User Reviews for Melatonin

Jet Lag 10.0
Insomnia 6.1

Reviews for Melatonin

Sady July 21, 2020

For Insomnia: “I tend to stay awake late scrolling social media due to stress and work related anxiety. Took melatonin to help me fall asleep, and have had the strangest experiences. Some nights it works beautifully and I fall asleep quickly, wake up feeling refreshed. Other nights I take it and find I’m thrashing around for hours and hours; my mind thinks I’m awake but the next morning I realize I was sleeping. It feels like an extremely lucid dream, where I cannot move my body but my brain knows everything that’s going on around me. Also sends my heart racing and feels like I’m wide awake while I’m actually in a light sleep. However, it combats my daytime anxiety very well when I do use it before bed (this is a big pro, social anxiety is annoying and common). I’m also mildly irritable after using it, and experience a ‘crash’ around 1-3 pm. If you’re having mild trouble sleeping I’d advise changing some habits before you try melatonin.”

Maree28 June 25, 2020

For Insomnia: “This melatonin was recommended by a paediatrician for our four year old daughter who was going to bed at 11 pm most nights and just couldn’t wind down. She is on 3mg, though as I purchased from USA online as it’s a lot cheaper than Australia, I also got a higher dosage, 5mg, for the rest of the family to try as we have all survived since her arrival on very little sleep in the household. This has been life changing for us and I researched the medication thoroughly as I was hesitant to give my child any medications though our experience has truly been exceptional with no side effects or issues as such. A wonder drug and one that I thoroughly recommend.”

Nowayhosay · Taken for less than 1 month April 27, 2020

For Insomnia: “Well. I have taken Circadin 2mg for three nights now. Dr prescribed these for me as for many years I have nightmares, talking, screaming in my sleep, thrash around night tremors in other words. Vivid dreams. Also take anti- depressants. No trouble falling asleep. Need to sleep 12 hours to feel normal as my dream life is so hectic! After taking this med, nightmares are worse!, heart is racing, waking up 2 am and like I've drunk 20 cans of Red Bull. Talking so fast I can't hear what I'm saying. Don't know what will work for me but this ain't the stuff! Never again!!!”

coo March 10, 2020

For Insomnia: “Thank you , you have changed my life !! Melatonin is now my best friend and addiction!”

Ol'Briar · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 2, 2020

For Insomnia: “Was going to bed, falling asleep, waking couple hours later and staying awake 4-5 hours before going back to sleep. Dr gave me Melatonin - been taking 0.08 mL and sleeping soundly for 9+ hrs. Problem is drowsiness for 3-4 hrs. after arising. Still feel better than before so going to reduce dosage and see what happens.”

achoo · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 25, 2020

For Insomnia: “.6 ml of melatonin makes me fall asleep after 2 hrs or so of taking it. Also helps with headaches most times. I am worried about long term effects of taking it regularly. Without it I cannot sleep at all. It works for me.”

zzzzzzz · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 16, 2020

For Insomnia: “I have had chronic insomnia for 20 years, and usually coped by taking afternoon naps when I had to work through a day on 4-6 hours of sleep, or exercising extremely hard to tire myself out (neither is a long-term good solution). Melatonin works extremely well for me. I would recommend carefully starting with 1mg and increasing 1mg at a time only to the extent that it's necessary. If I take 2mg I'm asleep in an hour with a 50% likelihood, and if I take 5mg I'm asleep in 45 minutes with a 90% likelihood. But the vivid, often disturbing dreams are more common on nights when I take the larger dose. Still worth it to me even with the dreams. I personally have not had any of the side effects from melatonin other people have mentioned like an increase in depression or suicidal thoughts, and I'm extremely prone to both of those. Aside from marijuana, this is my best option for getting 8 hours of sleep regularly.”

Carlos Oliveira · Taken for less than 1 month January 15, 2020

For Insomnia: “I took melatonin 5mg every other night for three nights. It did help me fall sleep 2 - 3 hours earlier than my normal sleeping time, but it was always a poor quality sleep, very light, tossing and turning in the bed all night long, having weird nightmares and being half-awake. It is close to not sleeping at all. All things considered, I prefer to get some good deep sleep 3 hours later then get "melatonin sleep" earlier.”

Big B · Taken for less than 1 month January 12, 2020

“My wife and I have started giving our severely ADHD 4 year old melatonin, we're three days in and it has been working great! Before this, he was staying up literally until anywhere between 9:30 pm and 2:30 am, not falling asleep or staying asleep due to not being able to settle down. At first, we gave him the recommended dose on the bottle and the side effects for him were sleepwalking and talking very loudly, Practically screaming in his sleep so we dropped the dose little by little until we found a good dosage. Now, he sleeps through the night no problem and Mommy & Daddy get to sleep all night too!”

Oma · Taken for less than 1 month December 25, 2019

For Insomnia: “I have been taking this for a week. I have anxiety, depression and panic attacks, and then after a Dr, change I was taken off my meds. So someone said take benadryl. Not a good Idea! I called ambulance when I could not stand the feeling of anxiousness and a paramedic said yes try melatonin when I asked because , heart racing, etc from benadryl . Well, not a good idea on my part either with melatonin! It is the same thing! Not as bad, but I sleep a couple hours, wake up all nervous and scared about health. I have started to cry at any little thing now. Have appointment with new Dr. But not for 2 weeks. I can't stand this! If anyone can recommend something safe please do!”

