How much does Inbrija cost?
Medically reviewed by Leigh Ann Anderson, PharmD. Last updated on April 29, 2020.
- The out-of-pocket cash price for Inbrija (levodopa inhalation) 42 mg inhalation capsules is about $1,000 for a supply of 60 capsules. However, most people do not pay this price.
- Once prescribed, you will most likely receive this medication in the mail from a Specialty Pharmacy.
- Private or government insurance, online discount coupons, manufacturer copay assistance, and patient assistance programs can all lower the price of Inbrija. Prices can also vary depending on which pharmacy you visit and your location.
- Inbrija is currently available as a brand name drug only. A generic version is not yet available.
How can I save money on Inbrija?
Although it is an expensive medication, there are many ways to lower your costs of Inbrija.
- If you have private insurance
- If you have private insurance (individual or through your employer), a portion of the costs of Inbrija may be covered.
- However, you may have to pay some out-of-pocket fees based on your insurance type and tier level, formulary coverage, copay or coinsurance. Acorda Therapeutics, the manufacturer of Inbrija, may be able to help you with your copay or other costs.
- Call your insurance provider to understand your specific situation.
- If you have government insurance (Medicare, Medicaid)
- Patients who participate in Medicaid, Medicare, or any other federal health care program are not eligible to receive private insurance co‑pay assistance.
- Medicare is a US federal health insurance program for people 65 and older and those with certain disabilities. If you are enrolled in Medicare and have limited financial resources, you may qualify for the Medicare Extra Help program to help support some health care and prescription drug costs. The Medicare Extra Help program is a federal program, and is not managed by Acorda, but the company can provide details.
- Medicaid is a US government-run health insurance program that provides medical assistance for low-income people. It is jointly run by the federal government and individual US states. State Medicaid programs may provide coverage for Inbrija but it can vary based on your state.
Who can I call about getting Inbrija?
Call Acorda’s Prescription Support Services at 1-888-887-3447, 8AM to 8APM Eastern time, Monday through Friday to have your questions answered.
Acorda provides specialists to help guide you through coverage and access if you are prescribed Inbrija.
How do I get Inbrija?
Because Inbrija is expensive and may need special handling, shipping or monitoring, a specialty pharmacy will help to coordinate these services. The manufacturer of Inbrija, Acorda Therapeutics, offers Prescription Supports Services that may be helpful for you. A specialist from Acorda’s Prescription Support Services will contact you after your doctor prescribes Inbrija.
Your specialist will:
- Determine your coverage for Inbrija
- Review coverage and financial assistance options (if eligible)
- Ensure you know how to use Inbrija
- Tell you which specialty pharmacy will handle your prescription
Before you receive your medication, a specialty pharmacy representative will call you to arrange payment details and delivery of Inbrija. The specialty pharmacy will follow up with refills as prescribed. If you have questions, you can call 1-888-887-3447 8AM to 8APM Eastern time, Monday through Friday.
Online coupons for Inbrija
Many online services offer copay coupons that can help to reduce your costs, although the affordability of your medication may still be out-of-reach. Keep in mind these prices are always subject to change. A generic for Inbrija is not yet commercially available in the US.
Can I get Inbrija if I don’t have insurance?
If you do not have insurance and cannot afford Inbrija, Acorda’s Prescription Support Services may be able to help you. The Inbrija Patient Assistance Program is designed to help you get Inbrija at no cost if you are eligible. You will have to fill out an application.
If you cannot afford your medication and are not eligible for other support, check with your doctor or pharmacist about local nonprofit services in your community that may be able to offer financial assistance for Inbrija.
Can I get Inbrija for free?
The Inbrija Free trial program from Acorda Therapeutics offers eligible patients with commercial insurance or those who are paying cash access to 1 carton (30 doses) of Inbrija at no cost.
You can speak to a representative at Acorda Therapeutics who may be able to assist you.
What is the dose of Inbrija?
Inbrija is a medication used in Parkinson’s disease when symptoms of an OFF period start to return. It is used in addition to your normal carbidopa/levodopa medication (common brand: Sinemet).
An OFF period in Parkinson’s is associated with the return of symptoms between your regular dose of levodopa/carbidopa. Your symptoms, such as tremor, slowed movement and difficulty walking may start to return before it’s time for you to take your next dose of medication. Inbrija is taken when symptoms of an OFF period start to return.
- DO NOT swallow Inbrija capsules. Only use Inbrija capsules with the Inbrija inhaler. Do not open the capsules.
- The recommended dose of Inbrija is oral inhalation of the contents of two 42 mg capsules (84 mg) as needed, up to 5 times a day.
- The maximum dose per OFF period is 84 mg (2 capsules). The total maximum daily dosage is 420 mg.
- In studies, Inbrija has been shown to be effective only when used with carbidopa/levodopa.
The most common side effects (occuring in greater than 5% of patients and higher than an inactive placebo) were cough, nausea, upper respiratory tract infection, and discolored sputum.
- Inbrija from Acorda Therapeutics is an expensive medication used to treat OFF episodes in Parkinson’s disease. However, there are many ways to lower your costs for this treatment.
- Call the manufacturer at 1-888-887-3447 8AM to 8APM Eastern time, Monday through Friday to explore their savings programs for Inbrija.
- Also speak with your doctor and pharmacist about prescription savings. Online prescription coupons and local community financial assistance programs through nonprofits may be other ways you can afford Inbrija.
- Inbrija.com. Prescription Support Services. Acorda Therapeutics 2020. https://www.inbrija.com/prescription-support-services
- Inbrija [package insert]. Ardsley, NY. Acorda Therapeutics. Sept. 2019. https://www.inbrija.com/prescribing-information.pdf
Related Medical Questions
- What is the difference between carbidopa, levodopa, and Rytary?
- How does levodopa help Parkinson's disease?
- How long does it take for Inbrija to work?
- How do you use an Inbrija inhaler?