(HYE droe kwin one)
Excipient information presented when available (limited, particularly for generics); consult specific product labeling. [DSC] = Discontinued product
Alphaquin HP: 4% (28.4 g, 56.7 g)
AMBI Fade: 2% (56 g) [contains cetyl alcohol, disodium edta, ethylparaben, methylparaben, propylparaben, sodium metabisulfite, soy protein, soya sterol]
Blanche: 4% (30 g) [contains cetearyl alcohol, disodium edta, sodium metabisulfite]
Eldopaque: 2% (28.35 g [DSC])
Eldopaque Forte: 4% (28.35 g [DSC])
Eldoquin: 2% (28.35 g [DSC])
Eldoquin Forte: 4% (28.35 g [DSC]) [contains sodium metabisulfite]
EpiQuin Micro: 4% (30 g) [contains benzyl alcohol, methylparaben, sodium metabisulfite, trolamine (triethanolamine), vitamin a, vitamin e]
Esoterica Daytime: 2% (70 g) [contains disodium edta, methylparaben, propylene glycol, propylparaben, sodium bisulfite]
Esoterica Daytime: 2% (70 g) [contains disodium edta, methylparaben, propylene glycol, propylparaben, sodium metabisulfite]
Esoterica Facial: 2% (85 g)
Esoterica Fade Nighttime: 2% (70 g) [contains disodium edta, methylparaben, propylene glycol, propylparaben, sodium metabisulfite]
Esoterica Sensitive Skin: 1.5% (85 g)
Hydroquinone Time Release: 4% (30 g) [contains benzyl alcohol, cetyl alcohol, edetate disodium, sodium metabisulfite, trolamine (triethanolamine)]
Lustra: 4% (56.8 g [DSC]) [contains sodium metabisulfite]
Lustra-AF: 4% (56.8 g [DSC]) [contains sodium metabisulfite, trolamine (triethanolamine)]
Lustra-Ultra: 4% (28.4 g [DSC], 56.8 g [DSC]) [contains methylparaben, octyl methoxycinnamate (octinoxate), propylparaben, sodium metabisulfite, vitamin a]
Melpaque HP: 4% (14.2 g, 28.35 g)
Melquin HP: 4% (28.4 g [DSC])
Nuquin HP: 4% (28.4 g [DSC], 56.7 g [DSC]) [contains propylene glycol, sodium metabisulfite]
Remergent HQ: 4% (30 mL) [contains sodium metabisulfite]
Skin Bleaching: 4% (28.35 g)
Skin Bleaching-Sunscreen: 4% (28.35 g) [contains cetostearyl alcohol, glycerin, isopropyl palmitate, propylene glycol, sodium lauryl sulfate, sodium metabisulfite, sorbic acid, water, purified]
TL Hydroquinone: 4% (30 g) [contains benzyl alcohol, cetearyl alcohol, cetyl alcohol, edetate disodium, methylparaben, sodium metabisulfite, trolamine (triethanolamine)]
Generic: 4% (28.35 g)
Aclaro: 4% (48.2 g [DSC]) [contains benzyl alcohol, sodium metabisulfite]
Aclaro PD: 4% (42.5 g [DSC])
Exuviance Lightening Complex: 2% (30 g) [contains denatured alcohol, propylene glycol, sodium bisulfite, sodium sulfite, tartrazine (fd&c yellow #5)]
NeoCeuticals Post-Acne Fade: 2% (30 g [DSC]) [contains denatured alcohol, propylene glycol, sodium bisulfite, sodium sulfite, tartrazine (fd&c yellow #5)]
NeoStrata HQ Skin Lightening: 2% (30 g) [fragrance free, oil free; contains propylene glycol, sodium bisulfite, sodium sulfite]
Nuquin HP: 4% (28.4 g [DSC])
Melquin 3: 3% (29.57 mL)
Brand Names: U.S.
- Aclaro PD [DSC]
- Aclaro [DSC]
- Alphaquin HP
- AMBI Fade [OTC]
- Eldopaque Forte [DSC]
- Eldopaque [OTC] [DSC]
- Eldoquin Forte [DSC]
- Eldoquin [OTC] [DSC]
- EpiQuin Micro
- Esoterica Daytime [OTC]
- Esoterica Facial [OTC]
- Esoterica Fade Nighttime [OTC]
- Esoterica Sensitive Skin [OTC]
- Exuviance Lightening Complex [OTC]
- Hydroquinone Time Release
- Lustra [DSC]
- Lustra-AF [DSC]
- Lustra-Ultra [DSC]
- Melpaque HP
- Melquin 3
- Melquin HP [DSC]
- NeoCeuticals Post-Acne Fade [OTC] [DSC]
- NeoStrata HQ Skin Lightening [OTC]
- Nuquin HP [DSC]
- Remergent HQ
- Skin Bleaching
- Skin Bleaching-Sunscreen
- TL Hydroquinone
- Depigmenting Agent
Produces reversible depigmentation of the skin by suppression of melanocyte metabolic processes, in particular the inhibition of the enzymatic oxidation of tyrosine to DOPA (3,4-dihydroxyphenylalanine); sun exposure reverses this effect and will cause repigmentation.
Onset of Action
Onset of depigmentation produced by hydroquinone varies among individuals
Duration of Action
Onset and duration of depigmentation produced by hydroquinone varies among individuals
Use: Labeled Indications
Gradual bleaching of hyperpigmented skin conditions
Hypersensitivity to hydroquinone or any component of the formulation; sunburn, depilatory usage
Bleaching: Topical: Apply a thin layer and rub in twice daily.
Refer to adult dosing.
Refer to adult dosing.
For external use only; avoid contact with eyes
There are no known significant interactions.
Frequency not defined.
Dermatologic: Allergic skin reaction, dermatitis, erythema, inflammation, stinging of the skin, xeroderma
Local: Local irritation
• Appropriate use: Limit application to area no larger than face and neck or hands and arms.
Pregnancy Risk Factor
Animal reproduction studies have not been conducted with topical administration; the amount of systemic absorption is unknown.
• Discuss specific use of drug and side effects with patient as it relates to treatment. (HCAHPS: During this hospital stay, were you given any medicine that you had not taken before? Before giving you any new medicine, how often did hospital staff tell you what the medicine was for? How often did hospital staff describe possible side effects in a way you could understand?)
• Patient may experience redness or dry skin. Have patient report immediately to prescriber severe skin irritation, skin discoloration, itching, or skin sores (HCAHPS).
• Educate patient about signs of a significant reaction (eg, wheezing; chest tightness; fever; itching; bad cough; blue skin color; seizures; or swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat). Note: This is not a comprehensive list of all side effects. Patient should consult prescriber for additional questions.
Intended Use and Disclaimer: Should not be printed and given to patients. This information is intended to serve as a concise initial reference for healthcare professionals to use when discussing medications with a patient. You must ultimately rely on your own discretion, experience and judgment in diagnosing, treating and advising patients.
More about hydroquinone topical
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- 5 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: topical depigmenting agents
- Hydroquinone (AHFS Monograph)
- Hydroquinone Cream (FDA)
- Hydroquinone Cream with Sunscreens (FDA)
- Hydroquinone Time Release Cream (FDA)