User Reviews for Melatonin

Also known as: Bio-Melatonin, Health Aid Melatonin, Melatonin Time Release, SGard, VesPro Melatonin

Jet Lag

1 review 5 medications
Insomnia
6.7

Summary of Melatonin reviews 6.7 147 reviews

Reviews for Melatonin

For Insomnia: "I’m a nurse so lots of shift work, not willing to go for anything to hard, got some circadin( melatonin slow release) 2mg, took for few days, just so I can have a decent sleep. First nite/day slept like 16 hours on and off, next few days kinda 6-8 hours, but crazy vivid dreams, another two days-depressed as anything, feeling like a zombie, no jokes, worst anxiety, depression ever, never again"

Nat (taken for less than 1 month) August 5, 2018

For Insomnia: "I've been having problems sleeping so I decided to try and take this I was also giving it to my children and I'm not going to do that anymore. It doesn't help you sleep as for my experience after taking it I did get sleepy but the next morning I woke up with such nervousness and anxiety I had throughout the whole day it was the worst feeling ever."

Unkown (taken for less than 1 month) July 18, 2018

For Insomnia: "I am 72 yo now and have never had any trouble falling asleep in the past until January this year when I became unable to fall asleep before 4 to 5 a.m. - every night and on a couple of occasions not at all! I was prescribed sleeping tablets but have not wanted to rely on them, so I tried anti-hystamine based tablets to try and help me sleep but they just left me feeling drowsy and wasted the next day. I then started on 3 mgs of melatonin about half an hour before going to bed and I am so pleased. They work beautifully. I get a good night's sleep and wake up refreshed the next day. I have not had any side effects from them either. They have certainly helped me."

pjcm (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 18, 2018

For Insomnia: "I have delayed sleep phase syndrome. I basically hate this condition, I am simply unable to start sleeping before 4 am no matter how tired I am and how early I go into bed. Research indicates this is a genetic, irreversible condition. Before entering medication I tried every possible trick to fall asleep in normal time, nothing ever worked. This was before I started taking 1 mg melatonin less than 1 month ago. It worked wonders since day one. I go to bed 3 hours after taking it, in a darkened room, and fall asleep in less than 30 min. I wake up the following day in normal time without any grogginess. It is true that it gives crazy, vivid dreams though. This might be too much for most people. Not in my case, I got used after a while, and I really don´t mind given the overall benefit. Just keep in mind this is not a drug to make you sleep. That is why it does not work in most insomnia cases. This is a drug to regulate your sleep-wake cycle, simple as that."

PHL June 30, 2018

For Insomnia: "I tried it for a couple nights when I had trouble in falling asleep and it didn’t work at all! I was still awake for more than an hour after taking it and had a lot of dreams even felt into sleep finally, then woke up earlier than usual with heavy head feeling! My husband is a good sleeper who usually fall into sleep quickly and sleeps soundly. He tried to test it for me one night and the next morning he complained that he woke up earlier with a light headache. So I have to throw it away to avoid make my sleep problem even worse! Drug like this should be tested before putting into market!"

Lily (taken for less than 1 month) June 21, 2018

For Insomnia: "These pills are rubbish I asked for a sleeping pill. So why am I awake at midnight? My mother is dying of terminal cancer. I'm so stressed that I can't sleep and they give me this rubbish. DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME ON THIS MEDICINE IF YOU ACTUALLY NEED TO SLEEP. It's a cash cow industry for big pharma. Nothing more. It's not even subsidised. I'm taking these back to the doctor tomorrow, throwing them at him and then asking for a sleeping pill. "

Thomas S Hunterson (taken for less than 1 month) May 31, 2018

For Insomnia: "Mild headache, mild dizziness. Took 30 minutes before bedtime. Don't think I'll take again if I can feel negative effects."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) April 25, 2018

For Insomnia: "Unable to fall asleep. Terrible nightmares. Headaches and drowsiness the next day"

Siggie (taken for less than 1 month) April 22, 2018

For Insomnia: "My first attempt at using this medication left me manic. I was expecting a good nights sleep. I was awake the whole night. Second attempt some weeks later I had my dinner one hour before taking the medication to ensure it worked. Another night of no sleep. At 5am I was up and cleaning the bathroom and washing floors, at 3am I was watching a DVD. Next day I was shattered I had no energy and couldn’t drive for safety reasons. Never again will I take these meds."

Bondie April 8, 2018

For Insomnia: "This works extremely well for sleep latency. No side effects after a few months. I am otherwise completely mentally and physically healthy, just takes forever to get to sleep. Melatonin has proved an extraordinarily effective fix."

anton April 1, 2018

For Insomnia: "Ok, just not very strong and quits working after a week or so."

Dantheman93 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 31, 2018

For Insomnia: "While I was at work, wife stated she was going to take Melatonin to get to sleep and rest. 3 hours later, she calls me at work crying. Stating that she isn't going to share me with a spanish speaking girl. Still crying, wants to know why I am with her. Of course, I have no idea what she is talking about. Call my daughter and have her go to our room where she finds my wife standing in the closet crying and murmuring. Even asks my daughter what is she doing in the house. Daughter is scared and has to hold her to get her back to sleep. That is some crazy stuff there. Beware of this sleep aid."

Jim 'the husband' (taken for less than 1 month) February 10, 2018

For Insomnia: "Melatonin is decent to help me feel a bit drowsy and fall asleep, but it’s pretty weak at keeping me asleep. It sometimes feels like I rebound from the melatonin an hour after I fall asleep. Some nights it has no effect at all. It doesn’t compare to Ambien, but it is far less expensive."

