(tole NAF tate)
Excipient information presented when available (limited, particularly for generics); consult specific product labeling. [DSC] = Discontinued product
Athletes Foot Spray: 1% (150 g) [contains sd alcohol 40]
Tinactin: 1% (150 g)
Aerosol Powder, External:
Jock Itch Spray: 1% (130 g) [contains sd alcohol 40b]
LamISIL AF Defense: 1% (133 g)
Tinactin: 1% (133 g)
Tinactin Deodorant: 1% (133 g)
Antifungal: 1% (14.18 g) [odorless]
Fungi-Guard: 1% (15 g)
Fungoid-D: 1% (113 g) [contains cetyl alcohol, methylparaben, propylene glycol, propylparaben, trolamine (triethanolamine)]
Medi-First Anti-Fungal: 1% (1 ea)
Tinactin: 1% (15 g, 30 g)
Tinactin Jock Itch: 1% (15 g)
Tolnaftate Antifungal: 1% (114 g [DSC]) [contains cetyl alcohol, methylparaben, polysorbate 80, propylene glycol, propylparaben]
Generic: 1% (15 g, 20 g, 28.3 g, 30 g)
Anti-Fungal: 1% (45 g)
LamISIL AF Defense: 1% (113 g [DSC])
Podactin: 1% (45 g)
Tinactin: 1% (108 g)
Generic: 1% (45 g)
Dr Gs Clear Nail: 1% (18 mL) [contains propylene glycol]
Mycocide Clinical NS: 1% (30 mL) [contains propylene glycol]
The Treatment Formula 3: 1% (15 mL) [contains butylparaben, methylparaben, propylparaben, sesame oil]
Tinaspore: 1% (10 mL)
Generic: 1% (10 mL)
Brand Names: U.S.
- Anti-Fungal [OTC]
- Antifungal [OTC]
- Athletes Foot Spray [OTC]
- Dr Gs Clear Nail [OTC]
- Fungi-Guard [OTC]
- Fungoid-D [OTC]
- Jock Itch Spray [OTC]
- LamISIL AF Defense [OTC]
- Medi-First Anti-Fungal [OTC]
- Mycocide Clinical NS [OTC]
- Podactin [OTC]
- The Treatment Formula 3 [OTC]
- Tinactin Deodorant [OTC]
- Tinactin Jock Itch [OTC]
- Tinactin [OTC]
- Tinaspore [OTC]
- Tolnaftate Antifungal [OTC] [DSC]
- Antifungal Agent, Topical
Distorts the hyphae and stunts mycelial growth in susceptible fungi
Onset of Action
Use: Labeled Indications
Treatment of tinea pedis, tinea cruris, tinea corporis
Hypersensitivity to tolnaftate or any component of the formulation; nail and scalp infections
Tinea infection: Topical: Wash and dry affected area; spray aerosol or apply 1-3 drops of solution or a small amount of cream, or powder and rub into the affected areas 2 times/day
Note: May use for up to 4 weeks for tinea pedis or tinea corporis, and up to 2 weeks for tinea cruris.
Refer to adult dosing.
Children ≥2 years: Refer to adult dosing.
There are no known significant interactions.
Frequency not defined.
Dermatologic: Contact dermatitis, pruritus, stinging of the skin
Concerns related to adverse effects:
• Irritation: Discontinue if sensitivity or irritation occurs.
• Pediatric: Not for self-medication (OTC use) in children <2 years of age.
• Appropriate use: For topical use only; avoid contact with eyes. Apply to clean, dry skin. When used for self-medication (OTC use), contact health care provider if condition does not improve within 4 weeks.
• Discuss specific use of drug and side effects with patient as it relates to treatment. (HCAHPS: During this hospital stay, were you given any medicine that you had not taken before? Before giving you any new medicine, how often did hospital staff tell you what the medicine was for? How often did hospital staff describe possible side effects in a way you could understand?)
• Have patient report immediately to prescriber severe skin irritation (HCAHPS).
• Educate patient about signs of a significant reaction (eg, wheezing; chest tightness; fever; itching; bad cough; blue skin color; seizures; or swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat). Note: This is not a comprehensive list of all side effects. Patient should consult prescriber for additional questions.
Intended Use and Disclaimer: Should not be printed and given to patients. This information is intended to serve as a concise initial reference for healthcare professionals to use when discussing medications with a patient. You must ultimately rely on your own discretion, experience and judgment in diagnosing, treating and advising patients.
More about tolnaftate topical
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 3 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: topical antifungals