How do you use Yupelri inhalation solution?
I have been prescribed Yupelri to use in a nebulizer for the treatment of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). How is it used?
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com Last updated on Dec 11, 2018.
Official Answerby Drugs.com
Yupelri (revefenacin) inhalation solution is orally inhaled using a standard jet nebulizer with a mouthpiece connected to an air compressor.
Yupelri (revefenacin) is the first once-daily, nebulized bronchodilator approved in the U.S. for the maintenance treatment of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD).
COPD is long-term lung disease that includes emphysema, bronchitis, or both. COPD, often caused by smoking, is the third leading cause of death in the U.S. and affects roughly 16 million Americans at a cost of over $50 billion.
Yupelri, classified as a long-acting muscarinic antagonist (LAMA), is a first-line agent for COPD.
- Yupelri was developed for patients who may prefer a nebulized solution over a standard inhaler due to greater ease of use and easier inhalation of the medicine.
- It is for use with a standard jet nebulizer with a mouthpiece connected to an air compressor.
- Yupelri is for for oral inhalation use only and should not be swallowed.
Do not use Yupelri unless your health care provider has taught you how to use it with your nebulizer and you understand the directions. Read the step-by-step instructions for using Yupelri in the Medication Guide that accompanies your medicine. Yupelri is not used to relieve sudden breathing problems and will not replace an inhaled rescue medicine.
1. Do not mix Yupelri with other medicines in your nebulizer.
2. Open the pouch: When ready to use, remove the vial of Yupelri from the foil pouch. Yupelri comes as one 175 mcg vial (in 3 mL) and is used once daily.
3. Open the vial: Carefully twist open the top of the vial and use the medicine right away. Squeeze all of the medicine from the vial into the nebulizer cup.
4. Attach mouthpiece: Connect the mouthpiece to the nebulizer cup with the expiratory valve facing up.
5. Connect nebulizer to the compressor: Firmly insert one end of the tubing to the compressor. Insert the other end of the tubing to the bottom of the nebulizer cup (reservoir).
6. Prepare for treatment: Sit in a comfortable, upright position and close your lips around the mouthpiece.
7. Begin treatment: Turn on the compressor.
8. Breathe in medicine: Breathe in as calmly, deeply, and evenly as possible until you can no longer see the mist in the nebulizer reservoir. The full treatment will take about 8 minutes. When you do not see any mist in the nebulizer, your treatment is finished. Turn the compressor off.
9. Clean nebulizer: Clean and store your nebulizer. See the manufacturer’s instructions that come with your nebulizer for how to clean and store your nebulizer.
Related Medical Questions
- How do you use a Utibron Neohaler?
- How do you use Seebri Neohaler?
- How do you use Bevespi Aerosphere?
- What drugs are contained in Trelegy Ellipta?
- What is the difference between Lonhala Magnair and Seebri Neohaler?
- What is the difference between emphysema and COPD?
- Is Wixela Inhub the same as Advair Diskus?