Lockout (Canada)This page contains information on Lockout for veterinary use.
The information provided typically includes the following:
- Lockout Indications
- Warnings and cautions for Lockout
- Direction and dosage information for Lockout
LockoutThis treatment applies to the following species:
Non-Antibiotic Intramammary Teat Sealant
Aids in prevention of new intramammary infections
Treats 36 animals
Blue color indicator
Each syringe of LOCKOUT contains 4 grams of a sterile, non-antibiotic, blue, smooth paste composed of 60% bismuth subnitrate in a mineral oil vehicle.
LOCKOUT aids in the prevention of new intramammary infections by providing a malleable barrier in the teat canal in non-lactating dairy cattle. This aids in preventing bacteria from entering the teat canal which results in a reduced incidence of mastitis. It is recommended that LOCKOUT be used as part of a herd approach to mastitis control.
Administer one syringe into each teat using recommended administration technique, described below.
1. Begin by ensuring each quarter has been completely milked out.
2. Proper hygiene is crucial. Remember to keep syringes clean, and replace or disinfect disposable gloves between each cow or when soiled. DO NOT immerse syringes in water prior to use.
3. If recommended by your farm protocol, administer antimicrobial dry cow treatment, as per label.
4. Scrub each teat end with a 70-percent-alcohol-soaked pad, starting on teats farthest away.
5. Remove the cap from the LOCKOUT non-antibiotic internal teat sealant tube, being careful to not touch the tip and maintain proper hygiene.
6. Infuse teats in the opposite order to cleaning (i.e., treat the quarters nearest to you first).
7. Pinch the teat where it joins the base of the udder. This helps position the LOCKOUT paste in the teat canal.
8. Apply LOCKOUT using partial-insertion technique, starting on the closest teat (opposite order of cleaning). NOTE the plunger only travels one half inch.
9. Rest assured that a full dose has been administered when our application indicator fully recedes into the syringe. DO NOT massage LOCKOUT teat sealant into the udder.
10. Apply a post-milking teat disinfectant.
1. DO NOT remove LOCKOUT by action of milking machine.
2. At calving thoroughly hand-strip every teat beginning at the top of the teat and working down. Express a minimum of 10 to 12 strips per teat. Repeat until product is fully removed before milking. Ingestion by calves is safe and produces no adverse effects.
3. Identification: LOCKOUT is the first non-antibiotic internal teat sealant to feature a visible blue paste that’s easy to distinguish from milk during removal.
4. Remove milk from fresh cows for a minimum of 72 hours, per normal post-calving procedure. See important withdrawal information below.
For use in dry dairy cows and replacement dairy heifers only. If accidentally administered to a lactating cow, product can be stripped out by hand. If LOCKOUT is administered following an antibiotic infusion, the withdrawal periods for meat and milk for the antibiotic must be observed. LOCKOUT has a zero-day milk and meat withdrawal when used alone.
USER SAFETY WARNINGS:
Not for use in humans. Keep out of the reach of children. If LOCKOUT gets on skin, wash with soap and warm water.
ANIMAL SAFETY WARNINGS AND PRECAUTIONS:
Each teat must be cleaned and disinfected prior to infusion of LOCKOUT. Ingestion of LOCKOUT by calves is safe, and produces no adverse effects. See ADMINISTRATION section.
LOCKOUT is available in single-dose syringes, each containing 4 grams of paste, packed in a pail of 144 units. Each syringe is sufficient for one teat.
Store at room temperature, 15°-30°C. In very cold temperatures, LOCKOUT may become difficult to administer and should be warmed to room temperature. Do not immerse individual syringes in water to warm.
Merial Canada Inc., 5180 South Service Road, Burlington, ON, L7L 5H4
Merial is now part of Boehringer Ingelheim
5180 SOUTH SERVICE ROAD, BURLINGTON, ON, L7L 5H4
|Customer Care No.:||1-800-567-1885|
|Technical Services No.:||1-877-565-5501|
|Every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the Lockout information published above. However, it remains the responsibility of the readers to familiarize themselves with the product information contained on the Canadian product label or package insert.|
Copyright © 2019 Animalytix LLC. Updated: 2019-09-30