How long does it take for Ongentys to work?
- Ongentys starts working within one week of starting treatment
- The full effects of Ongentys are seen within two to three weeks of starting treatment
Ongentys (opicapone) starts working quickly. Results from two large phase III trials showed that within one week of starting treatment with Ongentys it started working and significantly decreased mean off-time by 61 min for those receiving Ongentys 25 mg daily and 75 min for those receiving Ongentys 50 mg daily, compared with 23 min for those receiving placebo (p=0.0013, P<0.0001, respectively).
Further improvements were observed during the second and third week of treatment, after which the treatment effect stabilized. At the end of the 14-15 week study, a significant decrease in off-time of 93 min for Ongentys 25 mg recipients and 120 min of Ongentys 50 mg recipients was observed, compared with a 55 min decrease for placebo recipients (p=0.0091, p<0.001, respectively).
Ongentys is taken once daily at bedtime and is used to help people with Parkinson’s disease who are experiencing ‘off’ episodes (periods of time when their symptoms recur) while being treated with levodopa/carbidopa. It’s a COMT (catechol-O-methyltransferase) inhibitor, which helps to prevent off episodes by increasing the amount of levodopa that reaches the brain by blocking the COMT enzyme, which breaks down levodopa in the blood.
- A. Lees, J. Ferreira, H. Reichmann, E. Tolosa, A. Santos, C. Oliveira, I. Oliveira, N. Lopes, J.F. Rocha, P. Soares-da-Silva. Onset and stabilization of opicapone treatment effects in fluctuating Parkinson’s disease patients: Exploratory by-week efficacy analysis of pooled phase III studies [abstract]. Mov Disord. 2016; 31 (suppl 2).
- Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Ongentys. April 2020. Available from: https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2020/212489s000lbl.pdf.
Related medical questions
- When is the best time to take Ongentys?
- Is Ongentys better than Comtan?
- What is Gocovri used to treat?
- Does Nuplazid treat Parkinson's disease?
- What foods should be avoided when taking levodopa?
- Is Rytary better than Sinemet?
- How long does it take for amantadine to start working?
- Why should you not discontinue amantadine?
- What is the difference between carbidopa, levodopa, and Rytary?
- How does levodopa help Parkinson's disease?
- How long does it take for Rytary to start working?
- Ongentys Information for Consumers
- Ongentys Information for Healthcare Professionals (includes dosage details)
- Side Effects of Ongentys (detailed)