Tetracycline topical Pregnancy and Breastfeeding Warnings
Tetracycline topical is also known as: Topicycline
Tetracycline topical Pregnancy Warnings
Tetracycline topical has been assigned to pregnancy category B by the FDA. Animal studies have not revealed evidence of embryotoxicity and teratogenicity. There are no controlled data in human pregnancy. Systemic administration of tetracycline has been associated with yellow-gray-brown discoloration of teeth in infants whose mothers took tetracycline in late pregnancy. Tetracycline topical is only recommended for use during pregnancy when benefits outweighs risk.
Tetracycline topical Breastfeeding Warnings
There are no data on the excretion of tetracycline topical into human milk. Systemic tetracycline is excreted into human milk in small amounts. Theoretical risks of dental staining and inhibition of bone growth exist, although unlikely. In one study, tetracycline levels were undetectable in nursing infants. Tetracycline is considered compatible with breast-feeding by the American Academy of Pediatrics.
References for pregnancy information
- "Product Information. Topicycline (tetracycline topical)." Roberts Pharmaceutical Corporation, Eatontown, NJ.
- Kline AH, Blattner RJ, Lunin M "Transplacental effect of tetracyclines on teeth." JAMA 188 (1964): 178-80
- Cohlan SQ, Bevelander G, Tiamsic T "Growth inhibition of prematures receiving tetracycline." Am J Dis Child 105 (1963): 453-61
References for breastfeeding information
- "Product Information. Achromycin (tetracycline)." Lederle Laboratories, Wayne, NJ.
- "Tetracycline in breast milk." Br Med J 4 (1969): 791
- Roberts RJ, Blumer JL, Gorman RL, et al "American Academy of Pediatrics Committee on Drugs: Transfer of drugs and other chemicals into human milk." Pediatrics 84 (1989): 924-36
Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure that the information provided by Cerner Multum, Wolters Kluwer Health and Drugs.com is accurate, up-to-date and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. In addition, the drug information contained herein may be time sensitive and should not be utilized as a reference resource beyond the date hereof. This material does not endorse drugs, diagnose patients, or recommend therapy. This drug information is a reference resource designed as supplement to, and not a substitute for, the expertise, skill , knowledge, and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. The absence of a warning for a given drug or combination thereof in no way should be construed to indicate that the drug or combination is safe, effective, or appropriate for any given patient. Multum Information Services, Inc. does not assume any responsibility for any aspect of healthcare administered with the aid of information Multum provides. Copyright 2000-2008 Multum Information Services, Inc. The information contained herein is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, warnings, drug interactions, allergic reactions, or adverse effects. If you have questions about the drugs you are taking, check with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.