Aktipak Side Effects
Generic Name: benzoyl peroxide / erythromycin topical
Note: This document contains side effect information about benzoyl peroxide / erythromycin topical. Some of the dosage forms listed on this page may not apply to the brand name Aktipak.
For the Consumer
Applies to benzoyl peroxide/erythromycin topical: topical gel/jelly
Along with its needed effects, benzoyl peroxide/erythromycin topical may cause some unwanted effects. Although not all of these side effects may occur, if they do occur they may need medical attention.
Check with your doctor immediately if any of the following side effects occur while taking benzoyl peroxide/erythromycin topical:
Less Common or Rare
- Burning, blistering, crusting, itching, severe redness, or swelling of the skin
- dryness or peeling of the skin
- eye irritation
- feeling of warmth, mild stinging, or redness of the skin
- increased sensitivity of the skin to sunlight
- oiliness or tenderness of the skin
- painful irritation of the skin
- redness or other discoloration of the skin
- redness, swelling, or itching of the eyelid
- severe sunburn
- skin rash
- swelling of the eyes, face, and nose
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to benzoyl peroxide/erythromycin topical: topical gel
Local effects are the most commonly reported adverse effects of benzoyl peroxide-erythromycin topical. Transient drying occurs most often, followed by erythema, pruritus, burning, tenderness, and desquamation. A single case of generalized urticarial reaction to erythromycin topical has been reported.[Ref]
Allergic sensitization to benzoyl peroxide has been reported to occur in 1% to 5% of patients.[Ref]
1. "Product Information. Benzamycin Topical Gel (benzoyl peroxide-erythromycin topical)" Dermik Laboratories, Collegeville, PA.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
Some side effects may not be reported. You may report them to the FDA.