How long does Epclusa stay in your system?
Epclusa stays in your system approximately 3 days after the last dose. This is calculated by looking at the half-life of velpatasvir which is 15 hours and that of sofosbuvir, which is 0.5 hours. The half-life is the time it takes for 50% of a medicine to be eliminated from the body. Research has shown that it takes 4 to 5 half-lives for a medicine to be fully cleared from the body which calculates out to 60 to 75 hours or 2.5 to 3.1 days for Epclusa. There are no active metabolites of velpatasvir or sofosbuvir that may prolong this half-life, and its clearance is not significantly affected by liver disease or mild-to-moderate kidney impairment.
If you are still experiencing side effects from Epclusa more than 5 days after you have stopped taking it, talk with your doctor. It can take a while for your body to recover from hepatitis C once you have finished a course of Epclusa. Talk to your doctor if you have any concerns.
- Epclusa (velpatasvir and sofosbuvir) Updated 05/2022 Gilead Sciences, Inc. https://www.drugs.com/pro/epclusa.html
- Epclusa FAQs. Epclusa.com. https://www.epclusa.com/faq#what-if-i-miss-a-dose-of-epclusa
- Kirby BJ, Symonds WT, Kearney BP, Mathias AA. Pharmacokinetic, Pharmacodynamic, and Drug-Interaction Profile of the Hepatitis C Virus NS5B Polymerase Inhibitor Sofosbuvir. Clin Pharmacokinet. 2015 Jul;54(7):677-90. doi: 10.1007/s40262-015-0261-7. PMID: 25822283.
Related medical questions
- What is the difference between hepatitis B and C?
- What is the best time of day to take Epclusa?
- Does Epclusa work if you miss doses?
- How long is an Epclusa treatment?
- What are the new drugs for the treatment of hepatitis C?
- Does Epclusa cure Hep C, what is the success rate?
- How much does Epclusa cost?
- Can you drink alcohol while taking Epclusa?
- Epclusa vs Harvoni – Which is better?
- How does Epclusa work in the body?
- What is the difference between Vosevi and Epclusa?
- Epclusa Information for Consumers
- Epclusa prescribing info & package insert (for Health Professionals)
- Side Effects of Epclusa (detailed)
Related support groups
- Epclusa (27 questions, 125 members)