Bron December 21, 2019

For Insomnia: “Took 2mg melatonin last night to help me sleep and never again. I tossed and turned all night, had strange dreams but felt like I was half awake during them. Today I felt so flat and extremely anxious. It’s 2am and I’m still feeling anxious and just horrible. Having a camomile tea and hoping that it helps me. NEVER again”

Pinkybrain December 21, 2019

For Insomnia: “I take this medication to help me sleep and it works great . It puts me right to sleep I tend to have weird dreams and nightmares sometimes but usually I am able to sleep through the whole night ! I recommend this medication if you have insomnia”

Nypamom · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 3, 2019

For Insomnia: “My son’s doctor recommended melatonin a few years ago because he really had a hard time falling asleep at night. He takes 1 mg before bed and falls asleep 10 minutes later. It’s worked great for him for 2 years with no side effects. I asked hm today if he wants to stop taking it and he said he hates tossing and turning so much that he wants to continue taking it. If you are having side effects, you should try cutting your dose in half.”

Sleeples in NZ December 2, 2019

For Insomnia: “After having open heart surgery I found it extremely hard to fall asleep after trying a number of thing I was prescribed melatonin taking it for a month, I'm no better so this simply has not worked and is a waste of money”

Mari · Taken for less than 1 month November 27, 2019

For Insomnia: “I took melatonin to switch my sleep schedule after working third shift. I was going to bed around 8am and waking up around 3pm. When I took one 12.5 melatonin I fell asleep around 12/1am, but woke up a few times throughout the night. One time I woke up, I was seriously down and the point of living for me was lost. I ended up crying myself to sleep. I have very mild depression that’s mainly work related. I never felt like this before. I’m assuming it’s from the melatonin. So, I’d recommend the with caution to anyone with any depression symptoms or diagnoses depression.”

Anonymous · Taken for 2 to 5 years November 25, 2019

For Insomnia: “melatonin puts me to sleep every night. Once in a while I wake up in the middle of the night and can’t fall back asleep. I feel great the next morning. Only problem I have had to increase my dose every 9 months. I’ve been taking it every night for 2+ years. I’m up to 10 mg”

Merbear · Taken for less than 1 month November 22, 2019

For Insomnia: “Have had off and on insomnia for years, usually only when sleeping somewhere besides my own bed. But then, one day I couldn't sleep in my own bed. Have had off and on trouble since then (about 6 months). I have tried a lot but refuse to go on the anti-depressant meds my doc wants me to try. I tried melatonin, 3mg at bed and it really worked for about 12 days. Then, my insomnia returned and the melatonin stopped working. Also tried a lower dose 1.5 mg. no luck. I now feel my insomnia is worse than before the melatonin. The melatonin also left me with a slight headache and a feeling of "not being myself," kinda numb to my emotions. Glad to be off it. I seriously think short term use only for melatonin!”

Aussie5679 · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 10, 2019

For Insomnia: “I tried the 3mg melatonin from eurovital. Clearly says the ingredients on the back. Noticed today after waking I couldn't breathe properly and had to go to the hospital because of it. Also it has given me a rash in the past. Never again.”

Cat · Taken for less than 1 month October 22, 2019

For Insomnia: “My experience with melatonin has been horrible. I suffer from severe anxiety and after a particularly rough patch I was having an incredibly hard time sleeping. My boyfriend gave me a 5mg melatonin and while it helped me fall asleep rather quickly, the effects the next day have been devastating. I feel like I've been drugged; my limbs feel extremely heavy, I feel so out of it and my anxiety keeps spiking. I keep wanting to cry and sleep forever. After seeing all the comments here about the affect of melatonin on anxiety and depression sufferers it all makes sense. I'm going to try a 1mg dose because it really did help me sleep but I would never recommend taking anything over that.”

sam9355 · Taken for less than 1 month October 22, 2019

For Insomnia: “Tried melatonin 5mg a little before bed, gave me a lot of anxiety during the night. Would have bouts of deep sleep and wake feeling anxious. Just when I would go to doze off I couldn't because of an anxious feeling like if I would fall asleep I would stop breathing. Not again...”

Achoo · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 15, 2019

For Insomnia: “Takin 300mcg melatonin at bed time. Can sleep good invariably no headache in the morning which I always get. But feel dizzy. Bone hurts all over. Don't know if it's because of that.”

Iamsuspect October 3, 2019

For Insomnia: “I had decades long addiction to Ambien. I decided it was time to get off and then my doctor gave me synthetic melatonin (circadin 2mg). I was told not to use 'natural' melatonin, as this was not 'regulated' and could contain a virus. I did fall asleep but the sleep is extremely light and I don't feel rested. I started having strange non sensual and upsetting dreams. It's 3 am right now, just woke up from a synthetic melatonin nightmare and I realized this is the problem with synthetic meds, it's not natural so your body doesn't know what to do with it. The synthetic meds gives you synthetic dreams and nothing about it is natural. It gets worse over time. I don't think I will take it any longer unless I can get the natural version which sounds risky. Now everything makes sense, at least why we shouldn't take synthetic meds a all, Your body battles a lot with it because it doesn't make sense to it at all. Stick to natural stuff rather.”

Annie62 · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 2, 2019

For Insomnia: “I could not understand why, when I used melatonin I had uncontrollable diarrhoea! This was until I looked at the interaction with other medications/ supplements. In my case it was omega 3 (3000 mg), vitamin B12 and vitamin D3..... completely mysterious until I read the interaction section of this website! So thank you, melatonin is not for me.”

Jeni September 23, 2019

For Insomnia: “Circadian 2 mg. I took for 3 nights crazy nightmares, woke exhausted, irritable and anxious. Have also taken herbal melatonin, also useless, no nightmares but no sleep either. Might be effective for some people but not for me.”

Sleeplessme · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 15, 2019

For Insomnia: “I took this for sleep. I have anxiety and depression. Within a week, this put me in such a bad place, and I was crying over everything that had ever happened to me. It's not worth IMO if you've had a diagnosis of depression, don't do it.”