What is Florastor Kids?
Florastor Kids is a specific form of yeast also known as Brewer's Yeast, Hansen CBS 5926, Levure de Boulangerie, and Probiotic.
Florastor Kids has been used as a probiotic, or "friendly bacteria," to prevent the growth of harmful bacteria in the stomach and intestines.
Florastor Kids is likely effective in alternative medicine as an aid in preventing diarrhea caused by taking antibiotics, or by using a feeding tube. This medicine is also likely effective in treating diarrhea in babies and children.
Florastor Kids has been used as a possibly effective aid in preventing the recurrence of diarrhea caused by Clostridium difficile (C. difficile). However, this product may not be effective in treating the first episodes of this type of diarrhea. This medicine is also possibly effective in treating "traveler's diarrhea," diarrhea in people with HIV, and stomach ulcers caused by Helicobacter pylori.
Other uses not proven with research have included irritable bowel disease, Crohn's disease, ulcerative colitis, cystic fibrosis, urinary tract infections, yeast infections, lactose intolerance, and other conditions.
It is not certain whether Florastor Kids is effective in treating any medical condition. Medicinal use of this product has not been approved by the FDA. This medicine should not be used in place of medication prescribed for you by your doctor.
Florastor Kids is often sold as an herbal supplement. There are no regulated manufacturing standards in place for many herbal compounds and some marketed supplements have been found to be contaminated with toxic metals or other drugs. Herbal/health supplements should be purchased from a reliable source to minimize the risk of contamination.
Florastor Kids may also be used for purposes not listed in this product guide.
Follow all directions on the product label and package. Tell each of your healthcare providers about all your medical conditions, allergies, and all medicines you use.
Before taking this medicine
You should not use Florastor Kids if you are allergic to yeast, or if you are taking an antifungal medication such as:
Ask a doctor, pharmacist, or other healthcare provider if it is safe for you to use this product if you have:
weak immune system (caused by disease or by using certain medicine);
if you are dehydrated; or
if you have a central IV line (venous catheter).
It is not known whether Florastor Kids will harm an unborn baby. Do not use this product without medical advice if you are pregnant.
It is not known whether Florastor Kids passes into breast milk or if it could harm a nursing baby. Do not use this product without medical advice if you are breast-feeding a baby.
Do not give any herbal/health supplement to a child without medical advice. A child with diarrhea should be checked by a doctor.
How should I take Florastor Kids?
When considering the use of herbal supplements, seek the advice of your healthcare provider. You may also consider consulting a practitioner who is trained in the use of herbal/health supplements.
If you choose to take Florastor Kids, use it as directed on the package or as directed by your healthcare provider, pharmacist, or other healthcare provider.
Do not use more of this product than is recommended on the label.
You may take Florastor Kids with or without food.
Florastor Kids is available in capsule and powder form.
Do not use different formulations (such as capsules together with powder) at the same time without medical advice. You may get too much of this product.
You may swallow the capsule whole, or open it and sprinkle the contents directly onto your tongue. Drink at least 4 ounces of water or juice when swallowing the medicine.
To use the oral powder, tear open the packet and empty the entire contents into at least 4 ounces of water, juice, or milk. Stir this mixture and drink all of it right away. To make sure you get the entire dose, add a little more water to the same glass, swirl gently and drink right away.
To make swallowing easier, you may also sprinkle the medicine from a capsule or from the powder packet into a spoonful of yogurt or applesauce. Swallow right away without chewing. Do not save the mixture for later use. Discard the empty capsule.
Call your doctor if the condition you are treating with Florastor Kids does not improve, or if it gets worse while using this product.
Store this product at room temperature away from moisture and heat. Do not refrigerate.
What happens if I miss a dose?
Skip the missed dose if it is almost time for your next scheduled dose. Do not use extra Florastor Kids to make up the missed dose.
What happens if I overdose?
Seek emergency medical attention or call the Poison Help line at 1-800-222-1222.
What should I avoid while taking Florastor Kids?
Follow your healthcare provider's instructions about any restrictions on food, beverages, or activity.
Florastor Kids side effects
Get emergency medical help if you have signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficult breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Although not all side effects are known, Florastor Kids is thought to be likely safe for most people when used as directed for up to 15 months.
Common side effects may include:
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your healthcare provider for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
See also: Side effects (in more detail)
What other drugs will affect Florastor Kids?
Other drugs may interact with saccharomyces boulardii lyo, including prescription and over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products. Tell each of your health care providers about all medicines you use now and any medicine you start or stop using.
More about Florastor Kids (saccharomyces boulardii lyo)
- Side Effects
- Dosage Information
- Support Group
- En Español
- 0 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: antidiarrheals
Other brands: Saccharomyces Boulardii+MOS
Related treatment guides
Where can I get more information?
- Consult with a licensed healthcare professional before using any herbal/health supplement. Whether you are treated by a medical doctor or a practitioner trained in the use of natural medicines/supplements, make sure all your healthcare providers know about all of your medical conditions and treatments.
- Remember, keep this and all other medicines out of the reach of children, never share your medicines with others, and use this medication only for the indication prescribed.
- Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure that the information provided by Cerner Multum, Inc. ('Multum') is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. Drug information contained herein may be time sensitive. Multum information has been compiled for use by healthcare practitioners and consumers in the United States and therefore Multum does not warrant that uses outside of the United States are appropriate, unless specifically indicated otherwise. Multum's drug information does not endorse drugs, diagnose patients or recommend therapy. Multum's drug information is an informational resource designed to assist licensed healthcare practitioners in caring for their patients and/or to serve consumers viewing this service as a supplement to, and not a substitute for, the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgment of healthcare practitioners. The absence of a warning for a given drug or drug combination in no way should be construed to indicate that the drug or drug combination is safe, effective or appropriate for any given patient. Multum does not assume any responsibility for any aspect of healthcare administered with the aid of information Multum provides. The information contained herein is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, warnings, drug interactions, allergic reactions, or adverse effects. If you have questions about the drugs you are taking, check with your doctor, nurse or pharmacist.
Copyright 1996-2012 Cerner Multum, Inc. Version: 2.03.
Date modified: March 06, 2018
Last reviewed: December 04, 2015