Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Jul 12, 2019.
(byoo TEN a feen)
- Butenafine Hydrochloride
Excipient information presented when available (limited, particularly for generics); consult specific product labeling. [DSC] = Discontinued product
Cream, External, as hydrochloride:
Lotrimin Ultra: 1% (30 g [DSC]) [contains benzyl alcohol, cetyl alcohol, propylene glycol, sodium benzoate]
Lotrimin Ultra: 1% (12 g, 30 g) [contains benzyl alcohol, cetyl alcohol, propylene glycol, sodium benzoate, trolamine (triethanolamine)]
Mentax: 1% (15 g, 30 g) [contains benzyl alcohol, sodium benzoate]
Generic: 1% (12 g, 30 g)
Brand Names: U.S.
- Lotrimin Ultra [OTC]
- Antifungal Agent, Topical
Butenafine exerts fungicidal activity against dermatophytes (eg trichophyton, epidermophyton) by blocking squalene epoxidation, resulting in inhibition of ergosterol synthesis and subsequent weakening of fungal cell membranes.
Hepatic via hydroxylation
Time to Peak
Serum: 6 to 15 hours
Biphasic: Alpha: 35 hours; Beta: >150 hours
Use: Labeled Indications
Topical infections: Topical treatment of tinea (pityriasis) versicolor due to Malassezia furfur
OTC labeling: Topical treatment of tinea pedis (athlete's foot), tinea cruris (jock itch), and tinea corporis (ringworm)
Hypersensitivity to butenafine or any component of the formulation
OTC labeling: When used for self-medication, do not use on nails or scalp, in or near the mouth or eyes, or for vaginal yeast infections
Tinea corporis, tinea cruris: Topical: Apply once daily for 2 weeks to affected area
Tinea versicolor: Topical: Apply once daily for 2 weeks to affected area and surrounding skin
Tinea pedis: Topical: Apply twice daily for 1 week or once daily for 4 weeks to affected skin between and around the toes
Refer to adult dosing.
Children ≥12 years and Adolescents: Refer to adult dosing.
Topical: For external use only; avoid contact with eyes, mouth, nose, or other mucous membranes. Apply to clean, dry skin. Avoid occlusive dressings.
Lotrimin Ultra: Store at 20° to 25°C (68° to 77°F).
Mentax: Store at 5°C to 30°C (41°F to 86°F).
There are no known significant interactions.
≥1%: Dermatologic: Burning sensation of skin, contact dermatitis, erythema, pruritus, skin irritation, stinging of the skin
Concerns related to adverse effects:
• Allylamine antifungal hypersensitivity: Use caution in patients sensitive to allylamine antifungals (eg naftifine, terbinafine); cross sensitivity to butenafine may exist.
• Irritation: Discontinue if sensitivity or irritation occurs.
• Immunocompromised patients: Has not been studied in immunocompromised patients.
• Appropriate use: For external use only; avoid contact with eyes, mouth, nose, or other mucous membranes.
Culture and KOH exam, clinical signs of tinea pedis
Pregnancy Risk Factor
Adverse effects were not observed in animal reproduction studies.
• Discuss specific use of drug and side effects with patient as it relates to treatment. (HCAHPS: During this hospital stay, were you given any medicine that you had not taken before? Before giving you any new medicine, how often did hospital staff tell you what the medicine was for? How often did hospital staff describe possible side effects in a way you could understand?)
• Have patient report immediately to prescriber skin irritation, burning, redness, edema, skin sores, blisters, oozing, or bleeding (HCAHPS).
• Educate patient about signs of a significant reaction (eg, wheezing; chest tightness; fever; itching; bad cough; blue skin color; seizures; or swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat). Note: This is not a comprehensive list of all side effects. Patient should consult prescriber for additional questions.
Intended Use and Disclaimer: Should not be printed and given to patients. This information is intended to serve as a concise initial reference for health care professionals to use when discussing medications with a patient. You must ultimately rely on your own discretion, experience, and judgment in diagnosing, treating, and advising patients.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
More about butenafine topical
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- Drug class: topical antifungals
Other brands: Mentax