Winstrol Side Effects
Generic Name: stanozolol
Note: This document contains side effect information about stanozolol. Some of the dosage forms listed on this page may not apply to the brand name Winstrol.
Applies to stanozolol: oral tablet
Genitourinary effect following chronic administration and/or large dosages of anabolic steroids can result in oligospermia and decreased ejaculatory volume. Elderly male patients may experience prostatic enlargement resulting in urinary obstruction. Priapism and excessive stimulation may develop.
In female patients the use of anabolic steroids may result in virilization including deepening voice, hirsutism, acne, clitomegaly (not reversible), and menstrual abnormalities. Discontinuation of medication at signs of mild virilization may prevent irreversible virilization.
Alterations in libido may occur (increased/decreased).[Ref]
Life-threatening peliosis hepatis and hepatic abnormalities including hepatic neoplasms and hepatocellular carcinomas have occurred following prolonged therapy with high doses of anabolic steroids. Tumor regression did not occur in all cases following medication withdrawal.
Cholestatic hepatitis, jaundice, and abnormal liver function tests occur at relatively low doses.[Ref]
In female patients the use of anabolic steroids has resulted in virilization including deepening voice, hirsutism, acne, clitomegaly (not reversible), and menstrual abnormalities. Discontinuation of stanozolol (the active ingredient contained in Winstrol) at signs of mild virilization may prevent irreversible virilization.[Ref]
Androgenic activity associated with anabolic steroids is involved in termination of linear bone growth by closure of the epiphyseal growth centers. Appropriate monitoring of bone age is recommended during stanozolol (the active ingredient contained in Winstrol) use in prepubertal patients.[Ref]
Oncologic effects following prolonged therapy with large doses of anabolic steroids have included hepatic neoplasms and hepatocellular carcinomas.[Ref]
Hematologic effects occurring during anabolic steroid therapy include alteration in clotting factors II, V, VII and X , prolonged prothrombin time (PT), and increased red cell production.[Ref]
During exogenous administration of anabolic steroids, endogenous testosterone release is inhibited through feedback inhibition of pituitary luteinizing hormone (LH). Large doses of exogenous anabolic steroids may suppress spermatogenesis through inhibition of pituitary follicle stimulating hormone (FSH).
Decreased glucose tolerance requiring adjustments in hyperglycemic control has occurred in diabetic patients during anabolic steroid therapy.[Ref]
Metabolic effects occurring during anabolic steroid therapy in immobilized patients or those with metastatic breast disease include osteolytic-induced hypercalcemia.
Anabolic steroids effect electrolyte balance, nitrogen retention, and urinary calcium excretion. Edema, with and without congestive heart failure, has occurred during anabolic steroid therapy.
The androgenic activity of anabolic steroids may decrease levels of thyroxin-binding globulin, resulting in decreased total T4 serum levels and increased resin uptake of T3 and T4. Free thyroid hormone levels remain unchanged, however, and there is no clinical evidence of thyroid dysfunction.
Significant increases in low density lipoproteins (LDL) and decreases in high density lipoproteins (HDL) have occurred.[Ref]
Anabolic steroids cause retention of nitrogen, sodium, potassium, chloride, water and phosphorus, and decrease urinary excretion of calcium. Patients should be instructed to report edema.[Ref]
1. "Product Information. Winstrol (stanozolol)." Sanofi Winthrop Pharmaceuticals, New York, NY.
2. Cicardi M, Castelli R, Zingale LC, Agostoni A "Side effects of long-term prophylaxis with attenuated androgens in hereditary angioedema: comparison of treated and untreated patients." J Allergy Clin Immunol 99 (1997): 194-6
4. Sheffer AL, Fearon DT, Austen KF "Hereditary angioedema: a decade of management with stanozolol [published erratum appears in J Allergy Clin Immunol 1988 Jun;81(6):1208." J Allergy Clin Immunol 80 (1987): 855-60
5. Sheffer AL, Fearon DT, Austen KF "Clinical and biochemical effects of stanozolol therapy for hereditary angioedema." J Allergy Clin Immunol 68 (1981): 181-7
7. Bausserman LL, Saritelli AL, Herbert PN "Effects of short-term stanozolol administration on serum lipoproteins in hepatic lipase deficiency." Metabolism 46 (1997): 992-6
8. Slater SD, Davidson JF, Patrick RS "Jaundice induced by stanozolol hypersensitivity." Postgrad Med J 52 (1976): 229-32
9. Evely RS, Triger DR, Milnes JP, Low-Beer TS, Williams R "Severe cholestasis associated with stanozolol." Br Med J (Clin Res Ed) 294 (1987): 612-3
10. Falk H, Thomas LB, Popper H, Ishak KG "Hepatic angiosarcoma associated with androgenic-anabolic steroids." Lancet 2 (1979): 1120-3
11. Belch JJ, Madhok R, McArdle B, McLaughlin K, Kluft C, Forbes CD, Sturrock RD "The effect of increasing fibrinolysis in patients with rheumatoid arthritis: a double blind study of stanozolol." Q J Med 58 (1986): 19-27
12. Chesnut CH 3d, Ivey JL, Gruber HE, Matthews M, Nelp WB, Sisom K, Baylink DJ "Stanozolol in postmenopausal osteoporosis: therapeutic efficacy and possible mechanisms of action." Metabolism 32 (1983): 571-80
13. Liow RY, Tavares S "Bilateral rupture of the quadriceps tendon associated with anabolic steroids." Br J Sports Med 29 (1995): 77-9
14. Abu-Shakra S, Alhalabi MS, Nachtman FC, Schemidt RA, Brusilow WS "Anabolic steroids induce injury and apoptosis of differentiated skeletal muscle." J Neurosci Res 47 (1997): 186-97
15. Rosnick MJ "Use of anabolic steroid, stanozolol, to promote weight gain in underweight patients. IN UNDERWEIGHT PATIENTS." Clin Med 71 (1964): 989-95
Some side effects of Winstrol may not be reported. Always consult your doctor or healthcare specialist for medical advice. You may also report side effects to the FDA.
More about Winstrol (stanozolol)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- 1 Review – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: androgens and anabolic steroids
Related treatment guides
Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure that the information provided is accurate, up-to-date and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. In addition, the drug information contained herein may be time sensitive and should not be utilized as a reference resource beyond the date hereof. This material does not endorse drugs, diagnose patients, or recommend therapy. This information is a reference resource designed as supplement to, and not a substitute for, the expertise, skill , knowledge, and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. The absence of a warning for a given drug or combination thereof in no way should be construed to indicate safety, effectiveness, or appropriateness for any given patient. Drugs.com does not assume any responsibility for any aspect of healthcare administered with the aid of materials provided. The information contained herein is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, warnings, drug interactions, allergic reactions, or adverse effects. If you have questions about the substances you are taking, check with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.