User Reviews for Melatonin

Also known as: Bio-Melatonin, Health Aid Melatonin, Melatonin Time Release, SGard, VesPro Melatonin

Learn more about Melatonin.

Jet Lag 1 reviews 5 medications

Insomnia 125 reviews 107 medications

Summary of Melatonin reviews 126 reviews 8.5

Reviews for Melatonin

For Insomnia: "I've had problems with sleep for around 7-8 years, and I started taking this 4-5 years ago. It has worked absolute wonders! I take 2-3 pumps or 6-10 drops (depending on what I have) and go to lay in bed. I usually lay in bed for a while either reading or doing something else, and at around 10-11 I go "properly" to bed. I easily fall asleep, and I'm able to wake up in the morning, without feeling incredibly grumpy and such. Normally if I don't have school and such I wake up (naturally, not by an alarm) at around 7-9, completely and well rested, and all the other times I get up at 6.30, also well rested and ready for a new day."

Anonymous April 12, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Insomnia: "I am over 50 and I no longer get the amount of sleep that I used to.Went from 8 hours to now I'm lucky if I get 5 hours and it's interrupted sleep. I tried prescription sleeping pills once, but they had nasty side affects Melatonin really helps. If you take too high a dose( larger than 3mg) you will wake up with a headache I break a 3mg pill in half and take it"

KrystalR April 12, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Insomnia: "It actually really works great for me. I go to sleep and stay asleep taking 3mg at bedtime. I am using the kind that dissolves on your tongue. My tongue is feeling kind of burned. Anyone else having that problem??"

Cgbrn March 10, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Insomnia: "Caused anxiety and depression. Didn't realise this after taking them for a year. When I stop taking them I became my good old self. Doc confirmed this side effects afterwards cause I had a new doc"

qqii (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 10, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Insomnia: "For insomnia I think it helps, 1mg to 3mg depending on each one's body. But if you don't get to sleep properly, maybe anxiety is the cause. In my case and from my life experience, I do some tricks to beat both anxiety and insomnia: 1.5mg melatonin 30min before bed time; Spend those 30min reading a book (out of the bedroom) with just 5w blue-light; Take 75mg Trazodone when already in bed, just before program my alarm-clock, lights out; Always get up before 9am (no matter what); Exercise outdoors 40min (before lunch time ); Have 2 hobbys: listen to music (without headphones) and study collective sports; Dinner time before 8:30pm; And psychotherapy 2 times a month, forever. SO: melatonin is a part of a whole."

Cistus James B (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 25, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Insomnia: "Was prescribed melatonin by my doctor about 2 months ago. Due to anxiety, and tinnitus I hadn't been sleeping until around 6-7am or not at all. Having university the next day was a big pain, when I had no sleep and had to be able to focus for the rest of the day. I had been on many different medications before for both anxiety and insomnia, some of which worked but all had bad side effects. Melatonin works extremely well for me, with no noticeable side effects. I take 2 mg two hours before bed, and it works well. I normally get a good 7-9 hours sleep when I take melatonin and don't feel drowsy the next day."

Mike12123 January 25, 2017

21 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Insomnia: "Have never experienced such a high quality of sleep since 8 years, was very promising. Experienced night sweats and vivid dreams at the beginning . But I didn't mind at all because I thought finally I can stop taking benzos and go with this healthier alternative. After the 3rd day and increasing with each day, my preexisting stuttering condition worsened significantly and I began to experience severe anxiety and felt dizzy during the day. My doctor saw me during treatment and a week after stopping and was shocked at how much my stuttering decreased and anxiety reduction. I am so disappointed it didn't work for me. I still recommend people try it."

RoseRose22 January 24, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Melatonin Time Release (melatonin) for Jet Lag: "Hi , just wanted to share my melatonin experience after my travel to thailand. My jetlag has been really bad for days and of my friends had melatonin pills with him. The effect is fast and stronger then a sleeping pill. How can that be possible ? It could be a dangerous thing and becoming a addiction on people. I did it 3 times. And I felt super depressed the next mornings. So I guess something is not right when people are saying.... OH NO WORRIES MELATONIN IS IN YOUR BODY ALREADY. IT IS NOT DANGEROUS."

VLEberlin January 17, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Insomnia: "I'm an 18 year old with insomnia. I have difficulty falling asleep on my own & when I finally do, it's a chore to wake up! I started taking Melatonin 3mg and I've slept amazing! It works within the first hour and I can actually wake up from my alarm! I took one at 8 last night, fell asleep around 8:45 and woke up at 5 this morning with no problem. First time I've woken up before the afternoon and felt awake enough to get my nephew ready for school!"

Anonymous January 17, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Insomnia: "I have been taking Zopiclone which my doctor did not like me taking so I saw that Montmerency cherry juice can help. I go to bed at 1 to 2 am and wake up early. I don't know if this is coincidence but I slept in this a.m. until 12.30 I can't remember a time I didn"t wake up early and tired so will keep taking it. I have got the tart concentrated juice it is fairly expensive but has to be diluted so lasts quite a while"

Helaine 6 January 16, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Insomnia: "Hi. I got some of this from my doc as I was having bad dreams about my father who had recently passed. My experience has been absolutely awful. Dreams out of this world! It takes the first 2 hours of the day getting over the wild vivid craziness that happened in your supposed deep sleep. Then came the DEPRESSION!! I have never been depressed and never full understood how others felt, now I do!! I knew it was the Melatonin so I stopped and I was fine. I am not going to ramble on but be so careful, it's an insidious drug, for me anyway."

