Olumiant Side Effects
Generic Name: baricitinib
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Aug 5, 2019.
Note: This document contains side effect information about baricitinib. Some of the dosage forms listed on this page may not apply to the brand name Olumiant.
For the Consumer
Applies to baricitinib: oral tablets
- Serious, sometimes fatal infections including tuberculosis (pulmonary or extrapulmonary disease), bacterial and viral infections, invasive fungal infections (may be disseminated), and other opportunistic infections reported.1 (See Infectious Complications under Cautions.)
- Carefully consider risks and benefits prior to initiating baricitinib therapy in patients with chronic or recurring infections.1
- Evaluate patients for latent tuberculosis infection prior to and periodically during treatment; if indicated, initiate appropriate antimycobacterial regimen prior to initiating baricitinib therapy.1
- Closely monitor patients for infection, including active tuberculosis in those with a negative test for latent tuberculosis, during and after treatment.1 If serious infection develops, interrupt baricitinib therapy until infection is controlled.1
- Lymphoma and other malignancies reported.1 (See Malignancies and Lymphoproliferative Disorders under Cautions.)
Side effects include:
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to baricitinib: oral tablet
Common (1% to 10%): Thrombocytosis, anemia
Uncommon (0.1% to 1%): Neutropenia
Frequency not reported: Lymphocytosis (occurs at higher rates in the elderly)[Ref]
Common (1% to 10%): Blurred vision
Very common (10% or more): Hypercholesterolemia (34%)
Common (1% to 10%): Urinary tract infection, benign prostatic hyperplasia
Common (1% to 10%): ALT increased greater than or equal to 3 times the upper limit of normal (ULN)
Uncommon (0.1% to 1%): AST increased greater than or equal to 3 times the upper limit of normal (ULN), abnormal hepatic function[Ref]
Very common (10% or more): Upper respiratory tract infections (e.g., sinusitis, epiglottitis, laryngitis, nasopharyngitis, oropharyngeal pain, pharyngitis, pharyngotonsillitis, rhinitis, tonsillitis, tracheitis) (15%)
Common (1% to 10%): Bronchitis, sinusitis, rhinitis, cough
Uncommon (0.1% to 1%): Tonsillitis[Ref]
1. "Product Information. Olumiant (baricitinib)." Lilly, Eli and Company, Indianapolis, IN.
Frequently asked questions
- What are the new drugs for the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis (RA)?
- Is baricitinib (Olumiant) being used to treat COVID-19?
- What type of drug is Olumiant (baricitinib)?
More about Olumiant (baricitinib)
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- Drug class: antirheumatics
- FDA Approval History
Related treatment guides
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
Some side effects may not be reported. You may report them to the FDA.