I did not like the side effect, particularly loss of appetite and jitteriness. I have since had to get back on meds because I have a sales job and I was making mistakes at work. I started on 25 mg a couple months back and it worked great at first, but has tapered off some. I wasn't sure if it was still working, but at night when the morning pill wares off and I can't get anything done and I'm super scatterbrained. That tells me it is working. I should probably take the doctor recommend evening dose, as well. Only complaint on side effects would be extreme sleep spells."

primus84 July 25, 2015

For ADHD "I started taking strattera at 25mg. The first week was crazy I felt like I could do anything. I had so much time on my hands and accomplished so much. I no longer had to fight with myself to wake up. I had so much energy and "the foggy" feeling was gone. I could focus and what I had to do do it and then move on to the next. It was wonderful. The only side effect I had was insomnia but that went a way after the first week and it was easily resolved with some meditation. After that I started to settle in because I was getting used to it the feelings were dying down. I missed the sense of euphoria the first week had brought but I was still plenty productive and over all my social relationships ad improved. After 3 months I am starting 40mg."

Anonymous July 19, 2015

For ADHD "I was diagnosed with depression/ anxiety after I failed several add medications due to severe constipation. Recently, l learned about taking probiotics for constipation and tried Strattera again. Wow, what a difference. I am much more emotionally stable/focused than I have ever been. Anxiety disappeared. Depression is almost unnoticeable. I'm on Pristiq 50mg for depression/anxiety and two days ago, I upped my dose of Strattera to 60mg. I was at 40mg for 30 days and I was much more stable emotionally, better focused & functional. So far, at 60mg, I'm fully focused and no longer feeling slightly tired. Side effects wise, slow urination is almost gone. Sexual side effects are moderate and dry mouth is slight. Give it time to work!!!"

Cubae July 17, 2015

For ADHD "within the first week i started getting moderate then severe headaches, that nothing helped (tylenol, advil, aleve, aspirin, natural remedies etc) nothing touched them, and my adhd symptoms persisted so they made my dose higher and the bigger the dose, the bigger the headache, until i couldn't stand it, and i just stopped taking it after 2 months of severe headaches, and they were so bad i couldnt tell if it worked for attention since i was too distracted by my headaches! so i was getting distracted either way! then finally after coming off for a month and being put on intuniv later, no more headaches! and i can actually focus although i don't speak for everyone, there should really be a warning of severe headaches on the label!!"

salgal21 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 12, 2015

For ADHD "I was given a starter pack of a month long supply of Strattera from my Psychiatrist. I'm currently about two weeks in (starts you at 20mg and ends at 80mg) and the reason I am giving the drug this rating is due to me being unsure about how it's affected me thus far. When I first started to take it my anxiety subsided and I felt normal and back on track again. This lasted for the first week. I was even able to travel alone to be with my fiancé in Mexico. I've never traveled much, let alone by myself. I did this with ease. Now back from my trip and having increased the dosage to I believe 60 or 80 right now, I don't feel the same. Sadly. :-( I'm disheartened because I thought this was my cure all after a terrible winter."

Leaping Larry July 11, 2015

For ADHD "well...... it worked. that's about all I can say.You'll be able to focus, and if you don't mind the fact that the ONLY thing you'll be able to focus on is how tired, nauseated, and occasionally slightly mad you feel, this is the medicine for you. despite that, it's worth nothing that i'm only 17 and ~130 pounds which is really close to the minimum weight on the box. based on what i've seen, it seems to work better for ~30 year olds who aren't underweight. not a professional, obviously, though, so take this with a grain of salt."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) July 3, 2015

For ADHD "Did absolutely nothing."

Bernard0071 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 30, 2015

For ADHD "15 and diagnosed this year. I have been on it for 4 months (in conjunction with cipralex). Made a massive difference to my concentration levels and sustained energy, I had no idea it was possible to be this productive. Nausea was awful the first week (even threw up once) but faded quickly. I still need to eat alongside it to prevent nausea but since I take it at breakfast time its not a problem. only persistent side effect has been weight loss - abt 7 kgs in past 4 months - mostly due to appetite loss. I was on concerta (ritalin XR) beforehand and the side effects such as heart palpitations and insomnia were awful, also didn't help my adhd symptoms at all. I'd recommend strattera to people who've had bad results with stimulant adhd meds."

jamesy101 June 26, 2015

For ADHD "Did not seem to notice much improvement, was on it for probably 8-10 wks."

Genesee1207 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 14, 2015

For ADHD "I had been on Ritilan for 10 years and found I kept increasingly the dose every year or so. I went on this medication and got so sick. I was very angry and had urges to hurt people I cared about. It felt so weird my hair felt like it was growing tingly feeling. Vision impairment etc, I stopped taking this when I had such strong urges to strangle someone. Very scary. This medication is not for me."

tink0824 (taken for less than 1 month) June 10, 2015

For ADHD "I am an adult with ADD. I took Strattera according to my doctors recommendations, starting with 25mg and upping the dosage to 80mg gradually for 6 weeks. I noticed nausea almost immediately after I started taking the medicine along with unusual bouts of tiredness. I continued with the plan as I was told some of the initial side effects would ease as my body became accustomed. The side effects began to get worse, with frequent sweats, occasional sore throat, EXTREME tiredness, and the worst constipation I have ever had. I will say that my ability to stay focused was improved dramatically, but the side effects made it impossible to stay on the medicine."

snickerVP June 5, 2015

For ADHD "Hated it!!! I was taking adderall for a year and it started making me feel anxious maybe one day a week. I was switched to this and once I started it my anxiety got really bad. I've never had a problem with anxiety and I really feel for the people that suffer from chronic anxiety! I also had a problem with dropping blood pressure (could be from adderall withdraw tho) I also had HORRIBLE mood swings. As soon as I would take it I was very negative about everything. I'm so glad to be off it now and so is my boyfriend!!"

anxiousdre June 5, 2015

For ADHD "• Comprehension: Before: If you wanted me to pay attention, understand something, or even acknowledge it, you would often have to repeat it several times. I would misread or misunderstand things more than the average person. After: I understand most communication right away, including the emotions and attitude of the other person, which were often not even on my radar before. • Interpersonal Communication: Before: I was very likely to interrupt others. I wouldn't wait for others to speak before continuing my conversation. I came across as very harsh & critical. After: I'm better at engaging in appropriate give-and-take in conversation. I communicate in a much appropriate friendly tone. Dealing with adversity: Before: Even trivial matters would provoke a negative reaction, ruin my mood or trigger impulsive/disruptive behavior. I’d get down on myself for minor mistakes After: Even when things don’t go the way I like them to go, I handle things in a much more mature, measured way. When something goes wrong, I’m more likely to laugh it off than I used to. I’m more even keeled, less likely to fly off the handle."

DutchRN (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 4, 2015

For ADHD "I couldn't handle the side affects. Night sweats with intense anxiety and nausea. Couldn't sleep. Terrible. Only lasted 2 weeks."

CrazyCatLady200 May 9, 2015