Medication Guide App

User Reviews for Strattera

Learn more about Strattera.

ADHD 159 reviews 31 medications

Summary of Strattera reviews 159 reviews 6.0

Reviews for Strattera

Review by TXNchick:

For ADHD: Diagnosed with having ADHD in my early 20's. Dr. wanted me to try out Strattera before a stimulant since I also have anxiety and he feared a med like Adderrall would make it worst. This is my second month on it and it does seem to be working. I am better able to concentrate and my head seems more "clear". I'm on 80mg. Stomach-aches and drowsiness started off horrible when I first began taking this med but these side effects are almost gone. Still get dry mouth which ranges from mild to "it feels like I've eaten cotton and sand". Unless the side effects are too intense for you, I would at least give this med two months. Think it gets such a bad rep because people don't give it a chance.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 18, 2015 9:26 AM

Review by richie oc (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For ADHD: In my 30's, energy levels dropped and found life more challenging. I would wonder how I could get through the day. I took adderall but could feel that it wasn't right. I guess it felt too much of a party drug. After a few doses, I actually just felt, I suppose buzzed, not able to complete tasks. Perhaps the dose wasn't high enough? I went to my doctor with a list of meds. and notes. He picked up on straterra, which wasn't top. The instructions said it may take a month to work! It was instant! I am less irritable, have more mental energy. My brain must have been tired and my thoughts are more positive than negative. I have all the side effects, inconsistently. They are far outweighed by ++. Also try matcha green tea!!

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 13, 2015 11:10 AM

Review by Tim234515:

For ADHD: Made me feel totally disconnected from social interaction,life,etc. its like it closed my head in.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 10, 2015 12:05 PM

Review by jcwm5727:

For ADHD: My son five has ADHD and anxiety and still further diagnosing. He was on it for a month and half and he was so awesome on it. Dr did 40 mg a day and love how it works throughout whole day. Unfortantly insurance did not want to approve before age six and it cost over 370 dollars. I've gone through way too many medicines with him. Once he turns six you best to believe we are going right back to it!

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 27, 2015 11:32 AM

Review by Bipolar party of two:

For ADHD: I'm ADD and Bipolar. Strattera has helped give me a laser like focus in the morning. If I don't get enough sleep I can't stay awake (it seems to cause drowsiness) but if I am well rested, I am on task. The only negative is as the day wears on, it seems to lose effectiveness. I could use another dose by 3pm. I am thirsty all the time, dry mouth and not very hungry. I'm on my 2nd month and seeing how it goes. I've tried Adderall that made me way too nervous and Effexor which didn't do enough.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 24, 2015 9:36 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

For ADHD: This medicine was awful for me. I felt nauseous taking it, moodiness and had a hard time staying awake after 3-4 hours. I also had a hard time driving during that time too. Do not like it

March 16, 2015 4:16 AM

Review by Kazzarazza:

For ADHD: Gums started hurting 2nd day 3rd day unbearable and face started to swell had to lie down as dizzy , violently sick, pins and needles in hand , very unhappy tooth ache I as trying to tolerate as got told takes time to work but I was in to much pain so phoned Dr who told me to stop taking it, I never want to take this drug ever again I feel very unwell. No help at all to my AHHD just feel completely Unwell

February 23, 2015 9:27 AM

Review by very great (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For ADHD: I have been on Strattera for 5 weeks now. I'm 48 years old and have been treated for bipolar and anxiety disorders from the age 19, have tried dozens of med combinations and have been hospitalized a few times when unable to cope. This last time a therapist suggested it may be ADHD and doctor put me on 40mg... its a night and day difference. I have never in my life had this kind of clarity and focus and other then dry mouth and a bit of a lost appetite side effect which is much better then past combinations.

February 14, 2015 6:19 PM

Review by Sean Lee (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For ADHD: My son, now 10, was diagnosed with impulse control issues. He has always had As and Bs in school and always loves to read. He gets bored alot in class and his impulse control (blurting out, saying what's on his mind/no filter) had caused him to be put in alternative school (where his grades began to falter). Over the summer, we had him evaluated and they said that meds would help. Our general physician didn't want to put him on a stimulant and suggested Straterra. First 2 months @ 60mg. Lost 15lbs (which put him at the right weight actually) and slept all the time. Backed off to 40mg since then and he's maintained his weight, sleeps well and maintained grades. Too bad our monthly script cost increased x9. Looking for a cheaper alternative.

February 2, 2015 10:52 AM

Review by Jonathan C (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For ADHD: I started with a low dose and then took the highest dose. I noticed nothing for the first two months and then I felt suicidal, derpressed and it did nothing for my ADHD. It was costly even with insurance and I had to stop taking it. Now I'm stuck with my ADHD and never have I felt worse than I did on this medication. It messes with your mind.

January 29, 2015 11:29 AM

Review by Nick31 (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For ADHD: It's the only ADD med that actually works for me. The higher the dose the clearer I think (male 5'11 185). However, if my dose is over 40mg (I've taken as much as a 100mg) then I get erectile dysfunction, penis shrinkage and dry mouth. Once I lowered my dose to 40mg I stopped concentrating as good but the side effects went away too.

January 23, 2015 12:38 PM

Review by Raymond m:

For ADHD: 40 yr old male newly diagnosed first time to take ADD meds. Small dose definitely gave focus, but mind was racing at night. Bad sleep, woke up many times, clock seems to tick very slow. Noticeable side effects included: decreased urine flow, ED, shrinkage and semen leakage prior to climax. Got up to 40mg and quit.

