Anadrol-50 Side Effects
Generic Name: oxymetholone
Note: This document contains side effect information about oxymetholone. Some of the dosage forms listed on this page may not apply to the brand name Anadrol-50.
For the Consumer
Applies to oxymetholone: oral tablet
- Liver and spleen problems have happened with drugs like this one. Sometimes, these have been very bad or deadly. Signs may not happen until these problems become very bad. Call your doctor right away if you see signs of liver or spleen problems like dark urine, feel tired, are not hungry, have an upset stomach or stomach pain, are throwing up, or have yellowing of the skin or eyes.
- Cholesterol levels may change with the use of drugs like this one. This may raise the chance of heart disease. Talk with the doctor.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Signs of electrolyte problems like mood changes, confusion, muscle pain or weakness, a heartbeat that does not feel normal, seizures, not hungry, or very bad upset stomach or throwing up.
- Pimples (acne).
- Shortness of breath, a big weight gain, or swelling in the arms or legs.
- Change in color of skin.
- Enlarged breasts.
- Hair loss.
- For males, erections (hard penis) that happen often or that last a long time.
- Change in sex interest.
- Not able to get or keep an erection.
- For females, a deep voice, facial hair, pimples, or period changes.
What are some other side effects of this drug?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Upset stomach or throwing up.
- Feeling nervous and excitable.
- Not able to sleep.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to oxymetholone: oral tablet
The more commonly reported adverse effects of androgen therapy in males is gynecomastia and excessive frequency and duration of penile erections; in women virilization including voice deepening.[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Phallic enlargement and increased frequency of erections (prepubertal); inhibition of testicular function, testicular atrophy and oligospermia, impotence, chronic priapism, epididymitis, bladder irritability and decrease in seminal volume. excessive frequency and duration of penile erections, oligospermia, increased or decreased libido (postpubertal); clitoral enlargement, menstrual irregularities (women); increased or decreased libido (both sexes)[Ref]
Rare (less than 0.1%): Peliosis hepatic, hepatic necrosis and death
Frequency not reported: Premature closure of epiphyses in children, muscle spasms[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Hepatocellular neoplasms[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Suppression of clotting factors II, V, VII, and X; bleeding (in patients on concomitant anticoagulant therapy and polycythemia), anemia, leukemia (in patients with aplastic anemia)[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Chills[Ref]
1. "Product Information. Anadrol (oxymetholone)" Unimed Pharmaceuticals, Buffalo Grove, IL.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
Some side effects may not be reported. You may report them to the FDA.