Pro-Pen-G InjectionThis page contains information on Pro-Pen-G Injection for veterinary use.
The information provided typically includes the following:
- Pro-Pen-G Injection Indications
- Warnings and cautions for Pro-Pen-G Injection
- Direction and dosage information for Pro-Pen-G Injection
Pro-Pen-G InjectionThis treatment applies to the following species:
PENICILLIN G PROCAINE INJECTABLE SUSPENSION
FOR CATTLE, SWINE, SHEEP & HORSES
300,000 Units per mL
NOT FOR USE IN HUMANS • KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN
For Intramuscular Use Only
Penicillin G Procaine Injectable Suspension Alternative Method is available in 100-mL, 250-mL and 500-mL multiple-dose vials. Each mL contains: Active Ingredients: Penicillin G potassium 300,000 units*, Procaine hydrochloride 130.8 mg*. Inactive Ingredients: Methylparaben 1.3 mg, Propylparaben 0.2 mg, Sodium citrate 10 mg, Sodium carboxymethylcellulose 1 mg, Povidone 5 mg, Lecithin 6 mg, Sodium formaldehyde sulfoxylate 0.2 mg, Procaine hydrochloride 20 mg, and Water for Injection, q.s.
*Penicillin G potassium and Procaine hydrochloride react to form penicillin G procaine.
ACTIONS: Penicillin G is an effective bactericide in the treatment of infections caused primarily by penicillin-sensitive organisms, such as Streptococcus equi and Erysipelothrix rhusiopathiae, as well as the gram negative organism Pasteurella multocida.
Pro-Pen-G Injection Indications
Penicillin G procaine is indicated for the treatment of:
1. Cattle and sheep - bacterial pneumonia (shipping fever) caused by Pasteurella multocida.
2. Swine - erysipelas caused by Erysipelothrix rhusiopathiae.
3. Horses - strangles caused by Streptococcus equi.
Directions For Use
The suspension should be administered by deep intramuscular injection within the fleshy muscles of the hip, rump, round or thigh, or into the neck, changing the site for each injection. Do not inject subcutaneously, into a blood vessel, or near a major nerve.
Use a 16 or 18 gauge needle, 1.5 inches long. The needle and syringe should be washed thoroughly before use. The needle and syringe should then be sterilized by placing in boiling water for 15 to 20 minutes. No vial should be entered more than 15 times with a 16 gauge needle or more than 40 times with an 18 gauge needle. The injection site should be washed with soap and water and painted with a germicide such as tincture of iodine or 70% alcohol. The product should then be administered by using the following procedure:
1. Warm the vial to room temperature and shake thoroughly to ensure uniform suspension.
2. Wipe the rubber stopper on top of the vial with a piece of absorbent cotton soaked in 70% alcohol.
3. Inject air into the vial for easier withdrawal.
4. After filling the syringe, make sure that the needle is empty by pulling back the plunger of the syringe until a small air bubble appears. Then detach the needle from the syringe.
5. Insert the needle deep into the muscle, attach the syringe and withdraw the plunger slightly. If blood appears, withdraw the needle and insert it into a different location.
6. Inject the dose slowly. Do not massage the site of injection.
7. Not more than 10 mL should be injected in one location.
Daily treatment should be continued for at least 48 hours after temperature has returned to normal and all other signs of infection have subsided. Animals treated with Penicillin G Procaine Injectable Suspension Alternative Method should show noticeable improvement within 36 to 48 hours.
DOSAGE: The dosage for cattle, sheep, swine, and horses is 3000 units per pound of bodyweight, or 1.0 mL for each 100 pounds of bodyweight, once daily. Treatment should not exceed 7 days in non-lactating dairy and beef cattle, sheep, and swine, or 5 days in lactating dairy cattle. If no improvement is observed within 48 hours, consult your veterinarian.
1. Not for use in horses intended for food.
2. Milk that has been taken from animals during treatment and for 48 hours after the last treatment must not be used for food. The daily treatment schedule should not exceed seven (7) days of treatment in non-lactating dairy and beef cattle, sheep and swine, or five (5) days in lactating dairy cattle.
3. The drug should be discontinued for the following time periods before treated animals are slaughtered for food: Cattle - 4 days, Sheep - 8 days, Swine - 6 days, non-ruminating calves - 7 days.
PrecautionsSensitivity reactions to penicillin and procaine, such as hives or respiratory distress, may occur in some animals. If such signs of sensitivity occur, stop medication and call your veterinarian. In some instances, particularly if respiratory distress is severe, immediate injection of epinephrine or antihistamine may be necessary. As with any antibiotic preparation, prolonged use may result in overgrowth of non-susceptible organisms, including fungi. If this condition is suspected, stop medication and consult your veterinarian.
Exceeding the highest recommended daily dosage of 3000 units per pound of body weight, administering at recommended levels for more than 7 consecutive days and/or exceeding 10 mL intramuscularly per injection site may result in antibiotic residues beyond the withdrawal time.
How SuppliedPenicillin G Procaine Injectable Suspension Alternative Method is supplied in 100-mL, 250-mL and 500-mL multiple-dose vials.
STORE BETWEEN 2°C - 8°C (36°F - 46°F). PROTECT FROM FREEZING. WARM TO ROOM TEMPERATURE AND SHAKE WELL BEFORE USING. RESTRICTED DRUG (CALIFORNIA) - USE ONLY AS DIRECTED. DISPOSE OF CONTAINERS IN AN APPROVED LANDFILL OR BY INCINERATION.
Manufactured For: Bimeda, Inc., Le Sueur, MN 56058
NADA 065-505, Approved by FDA
Pro-Pen-G® is a Registered Trademark of Bimeda, Inc.
N.A Corp. Address: Bimeda, Inc., One Tower Lane, Oakbrook Terrace, IL 60181
MADE IN USA
8PRO319 Rev. 10/13
100 mL Sterile, Multiple Dose Vial
8PRO313 Rev. 10/13
250 mL Sterile, Multiple Dose Vial
8PRO315 Rev. 10/13
500 mL Sterile, Multiple Dose Vial
8PRO317 Rev. 10/13
NAC No.: 1399066.8
Div. Cross Vetpharm Group, Ltd.
ONE TOWER LANE-SUITE 2250, OAKBROOK TERRACE, IL, 60181
|Every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the Pro-Pen-G Injection information published above. However, it remains the responsibility of the readers to familiarize themselves with the product information contained on the US product label or package insert.|
Copyright © 2018 Animalytix LLC. Updated: 2018-10-31