Epinephrine Side Effects
For the Consumer
Applies to epinephrine: injection injectable, injection solution
Along with its needed effects, epinephrine may cause some unwanted effects. Although not all of these side effects may occur, if they do occur they may need medical attention.
Check with your doctor immediately if any of the following side effects occur while taking epinephrine:
Incidence not known
- Abnormal or decreased touch sensation
- arm, back, or jaw pain
- bleeding, blistering, burning, coldness, discoloration of the skin, feeling of pressure, hives, infection, inflammation, itching, lumps, numbness, pain, rash, redness, scarring, soreness, stinging, swelling, tenderness, tingling, ulceration, or warmth at the injection site
- blurred vision
- chest pain or discomfort
- chest tightness or heaviness
- cold, pale, or bluish color of the skin of the fingers or toes
- fast, slow, irregular, pounding, or racing heartbeat or pulse
- fear or nervousness
- numbness, tingling, or pain in the fingers
- paleness of the skin
- pounding in the ears
- shakiness in the legs, arms, hands, or feet
- trembling or shaking of the hands or feet
- troubled breathing
- unusual tiredness or weakness
Get emergency help immediately if any of the following symptoms of overdose occur while taking epinephrine:
Symptoms of overdose
- coldness of the skin
- decreased awareness or responsiveness
- decreased urine output
- loss of consciousness
- muscle twitching
- rapid weight gain
- rapid, deep breathing
- severe sleepiness
- stomach cramps
- swelling of the face, ankles, or hands
- unusual drowsiness, dullness, or feeling of sluggishness
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to epinephrine: compounding powder, inhalation aerosol, inhalation solution, injectable kit, injectable solution, intravenous solution, subcutaneous suspension
Due to the lack of randomized, controlled clinical trials for the treatment of anaphylaxis, the true incidence of adverse reactions associated with the systemic use of this drug is difficult to determine. The most commonly reported adverse reactions include anxiety, apprehensiveness, restlessness, tremor, weakness, dizziness, sweating, palpitations, pallor, nausea and vomiting, headache, and/or respiratory difficulties.[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Tachycardia, supraventricular tachycardia, ventricular arrhythmias, myocardial ischemia, myocardial infarction, limb/peripheral ischemia, palpitations, angina, arrhythmias, hypertension, vasoconstriction, ventricular ectopy, ventricular fibrillation, cold extremities, electrocardiogram changes, stress cardiomyopathy[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Headache, paresthesia, tremor, stroke, central nervous system bleeding, dizziness, cerebral hemorrhage, memory impaired, lightheadedness, psychomotor agitation, tingling, Parkinsonism aggravated, syncope, convulsions, subarachnoid hemorrhage, hemiplegia[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Nervousness, excitability, anxiety, apprehension, restlessness, disorientation, panic, hallucinations, psychosis, fear, sleeplessness/insomnia, tenseness, confusion, irritability[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Extravasation, injection site pallor, coldness at injection site, hypoesthesia at injection site, injury at injection site, local ischemic necrosis[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Renal insufficiency[Ref]
Hypersensitivity side effects have been extremely unusual. Contact dermatitis has been associated with ocularly applied epinephrine. These reactions have typically presented with lid edema and a thick yellow discharge.
Frequency not reported: Nausea, vomiting, bowel necrosis, hypersalivation[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Myonecrosis[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Chest pain, weakness, gas gangrene, asthenia[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Corneal endothelial damage[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Growth hormone secretion stimulated[Ref]
1. "Product Information. Epinephrine (EPINEPHrine)." Physicians Total Care, Tulsa, OK.
2. "Product Information. Auvi-Q (EPINEPHrine)." sanofi-aventis, Bridgewater, NJ.
3. Cerner Multum, Inc. "UK Summary of Product Characteristics." O 0
4. "Product Information. Adrenalin (EPINEPHrine)." A-S Medication Solutions, Chicago, IL.
5. "Product Information. Adrenaclick Two-Pack (EPINEPHrine)." Amedra Pharmaceuticals LLC, Middlesex, NJ.
6. "Product Information. EpiPen (EPINEPHrine)." Dey Laboratories, Napa, CA.
7. Cerner Multum, Inc. "Australian Product Information." O 0
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
Some side effects may not be reported. You may report them to the FDA.
More about epinephrine
- Epinephrine Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Compare Alternatives
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 16 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: adrenergic bronchodilators
- Epinephrine injection
- EPINEPHrine (Oral Inhalation)
- Epinephrine Auto-Injector and Prefilled Syringe
- Epinephrine Injection Solution
- Epinephrine Injection (Advanced Reading)