Secura Antifungal Side Effects
Generic Name: miconazole topical
Note: This document contains side effect information about miconazole topical. Some of the dosage forms listed on this page may not apply to the brand name Secura Antifungal.
For the Consumer
Applies to miconazole topical: topical cream, topical gel/jelly, topical kit, topical lotion, topical ointment, topical powder, topical spray, topical tablet effervescent, topical tincture
Along with its needed effects, miconazole topical (the active ingredient contained in Secura Antifungal) may cause some unwanted effects. Although not all of these side effects may occur, if they do occur they may need medical attention.
Check with your doctor as soon as possible if any of the following side effects occur while taking miconazole topical:
- Blistering, burning, redness, skin rash, or other sign of skin irritation not present before use of this medicine
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to miconazole topical: compounding powder, topical cream, topical gel, topical liquid, topical lotion, topical ointment, topical powder, topical spray, topical tincture, vaginal cream, vaginal cream with applicator, vaginal kit, vaginal suppository, vaginal tampon
Local side effects have been reported frequently with topical miconazole therapy. When administered intravaginally or topically, itching, burning and rash have been reported. Contact dermatitis, confirmed by patch testing, has been reported.[Ref]
Genitourinary side effects have included cramping, pain, and bleeding with the intravaginal use of miconazole.[Ref]
1. Tanenbaum L, Anderson C, Rosenberg MJ, Akers W "1% sulconazole cream v 2% miconazole cream in the treatment of tinea versicolor. A double-blind, multicenter study." Arch Dermatol 120 (1984): 216-9
2. Raulin C, Frosch PJ "Contact allergy to imidazole antimycotics." Contact Dermatitis 18 (1988): 76-80
3. Wade TR, Jones HE, Artis WA "Irritant and allergic reactions to topically applied Micatin cream." Contact Dermatitis 5 (1979): 168-70
4. Fernandez L, Maquiera E, Rodriguez F, Picans I, Duque S "Systemic contact dermatitis from miconazole." Contact Dermatitis 34 (1996): 217
5. Perret CM, Happle R "Contact allergy to miconazole." Contact Dermatitis 19 (1988): 75
6. Baes H "Contact sensitivity to miconazole with ortho-chloro cross-sensitivity to other imidazoles." Contact Dermatitis 24 (1991): 89-93
7. "Miconazole--a new topical antifungal drug." Med Lett Drugs Ther 16 (1974): 97-8
8. "Product Information. Monistat (miconazole)." Ortho Pharmaceutical Corporation, Raritan, NJ.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
Some side effects may not be reported. You may report them to the FDA.
More about Secura Antifungal (miconazole topical)
- Secura Antifungal Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 0 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: topical antifungals