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 26, 2017

For Insomnia: "Was good the first week helped me sleep well woke up fine then the 2nd week I woke up feeling like I was having a panic attack and then felt so sleepy I was scared their was something wrong with me and was not feeling right at all and woke up with headaches and feeling groggy all day .. horrible won't take it again."

Brappp890 (taken for less than 1 month) November 5, 2017

For Insomnia: "I was prescribed this medication to help assist my sleep. I took between 2 and 4 a night and often found that this didn't help at all. I was still up at night, unable to get a to sleep and remain asleep. I was once again up with my worries. I would just like to note I was also on anti depressants which may have caused this medication to not work correctly."

LaurenM27 September 20, 2017

For Insomnia: "I really like my melatonin. It makes me sleep a lot better on its own. Even with just one pill , it helps make me a bit drowsy and I feel like I can get to sleep a bit more quickly. This one really doesn't carry over into the next day as much as some of my other ones for sleep. The only thing is , it's really not as strong as I need. I have really intense insomnia. It does work though and the difference is noticeable. It tends to also melt pretty quickly but it's pretty flavorless , so , it's not that bad. I think for just someone who has occasional , minor insomnia , It's something that would work out."

LOVELIGHT777 (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 13, 2017

For Insomnia: "My pain specialist recommended this and after reading reviews I was so reluctant to take it, however I tried it and yes it did work 20mins later. I found myself relaxed, it was like I took a valium but when I woke up my heart rate was so low which wasn't normal for me. My HR is usually 65-80 but when I woke up I had a irregular heart beat of 43bpm. I thought I was going to have a panic attack cos of a sunken feeling in my chest. I suffer with PTSD, depression, anxiety and have CRPS so I do take 8 meds when necessary. Will I continue taking 2mg melatonin? No, unless the blood test shows ur "lacking melatonin" I wouldn't recommend this. The number of complaints is quite alarming to me."

Kay1812 September 13, 2017

For Insomnia: "Insomnia started years ago due to ageing. Tried several sleep aids then settled on just 1/2mg Melatonin nightly. Gives me 6-8 hrs sleep including REM. Often remember dreams; like watched or created 3-4 different movies in my mind i.e. REM every 2hrs. Would give Melatonin a 10 except every 2 wks or so it stops working. Tried increasing dosage at that point but even going up to just 1mg gives me neurological twitches. For me, a retiree, what works is 2 wks 1/2mg alternating with 2 wks of zero sleep aids, tolerating sleeplessness. Beware of doctors who offer to replace Melatonin with things that will fry your brains while sparing your heart. Melatonin does not directly induce sleep; it can nudge your body's natural melatonin production."

grandpawgrizzly (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 13, 2017

For Insomnia: "It it true this medicine can make depression worse in people who are pre disposed to depression? This is in the brain serotonin is converted into melatonin? The brain has a feed back sensing mechanism: if one takes melatonin tablet the normal level of melatonin present at the receptors goes up , the brain senses this and responds by decreasing serotonin production! I think this drug can be useful for jet lag for those who are not pre disposed to anxiety and depression! I'm pre disposed and I tried it once and felt hopeless the next day! Also did not help sleep! Be careful with melatonin if depression and anxiety are present or are in remission! One can try it and see how they feel!"

Izn (taken for less than 1 month) September 12, 2017

For Insomnia: "I took 1.5 mg of Melatonin for almost a year and found that it did help me sleep. I started having heart palpations about a month later but never associated it with the Melatonin until I went on vacation and did not take it. I did not have any a-fib symptoms when not taking it. When I returned home I took my usual dosage and started having the same afib symptoms. I stopped taking it completely and have not had any afib symptoms since! I was ready to have heart ablation because the heart medication could not keep the palpations under control. I'm so thankful that I found the cause and will never take Melatonin again. My doctor agreed."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 10, 2017

For Insomnia: "Gone up to 6mg per night now, still experiencing staying awake until the early hours then 4 hours sleep, or being awake for 36/48 hours then 6 hours sleep cycle. I'm at a loss as to what to do next."

belles1979 May 15, 2017

For Insomnia: "I've had problems with sleep for around 7-8 years, and I started taking this 4-5 years ago. It has worked absolute wonders! I take 2-3 pumps or 6-10 drops (depending on what I have) and go to lay in bed. I usually lay in bed for a while either reading or doing something else, and at around 10-11 I go "properly" to bed. I easily fall asleep, and I'm able to wake up in the morning, without feeling incredibly grumpy and such. Normally if I don't have school and such I wake up (naturally, not by an alarm) at around 7-9, completely and well rested, and all the other times I get up at 6.30, also well rested and ready for a new day."

Anonymous April 12, 2017

For Insomnia: "I am over 50 and I no longer get the amount of sleep that I used to.Went from 8 hours to now I'm lucky if I get 5 hours and it's interrupted sleep. I tried prescription sleeping pills once, but they had nasty side affects Melatonin really helps. If you take too high a dose( larger than 3mg) you will wake up with a headache I break a 3mg pill in half and take it"

KrystalR April 12, 2017

For Insomnia: "It actually really works great for me. I go to sleep and stay asleep taking 3mg at bedtime. I am using the kind that dissolves on your tongue. My tongue is feeling kind of burned. Anyone else having that problem??"

Cgbrn March 10, 2017

For Insomnia: "Caused anxiety and depression. Didn't realise this after taking them for a year. When I stop taking them I became my good old self. Doc confirmed this side effects afterwards cause I had a new doc"

qqii (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 10, 2017