How much sodium is in Xyrem?
Medically reviewed by Carmen Fookes, BPharm. Last updated on April 14, 2020.
- 4.5g of Xyrem contains 820mg of sodium.
- 9g of Xyrem contains 1640mg of sodium.
- Sodium is another name for salt.
- People on a low-salt diet, with high blood pressure, heart failure, or kidney disease taking Xyrem should take into account how much sodium Xyrem contains when calculating their daily salt intake.
Xyrem (sodium oxybate) may be used to treat cataplexy or excessive daytime sleepiness in adults and children aged 7 years of age and older with narcolepsy. Cataplexy is a symptom of narcolepsy that involves sudden muscle weakness in response to a strong emotional reaction, such as surprise, laughter, anger or fear, which may cause a person to collapse.
Xyrem has a high salt content (salt is also known as sodium). People with heart failure, high blood pressure, kidney disease, or a low salt diet should consider how much salt (sodium) is in each dose of Xyrem.
The usual starting dose of Xyrem in adults is 4.5 grams (g) per night increasing to a usual maintenance dose of 6g to 9g at night. Recommended dosages in children depend on their weight and your doctor will advise you on the initial dose for your child.
Sodium content per grams of Xyrem is as follows:
- Xyrem dose: 1g contains 183mg of sodium
- Xyrem dose: 2g contains 367mg of sodium
- Xyrem dose: 3g contains 550mg (milligrams) of sodium
- Xyrem dose: 4.5g contains 820mg of sodium
- Xyrem dose: 6g contains 1100mg of sodium
- Xyrem dose: 7.5g contains 1400mg of sodium
- Xyrem dose: 9g contains 1640mg of sodium.
To put the sodium content of Xyrem into context, a teaspoon of table salt contains about 2300 mg sodium.
The American Heart Association recommends no more than 2,300 mg of sodium a day although it recommends people strive towards an ideal limit of no more than 1,500 mg per day.
Cutting back on sodium can significantly improve blood pressure and heart health. Unfortunately most Americans eat more than 3,400mg of sodium per day, with most of this coming from packaged, prepared and restaurant foods.
- Sodium: How to tame your salt habit. Mayo Clinic https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/sodium/art-20045479
- How much sodium should I eat per day? America Heart Association. https://www.heart.org/en/healthy-living/healthy-eating/eat-smart/sodium/how-much-sodium-should-i-eat-per-day
- Xyrem (sodium oxybate) [Package Insert] 10/2018 Drugs.com https://www.drugs.com/pro/xyrem.html
Related Medical Questions
- How does Xyrem work for narcolepsy?
- Can any doctor prescribe Xyrem?
- Is Xyrem a controlled substance / narcotic drug of abuse?
- Can you take Xyrem while pregnant?