What type of drug is Nuzyra (omadacycline)?
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Oct 28, 2020.
Nuzyra (omadacycline) is an antibacterial tetracycline antibiotic.
Nuzyra is given either as an intravenous (IV) infusion or as a once-daily tablet taken by mouth.
- Nuzyra is used to treat adult patients with community-acquired bacterial pneumonia (CABP) caused by susceptible microorganisms such as Streptococcus pneumoniae, Staphylococcus aureus, or Haemophilus influenzae.
- It is also approved for treatment of acute bacterial skin and skin structure infections (ABSSSI).
How do Nuzyra side effects differ from other tetracyclines?
Nuzyra has similar warnings to other tetracycline-class antibacterial drugs such as:
- permanent tooth discoloration (yellow-gray-brown) if used in the last half of pregnancy, infancy, and childhood up to the age of 8 years.
- reversible inhibition of bone growth if used in the last half of pregnancy, infancy, and childhood up to the age of 8 years.
- serious allergic reactions
- development of C. difficile diarrhea
- photosensitivity (sun allergy)
- pseudotumor cerebri (pressure inside the skull increases)
- anti-anabolic action (inhibits cell division and new tissue growth) which has led to increased blood urea nitrogen (BUN), azotemia, acidosis, hyperphosphatemia, pancreatitis, and abnormal liver function tests
- discontinue Nuzyra and call your doctor if any of these side effects are suspected.
Related Medical Questions
- Can you take Ibuprofen if you have COVID-19 (coronavirus)?
- What antibiotics kill Covid-19 (coronavirus)?
- Where can I buy an at-home test kit for COVID-19 (coronavirus)?
- How do COVID-19 symptoms progress and what causes death?
- Can vitamin C prevent or treat COVID-19 (coronavirus)?
- Which breathing techniques help with COVID-19?
- Does the BCG vaccine for TB help with COVID-19 (coronavirus)?
- What's the difference between amoxicillin and penicillin?
- What are the best antibiotics for pneumonia?
- How long can the Coronavirus survive on surfaces?
- Is loss of sense of smell a symptom of COVID-19?
- Can my cat, dog or pet give me COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)?
- COVID-19 vaccines and variants: What you should know
- Bronchitis vs Pneumonia - What's the difference between them?
- Is walking pneumonia contagious?