Polymyxin b Side Effects
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Feb 22, 2021.
For the Consumer
Applies to polymyxin b: injection powder for solution
Side effects requiring immediate medical attention
Along with its needed effects, polymyxin b may cause some unwanted effects. Although not all of these side effects may occur, if they do occur they may need medical attention.
Check with your doctor or nurse immediately if any of the following side effects occur while taking polymyxin b:
Incidence not known
- numbness or tingling in hands or feet
- pain in the lower back or side
- shakiness and unsteady walk
- stiff neck
- unsteadiness, trembling, or other problems with muscle control or coordination
Side effects not requiring immediate medical attention
Some side effects of polymyxin b may occur that usually do not need medical attention. These side effects may go away during treatment as your body adjusts to the medicine. Also, your health care professional may be able to tell you about ways to prevent or reduce some of these side effects.
Check with your health care professional if any of the following side effects continue or are bothersome or if you have any questions about them:
Incidence not known
- Changes in skin color, pain, tenderness, or swelling at the injection site
- face is warm or hot to touch
- hives or welts
- redness of the skin
- skin rash
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to polymyxin b: compounding powder, injectable powder for injection
Frequency not reported: Nephrotoxic reactions (including albuminuria, cylindruria, azotemia)[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Rising blood levels with no increase in dose, drug fever[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Neurotoxic reactions (including facial flushing, dizziness progressing to ataxia, drowsiness, peripheral paresthesias [circumoral, feet, hands), signs of meningeal irritation with intrathecal administration [e.g., fever, headache, stiff neck, increased cerebrospinal fluid cell count, increased cerebrospinal fluid protein])[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Apnea[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Urticarial rash[Ref]
Frequency not reported: IM injection site pain, IV injection site thrombophlebitis[Ref]
Frequently asked questions
- How long does it take for neomycin, polymyxin b and hydrocortisone ear drops to work?
- Can I use expired neomycin and polymyxin b sulfates, dexamethasone ophthalmic?
More about polymyxin b
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Pricing & Coupons
- Drug class: miscellaneous antibiotics
1. "Product Information. Polymyxin B Sulfate (polymyxin B sulfate)." AuroMedics Pharma LLC, Dayton, NJ.
Some side effects may not be reported. You may report them to the FDA.