Gelmate (Canada)This page contains information on Gelmate for veterinary use.
The information provided typically includes the following:
- Gelmate Indications
- Warnings and cautions for Gelmate
- Direction and dosage information for Gelmate
GelmateThis treatment applies to the following species:
WHEN TO TEST:
The Gelmate test is for the detection of acute and chronic inflammation in farm animals. The higher the concentration of inflammatory proteins, mainly gammaglobulin and fibrinogen, the quicker the formation of a solid clot when whole blood is added to the reagent. Each tube contains specially stabilized glutaraldehyde, EDTA, and a wetting agent.
A. WHOLE BLOOD
1. Add 1 ml whole blood to fill tube to blue line on Gelmate tube (fresh or EDTA blood).
2. Swirl tube to ensure mixing & note time.
3. Tilt tube at 2, 5 & 10 minutes - when blood no longer flows invert tube and gently tap - clot should remain firmly in place.
4. END POINT IS FORMATION OF A FIRM CLOT - IF THIS OCCURS IN:
<5 MIN there is significant inflammation
5-10 MIN there is moderate inflammation
Typical gammaglobulin and fibrinogen levels:
Clot <5 Minutes:
History of patient is important as inflammation within a few weeks of testing may result in a positive Gelmate even if problem has resolved.
Examples of conditions causing elevations in inflammatory proteins: pleurisy, internal abscesses, peritonitis, traumatic reticuloperitonitis.
False readings can occur with severe anemia (excessive plasma) or severe dehydration (reduced plasma).
The glutaraldehyde reagent is caustic, if skin or eye contact occurs wash with copious amount of water & consult physician.
DO NOT LEAVE TUBES IN HOT SUN
Recommend storage at 4°C
1. Bendixen, HJ. Nord. Vet Med. 1954, 6. 187-194
2. Liberg, P. Acta vet. Scand. 1973, 14. 712-722
3. Liberg, P. et al. Acta vet. Scand. 1975, 16. 236-243
4. Nansen, P. & K. Nielsen.Can J. comp. Med. 1966, 30. 327-331
5. Sandholm, M. Res. vet. Sci. 1974, 17. 32-35
6. Aslund, O. Nord. Vet Med. 1961, 13. 96-103
7. Nielsen, K. Dansk Vet. Tidsskr. 1975, 58. 652-655
8. Hansen, K. Dansk Vet. Tidsskr. 1985, 68. 151-156
PLASSVACC®, 1535 Templeton Road, Templeton, CA 93465
Distributed by: Centaur V.A.
Presentation: 10 and 25 tests per kit.
NAC No.: 12530042
1535 TEMPLETON ROAD, TEMPLETON, CA, 93465
|Every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the Gelmate information published above. However, it remains the responsibility of the readers to familiarize themselves with the product information contained on the Canadian product label or package insert.|
Copyright © 2018 North American Compendiums. Updated: 2018-09-03