How do you use an Inbrija inhaler?
Medically reviewed by Leigh Ann Anderson, PharmD. Last updated on April 30, 2020.
A dose of Inbrija (levodopa inhalation) is used when your Parkinson symptoms start to return (the OFF period) before your next regular dose of levodopa/carbidopa (common brand: Sinemet). Inbrija is for oral inhalation use only.
Before you start
- Be sure your doctor, pharmacist or nurse shows you how to use the Inbrija inhaler. This medicine will come with a patient information leaflet and patient instructions. Read and follow these instructions carefully.
- Only use Inbrija capsules with the supplied Inbrija inhaler. You will get a new inhaler to use each time you refill your prescription.
- DO NOT swallow or open the Inbrija capsules. The contents of the capsule will be breathed into the lungs.
- Keep the Inbrija capsules in their sealed blister package and remove each Inbrija capsule right before you use it. Do not use any capsule that looks crushed, damaged, or wet.
- Do not use the Inbrija inhaler with other medications.
Tips for using your Inbrija Inhaler
- Be sure your hands are clean and dry when using the inhaler and capsules.
- Remove the blue cap from the inhaler. Twist off the white mouthpiece.
- Load 1 capsule into the capsule chamber of the inhaler. Do not load 2 capsules at the same time. You will do 2 separate inhalations (with one capsule per inhalation) to get your full dose.
- Attach the mouthpiece until you hear a click. The inhaler is breath-actuated so it does not need to be pressed to active the inhalation.
- Breathe out fully to get as much air out of your lungs as possible. Put the mouthpiece just in front of your mouth and breathe in (inhale) deeply. If you did not hear or feel the capsule “whirl” (spin) while inhaling, you may need to take a deeper, longer breath. If you cough or stop your dose, repeat this step using the same capsule.
- Hold your breath for about 5 to 10 seconds, then slowly breathe out.
- Twist and pull off the mouthpiece. Remove the used capsule, then load a second capsule into the inhaler. Repeat the same steps.
- Remove the used capsule, then load a second capsule into the inhaler and breathe in. Do not load 2 capsules at the same time.
- You may use a dry cotton swab or tissue to clean the mouthpiece. Put the cap back on after you are done with your dose.
How do I store Inbrija?
- Store the inhaler and capsules in a dry place at room temperature (68°F to 77°F [20°C to 25°C]). Do not freeze or refrigerate Inbrija.
- Keep capsules inside their foil (blister) packages until just before you are ready to use them. Do not store capsules in the inhaler for a future dose.
- Throw out the inhaler after all capsules in the carton have been used. Use the new inhaler that comes with your prescription refill.
- Keep the inhaler and capsules out of reach of children.
What is the dose for the Inbrija inhaler?
The recommended dose of Inbrija is two 42 mg capsules (84 mg) inhaled by mouth (orally) as needed, up to 5 times a day. You need to inhale 2 capsules (one capsule per inhalation, done twice - see instructions) to receive a full dose.
What is the maximum dose of Inbrija?
The maximum dose per OFF period is 84 mg (2 capsules). The total maximum daily dosage is 420 mg (5 doses). Do not take more than 5 doses (10 capsules) of Inbrija in one day.
- If you have taken a nonselective monoamine oxidase inhibitor such as phenelzine or tranylcypromine in the last 2 weeks, do not use Inbrija. Your blood pressure may increase. Ask your doctor or pharmacist if you are not sure if you have taken one of these drugs.
- If you are taking multivitamin tablets or plan to start taking them, discuss this first with your doctor. Iron salts (in vitamins) may keep this medicine from working properly.
- Inbrija is not recommended in patients with asthma, COPD, or other chronic underlying lung disease because of the risk of bronchospasm.
- You could fall asleep warning while using Inbrija. If you become drowsy while using Inbrija, you should not drive or do activities where you need to be alert for your safety or the safety of others. Other medications that cause drowsiness (for example, sleep medicines, antidepressants, or antipsychotics) may worsen this effect.
- This is not all the information you need for safe and effective use of Inbrija. Always follow your doctor's directions.
- Inbrija [package insert]. Ardsley, NY. Acorda Therapeutics. Sept. 2019. https://www.inbrija.com/prescribing-information.pdf
- Inbrija (Inhalation). Drugs.com. April 30, 2020. https://www.drugs.com/cons/inbrija.html
Related Medical Questions
- How long does it take for Inbrija to work?
- What is the difference between carbidopa, levodopa, and Rytary?
- How does levodopa help Parkinson's disease?
- How much does Inbrija cost?
- Inbrija Information for Consumers
- Inbrija Information for Healthcare Professionals (includes dosage details)
- Side Effects of Inbrija (detailed)
Related Support Groups
- Inbrija (3 questions, 3 members)