Nystex Side Effects
Generic Name: nystatin
Note: This document contains side effect information about nystatin. Some of the dosage forms listed on this page may not apply to the brand name Nystex.
For the Consumer
Applies to nystatin: oral capsule, oral suspension, oral tablet
Along with its needed effects, nystatin (the active ingredient contained in Nystex) may cause some unwanted effects. Although not all of these side effects may occur, if they do occur they may need medical attention.
Some side effects of nystatin may occur that usually do not need medical attention. These side effects may go away during treatment as your body adjusts to the medicine. Also, your health care professional may be able to tell you about ways to prevent or reduce some of these side effects. Check with your health care professional if any of the following side effects continue or are bothersome or if you have any questions about them:
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to nystatin: compounding powder, oral capsule, oral lozenge, oral suspension, oral tablet, topical cream, topical ointment, topical powder, vaginal tablet
The most commonly reported side effects include oral irritation and sensitization.[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Diarrhea, bloody diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, gastrointestinal upset/disturbances, oral irritation and sensitization[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Delayed (type IV) hypersensitivity reactions[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Facial swelling[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Bronchospasm[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Non-specific myalgia[Ref]
1. Cerner Multum, Inc. "Australian Product Information." O 0
2. Cerner Multum, Inc. "UK Summary of Product Characteristics." O 0
3. "Product Information. Nystatin, USP from Extemporaneous Preparation of Oral Suspension (nystatin)." Paddock Laboratories Inc, Minneapolis, MN.
4. "Product Information. Mycostatin Pastilles (nystatin)." Ernest Jackson & Co., Ltd., Crediton, Devon, England, .
Some side effects may not be reported. You may report them to the FDA.
More about Nystex (nystatin)
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Drug class: mouth and throat products