Opium Tincture, Deodorized Side Effects
Generic name: opium
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Aug 8, 2022.
Note: This document contains side effect information about opium. Some dosage forms listed on this page may not apply to the brand name Opium Tincture, Deodorized.
Applies to opium: oral tincture.
Serious side effects
Along with its needed effects, opium (the active ingredient contained in Opium Tincture, Deodorized) may cause some unwanted effects. Although not all of these side effects may occur, if they do occur they may need medical attention.
Check with your doctor immediately if any of the following side effects occur while taking opium:
Incidence not known
- Difficulty having a bowel movement (stool)
- hives or welts
Get emergency help immediately if any of the following symptoms of overdose occur while taking opium:
Symptoms of overdose
- blurred vision
- blue lips and fingernails
- chest pain or discomfort
- cold sweats
- constricted, pinpoint, or small pupils (black part of eye)
- cool, clammy skin
- coughing that sometimes produces a pink frothy sputum
- difficult, fast, or noisy breathing, sometimes with wheezing
- difficult or troubled breathing
- difficulty sleeping
- dizziness, faintness, or lightheadedness when getting up from a lying or sitting position suddenly
- drowsiness to profound coma
- fast heartbeat
- increased hunger
- increased sweating
- irregular, fast or slow, or shallow breathing
- mood or other mental changes
- no blood pressure or pulse
- no muscle tone or movement
- not breathing
- pale or blue lips, fingernails, or skin
- shortness of breath
- slow or irregular heartbeat
- slurred speech
- stopping of heart
- swelling in legs and ankles
- unusual tiredness or weakness
Other side effects
Some side effects of opium may occur that usually do not need medical attention. These side effects may go away during treatment as your body adjusts to the medicine. Also, your health care professional may be able to tell you about ways to prevent or reduce some of these side effects.
Check with your health care professional if any of the following side effects continue or are bothersome or if you have any questions about them:
Incidence not known
- Itching skin
- redness of skin
- skin rash
More about Opium Tincture, Deodorized (opium)
Related treatment guides
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
Some side effects may not be reported. You may report them to the FDA.