Does Paragard cause weight gain?
No, Paragard does not cause weight gain. Weight gain has not been reported as a side effect of Paragard, nor is there any evidence that Paragard increases weight.
Because Paragard contains copper, instead of hormones, it does not have many side effects at all. The most common side effects reported are bleeding changes (such as heavier or longer periods), pain, or cramps; but these tend to resolve within a few months. Expulsion (falling out) of the device is also more likely to occur within a few months of the insertion of Paragard; however, this has only been reported in less than 1% of women.
Paragard is a small T-shaped intrauterine non-hormonal contraceptive device that works by continuously releasing a small number of copper ions into the uterine cavity which prevents pregnancy. These copper ions change the fluid within the fallopian tube and the uterus, disrupting the motility of sperm and making them unable to fertilize an egg. Paragard may also prevent the implantation of a fertilized egg.
Paragard belongs to the class of devices called intrauterine copper contraceptives.
What are the disadvantages of IUDs? Planned Parenthood https://www.plannedparenthood.org/learn/birth-control/iud/what-are-the-disadvantages-of-iuds#:~:text=The%20copper%20IUD%20(Paragard)%20doesn,for%20the%20first%20few%20months
Paragard Paragard.com https://www.paragard.com/
Copper IUD (ParaGard) Mayo Clinic https://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-procedures/paragard/about/pac-20391270#:~:text=The%20copper%20IUD%20(ParaGard)%20contains,term%20birth%20control%20(contraception)
Paragard. 09/2019 CooperSurgical, Inc. https://www.drugs.com/pro/paragard.html
Related medical questions
- Is obesity a major risk factor for Covid-19?
- How do Mounjaro, Wegovy & Ozempic compare for weight loss?
- Does Wellbutrin XL/SR cause weight gain or loss?
- Does Zoloft (sertraline) cause weight gain?
- Does Ozempic help with weight loss?
- How long does it take to lose weight on Wegovy?
- Why am I not losing weight on Saxenda?
- Does Cymbalta cause weight gain?
- Does Jardiance cause weight loss?
- Does naltrexone cause weight gain?
- What foods should I avoid while taking Contrave?