Cosmegen Side Effects
Generic name: dactinomycin
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on May 8, 2023.
Note: This document contains side effect information about dactinomycin. Some dosage forms listed on this page may not apply to the brand name Cosmegen.
Applies to dactinomycin: intravenous powder for solution.
Serious side effects of Cosmegen
Along with its needed effects, dactinomycin (the active ingredient contained in Cosmegen) may cause some unwanted effects. Although not all of these side effects may occur, if they do occur they may need medical attention.
Check with your doctor or nurse immediately if any of the following side effects occur while taking dactinomycin:
- Black, tarry stools
- blood in the urine or stools
- diarrhea (continuing)
- difficulty with swallowing
- lower back or side pain
- painful or difficult urination
- pinpoint red spots on the skin
- sores in the mouth and on the lips
- stomach pain (continuing)
- unusual bleeding or bruising
- unusual tiredness or weakness
Incidence not known
- Blistering, peeling, or loosening of the skin
- body aches or pain
- chapped, red, or swollen lips
- difficulty with breathing
- difficulty with moving
- difficulty with swallowing
- dryness or soreness of the throat
- flushing or redness of the skin
- irregular heartbeat
- joint pain or swelling
- muscle ache, pains, or stiffness
- muscle cramps in the hands, arms, feet, legs, or face
- numbness and tingling around the mouth, fingertips, or feet
- pain at the injection site
- runny nose
- scaling, redness, burning, pain, or other signs of inflammation of the lips
- slow growth
- stomach cramps
- swelling of the feet or lower legs
- tender, swollen glands in the neck
- unusually warm skin
- voice changes
- yellow eyes or skin
Other side effects of Cosmegen
Some side effects of dactinomycin may occur that usually do not need medical attention. These side effects may go away during treatment as your body adjusts to the medicine. Also, your health care professional may be able to tell you about ways to prevent or reduce some of these side effects.
Check with your health care professional if any of the following side effects continue or are bothersome or if you have any questions about them:
- Darkening of the skin
- general feeling of discomfort or weakness
- skin rash or acne
- unusual feeling of dullness or sluggishness
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to dactinomycin: intravenous powder for injection.
Frequency not reported: Anemia, aplastic anemia, agranulocytosis, leukopenia, neutropenia, febrile neutropenia, thrombocytopenia, pancytopenia, reticulocytopenia, disseminated intravascular coagulation[Ref]
Very rare (less than 0.01%): Contracture of the arms
Frequency not reported: Hypersensitivity[Ref]
Postmarketing reports: Thrombophlebitis, hemorrhage[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Pharyngitis, pneumonitis
Postmarketing reports: Pneumothorax[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Renal toxicity
More about Cosmegen (dactinomycin)
- Check interactions
- Compare alternatives
- Pricing & coupons
- Dosage information
- During pregnancy
- Generic availability
- Drug class: antibiotics/antineoplastics
- En español
Related treatment guides
1. Product Information. Cosmegen (dactinomycin). Merck & Co., Inc. 2001.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
Some side effects may not be reported. You may report them to the FDA.