Ecas123 (taken for less than 1 month) January 3, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Insomnia: "Be careful. I was prescribed Circadin by my psychiatrist to help with insomnia caused by my antidepressant. Over a period of around 3 months I became anxious, agitated, and extremely depressed. I felt like I was losing my mind. I then realised that my deterioration coincided with starting the melatonin so I stopped it. Within 24 hours by depression was under control and I was back to my normal self. It says on the drug information that it can worsen depression and cause mood changes yet my psychiatrist thought it would be a good idea to prescribe it for someone with severe depression. It also caused awful trapped wind and tummy pain. It's a shame because as a sleeping tablet it did actually work. Back to zopiclone for me!"

RosieLea December 14, 2016

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Insomnia: "After two nights of sweats which I was told would go away,the night before last they almost did. As I'm being hauled by ambulance with a threaded heart rate of 40. 3 MG. No other medicines. No allergies"

Soopercooper (taken for less than 1 month) December 10, 2016

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Insomnia: "Many people dose this medicine far too high. 5mg and above is absurd. 0.3mg-1mg gives me a beautiful nights rest. 2mg and 3mg and I was waking up every few hours. If you are having sleeping troubles while taking melatonin, try a lower dose! Higher dose does not mean better sleep, it can mean the opposite! Good luck"

MateoJ (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 30, 2016

23 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Insomnia: "Works very well at first to help you fall asleep but I sometimes wake up very early or in the middle of the night and can't fall back asleep. But I tend to overthink if I'm just laying in bed trying to sleep so I'm glad that the melatonin helps me fall asleep quickly. Quite useful for when I have to stay up late doing homework and then wake up early the next day for class. I take it within an hour before I go to sleep and my eyelids get heavier and heavier from there."

Elisabeth Dranoel November 29, 2016

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Insomnia: "my first trial experience :fall a sleep within one hour after taking the tablet but just for one hour then again for 3 hours .it help in starting sleep but not its not continuous , next day felt as if i took antihistamine."

mmmg (taken for less than 1 month) October 27, 2016

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Insomnia: "First time didn't make me sleep and I felt nausea and dopey all the next day. A tried it months later one night and got severe head aches and didn't make me sleep."

Comsta October 19, 2016

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Insomnia: "I wake up after 3 hours, doesn't seem to last long. Worse part I have hyperpigmentation on my face. I'm upset about this bc it's not mentioned in the side effects but melatonin is the cause of my pigmentation which appeared 1 month after taking tablets."

ellabella4321 October 18, 2016

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Insomnia: "CAUTION with the DOSAGE of this thing. I've seen from 0.3mg to 10mg being sold. Got a really BAD headache the next day when taking 1mg before sleep. Also tried the 0.3mg and got sleepy the next day all, yawing all day long It really "causes" sleep, you'll feel sleepy, but not relaxed at all. It's not like a benzodiazepine(alprazolam/clonazepam/etc). If you already feel your eyes dry/red and yawning, you don't need this! And try the lowest dose you can find. I'm STILL trying to find something lower than 0.3mg because even that dosage seems too much for me. Have been fighting with my "internal clock" since I was a kid.. it seems my brain always want to sleep later and later... and that feeling that I won't sleep causes me anxiety too"

heiler (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 8, 2016

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Insomnia: "Puts me right to sleep!"

Tay082915 October 8, 2016

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For : "I basically love trying everything... And this is actually a really good supplement, I tried 2mg tabs but I've learnt my body is quite strong against drugs... So whilst I was abroad (need a prescription in the uk) I got 5mg tabs and wow! I'm out with in an hour. If you find you're taking it with no effect, keep taking it for 2 weeks then stop for 3-4 days then start the cycle again, I found this the best way to maximise its effects. If it doesn't hit just take 2 but I can't recommend more as I haven't tried that. DO NOT EVER TAKE SLEEPING PILLS! Worse than lsd."

Doy (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 23, 2016

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Insomnia: "I am a 66 year old woman and have been taking Melatonin since 1990's. I started taking it for sleep since I had to get up early. There was never any side effects. I started out with 3 mg. Then went up from there. I always knew my limited because to much was creating just the opposite effects. I am now at 6 mg. and am doing fine. As we get older the meletonin that our bodies create, diminishes. Also, sleeping without a light or having a very faint night lite, is best. When getting up to go to the bathroom, do not turn on lights for lights depletes the meletonin in your body. I use a colored night light. And may I suggest just turning off your computers and phones so they won't interrupt your sleep."

Tickie (taken for 10 years or more) September 23, 2016

39 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Insomnia: "I've taken melatonin 3g before but I just started taking it again and have been feeling dizzy with extremely bad headaches and my hands are shaky. I also feel it is harder to wake up in the mornings. Not sure if its reacting with my Prozac because before I took Prozac it worked very well. I do recommend it but obviously if you get these symptoms you are going to want to stop."

Sabrina0003 September 9, 2016

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Insomnia: "I took this for three days. Within that short period of time I experienced extreme abdominal pain and cramping, severe migraine headaches, nauseated, drowsiness all day, moodiness, agitation, shaking, etc."

Vontrice August 30, 2016

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Insomnia: "I am 46 years old and have been struggling with hot flashes for 8 years, and more severe now that I have had a total hysterectomy. The side affects of menopause for me have been severe hot flashes all day and all night. I have declined to take unnatural replacements. A week ago I began to take 10 mg Melatonin (quick disolve). I am still waking up throwing the covers off and feeling like my bed is going to catch fire due to the extreme heat of my body..however, I am finally able to fall back to sleep, and feel rested in the morning. I am pleased with the this supplement and I will continue to take it."

Mrs Sonsteby (taken for less than 1 month) August 28, 2016