Aktipak Side Effects
Generic Name: benzoyl peroxide / erythromycin topical
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on May 19, 2020.
Note: This document contains side effect information about benzoyl peroxide / erythromycin topical. Some of the dosage forms listed on this page may not apply to the brand name Aktipak.
For the Consumer
Side effects requiring immediate medical attention
Along with its needed effects, benzoyl peroxide/erythromycin topical may cause some unwanted effects. Although not all of these side effects may occur, if they do occur they may need medical attention.
Check with your doctor immediately if any of the following side effects occur while taking benzoyl peroxide/erythromycin topical:
Less common or rare
- Burning, blistering, crusting, itching, severe redness, or swelling of the skin
- dryness or peeling of the skin
- eye irritation
- feeling of warmth, mild stinging, or redness of the skin
- increased sensitivity of the skin to sunlight
- oiliness or tenderness of the skin
- painful irritation of the skin
- redness or other discoloration of the skin
- redness, swelling, or itching of the eyelid
- severe sunburn
- skin rash
- swelling of the eyes, face, and nose
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to benzoyl peroxide / erythromycin topical: topical gel
Uncommon (0.1% to 1%): Peeling
Frequency not reported: Skin discoloration, skin oiliness, tenderness of the skin, transient drying, erythema, burning, desquamation
-Frequency not reported: Generalized urticarial reaction[Ref]
Common (1% to 10%): Application site reaction (stinging, erythema, burning)
Frequency not reported: Irritation of the skin (including peeling, itching, burning sensation, erythema, inflammation of the face/eyes/nose, irritation of the eyes)[Ref]
Benzoyl peroxide topical:
-Frequency not reported: Allergic sensitization
1. "Product Information. Aktipak (benzoyl peroxide-erythromycin topical)." Cutanea Life Sciences, Inc, Wayne, PA.
2. "Product Information. Benzamycin Topical Gel (benzoyl peroxide-erythromycin topical)" Dermik Laboratories, Collegeville, PA.
More about Aktipak (benzoyl peroxide / erythromycin topical)
Related treatment guides
Some side effects may not be reported. You may report them to the FDA.