January 8, 2015 9:45 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For ADHD: (18 years old, 104lbs, 5'0) I was on 25 mg and switched to 40mg as I hadn't noticed anything after a month. So far I have dry mouth sometimes, feel more tired, nausea after taking pill. Also, those around had noticed that I am blah all the time after I take it and that I completely change from my upbeat personality to very flat. I will be talking to my doctor about taking a stimulant instead so I won't have to take it everyday.

January 2, 2015 3:32 PM

Review by Zachary S (taken for less than 1 month):

For ADHD: I am on a trial pack starting from 25 mg with an increases of 15 - 20 mg a week. I am at my second week at 40mg and so for all I feel is the side effects. I found that if I take it on an empty stomach I get extremely nauseous for about and hour or two. I can't really tell if it's working yet since I'm only in my second week, but so far I'm not too optimistic. I was on Wellbutrin before and that had little to no effect on me. I don't feel depressed at all but I will say my anxiety has diminished. As for the ADD I guess will just have to wait and see.

December 16, 2014 10:08 AM

Review by tayce (taken for less than 1 month):

For ADHD: I'm only on day 1 with 40mg dose, but I noticed the front of my brain hurts and I'm endlessly thirsty. Getting up and sitting down has made me a little dizzy also. Hope it gets better with time or I'll ask doc for a change of meds.

December 9, 2014 6:25 AM

Review by CollegeGal:

For ADHD: I had taken Adderall, Concerta and other ADHD medications which all caused me to lose my appetite, get moody or come down from it and I felt I wasn't able to be myself. Strattera took a few weeks to kick in, I fell asleep constantly for the first two-four weeks (I know lots of people jump the Strattera ship then saying it is not working or making them sleepy) but after 4 weeks I started to feel like myself again. Except my mind got clearer, I could organize my room/now apartment, do all my school work, do everything I need to do, have better conversations and do not binge eat. I take 40mg and have had no side effects from it. It also helps my anxiety. It is my miracle.

126 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 3, 2014 12:50 PM

Review by Amb0472:

For ADHD: I started taking Strattera a few weeks ago for ADD. I have noticed it makes me really calm compared to my usual ways. It helps me focus a little better than I used to but I am still not really focused during class. I take 80mg a day, yes I know that's a lot but that's what was prescribed for me. I have completely lost my appetite. Some days go by and I realize I haven't eaten anything. I have lost 10 lbs. Other than that it just gives me a really dry mouth. I always take over the counter sleep aids so I always sleep fine. I wonder if I should try Adderall? Concerta I have already tried and did not like it.

November 26, 2014 5:03 PM

Review by spaz2 (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For ADHD: I had been on Strattera for 8 years. It did great but within last year things seemed to change. I thought it wasn't working due to my memory and concentration but now being off for about a month realize it was doing a lot. I am now having headaches lack of motivation loosing temper easily etc. My family and friends see a significant change in my behavior. (Negative change). Concentration and focus have always been an issue on and off medicine so I just have to work harder with it. Also realize it takes more than this medicine to really have success.

November 25, 2014 12:09 PM

Review by Beckaaaa:

For ADHD: The only ADHD medicine that has worked for me without bad side effects. I've been on Ritalin, Adderal and Adderal XR.

55 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 23, 2014 11:11 PM

Review by suezzzzz:

For ADHD: Strattera helped my ADD very little and suppressed my appetite and I lost all ability to sleep even though I was always tired.

October 29, 2014 12:32 PM

Review by Ahhhhhhhhh:

For ADHD: This is the start of my 3rd day in this medications. I am in 25mg once a day. So far I notice it makes me a little sleepy, dry mouth and gives tingle sensation on my head. Although benefits so far have been that I passed my quiz for college 100% and was able to FINISH multiple tasks yesterday! Only third day so we'll see how it progresses with my body. AGE: 21, 110lbs, F

October 27, 2014 12:45 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

For ADHD: I am a female, age 21, weight: 110. First day taking it I experienced: dry mouth, fatigue, head tingles and no sign of concentration benefits yet. I know that it's supposed to start to work after a few days. Definite appetite suppressant but I still ate meals. You feel as if you know when it's wearing off. I'll keep updating as the days go by.

October 26, 2014 3:16 AM

Review by Feronti:

For ADHD: My son, 11, was taking Strattera and it did not work out well for him. His ADHA is rather mild, and I thought this could help him with a few of his struggles. However, the side effects outweighed the benefits. The most extreme side effect didn't really hit until about a month into taking Strattera. He became very emotional, would lash out disrespectfully and within 5 minutes would be crying and saying how sorry he was. His brain clarity actually was WORSE. He has always been a honor student and suddenly couldn't remember his multiplication facts. Last side effect was his appetite was suppressed. He has been off the medication for 5 days and I have my kid back.

70 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 24, 2014 11:03 AM

Review by Obsessivelycurious (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For ADHD: Nothing would quite fix me. Not antidepressants, or therapy or Adderall. Depressed all the time, screaming on the inside. Had days I literally could not do anything. Unfocused at work, hated my job, life and wife. Changed psych doctors, prescribed Strattera, titrated more slowly than sample pack, got up to 60 mg. Way happier. Less sensitive - don't get hurt easily. Take criticism better. Wife notices big difference in mood- always thought it was depression. It's ADD and Strattera is perfect for it. Just hope it keeps working!

164 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 3, 2014 8:10 PM

Review by onyxx2k65:

For ADHD: So far so good. Been taking about a week now & no noticeable side effects. Had to quit Adderall due to symptoms in re my heart. I have High Blood Pressure & ended up in ER for a myriad of strange & scary heart-related issues. PCP wanted me off Adderall since it's a stimulant & suggested Strattera as it is a SNRI. I take a SSRI for depression without incident so with this new one I guess time will tell.

September 2, 2014 9:55 AM