How long does 9mg melatonin stay in your system?
How long does it normally take to work and how long does it stay in the system?
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Nov 2, 2020.
Melatonin is not regulated by the FDA like a medicine. It is classified as a dietary supplement and so data and research about its effects are limited. However, Melatonin is eliminated quickly, blood levels are reduced by half after 20 to 50 minutes. Doses are best given 30 to 60 minutes before bed with peak levels around an hour later.
Studies suggest melatonin may be effective in promoting but not maintaining sleep (early morning awakening). There is no data available on how long one can stay asleep.
Melatonin is a manmade form of a hormone produced in the brain that helps regulate your sleep and wake cycle. It has been used in alternative medicine as a likely effective aid in treating insomnia (trouble falling asleep or staying asleep).
If you are taking a long acting melatonin formulation and suffer from night time waking, you may get more success with these rather than standard release formulations.
For more information visit: https://www.drugs.com/melatonin.html
Related Medical Questions
- Is taking 30mg melatonin safe?
- How long does melatonin 5mg keep you asleep?
- Is melatonin safe for kids to take?
- Lorazepam vs Xanax: What is the difference?
- Diphenhydramine Hydrochloride vs Citrate: What's the difference?
- Does caffeine affect Vraylar?
- What is this pill? Tannish peach color, elliptical, marked 10 MG and 5 dots in a small box?
- Melatonin Information for Consumers
- Melatonin Information for Healthcare Professionals (includes dosage details)
- Side Effects of Melatonin (detailed)