Azo-Standard Side Effects
Generic Name: phenazopyridine
Note: This document contains side effect information about phenazopyridine. Some of the dosage forms listed on this page may not apply to the brand name Azo-Standard.
For the Consumer
Applies to phenazopyridine: oral kit, oral tablet
Along with its needed effects, phenazopyridine (the active ingredient contained in Azo-Standard) may cause some unwanted effects. Although not all of these side effects may occur, if they do occur they may need medical attention.
Check with your doctor as soon as possible if any of the following side effects occur while taking phenazopyridine:
- Blue or blue-purple color of skin
- fever and confusion
- shortness of breath, tightness in chest, wheezing, or troubled breathing
- skin rash
- sudden decrease in the amount of urine
- swelling of face, fingers, feet, and/or lower legs
- unusual tiredness or weakness
- weight gain
- yellow eyes or skin
Some side effects of phenazopyridine may occur that usually do not need medical attention. These side effects may go away during treatment as your body adjusts to the medicine. Also, your health care professional may be able to tell you about ways to prevent or reduce some of these side effects. Check with your health care professional if any of the following side effects continue or are bothersome or if you have any questions about them:
Less Common or Rare
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to phenazopyridine: compounding powder, oral tablet
Frequency not reported: Headache[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Orange to red discoloration of the urine[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Anaphylactic-like reaction[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Staining of contact lenses[Ref]
1. "Product Information. Phenazopyridine Hydrochloride (phenazopyridine)." Amneal Pharmaceuticals, Glasgow, KY.
2. "Product Information. AZO Urinary Pain Relief Max Strength (phenazopyridine)." i-Health, Inc, Cromwell, CT.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
Some side effects may not be reported. You may report them to the FDA.
More about Azo-Standard (phenazopyridine)
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- En Español
- 10 Reviews
- Drug class: miscellaneous genitourinary tract agents