Tetracycline topical Side Effects
For the Consumer
Applies to tetracycline topical: topical application cream, topical application ointment, topical application solution
Along with its needed effects, tetracycline topical may cause some unwanted effects. Although not all of these side effects may occur, if they do occur they may need medical attention.
Check with your doctor as soon as possible if any of the following side effects occur while taking tetracycline topical:
- Pain, redness, swelling, or other sign of irritation not present before use of this medicine
Some side effects of tetracycline topical may occur that usually do not need medical attention. These side effects may go away during treatment as your body adjusts to the medicine. Also, your health care professional may be able to tell you about ways to prevent or reduce some of these side effects. Check with your health care professional if any of the following side effects continue or are bothersome or if you have any questions about them:
For topical liquid form only
- Dry or scaly skin
- stinging or burning feeling
For cream and topical liquid forms only
- Faint yellowing of the skin, especially around hair roots
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to tetracycline topical: topical ointment, topical solution
Dermatitis has been reported rarely with topical application of tetracycline. One-third of patients may experience a stinging and burning sensation lasting no more than a few minutes. A faint yellowing of the skin has been reported, especially around the hair roots.[Ref]
Tetracycline topical is generally well tolerated. Side effects reported with systemic administered tetracycline such as gastrointestinal complaints, vaginitis, hematologic abnormalities, dental, and skeletal disorders have not been reported and are unlikely to occur with topical administration.[Ref]
1. "Product Information. Achromycin (tetracycline)." Lederle Laboratories, Wayne, NJ.
2. Fisher AA "Adverse reactions to topical clindamycin, erythromycin and tetracycline." Cutis 32 (1983): 415,419,424,428
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
Some side effects may not be reported. You may report them to the FDA.
More about tetracycline topical
- Tetracycline topical Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Drug Interactions
- 0 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: topical acne agents