How is Lartruvo administered?
The approved recommended dosage of Lartruvo is 15 milligrams per kilogram (mg/kg) as an intravenous (IV) infusion given over 60 minutes on Days 1 and 8 of each 21-day cycle until disease progression or unacceptable toxicity.
Patients should be premedicated with diphenhydramine (25 to 50 mg intravenously) and dexamethasone (10 to 20 mg intravenously), prior to Lartruvo on Day 1 of cycle 1. For the first 8 cycles, Lartruvo is administered with doxorubicin. Refer to doxorubicin prescribing information for dosing, and dose modifications.
Lartruvo (olaratumab) injection is used in combination with doxorubicin for the treatment of adult patients with soft tissue sarcoma (STS) who cannot be cured with radiation or surgery. The soft tissue sarcoma is a histologic subtype for which an anthracycline-containing regimen is appropriate.
Learn more: What is Soft Tissue Sarcoma?
How does Lartruvo work?
Lartruvo works as a platelet-derived growth factor receptor alpha (PDGFR-α) blocking antibody to help slow or stop tumor growth.
In clinical studies submitted to the FDA, Lartruvo was shown to lengthen survival time. Patients who received Lartruvo with doxorubicin had a statistically significant improvement in overall survival: the median survival was 26.5 months compared to 14.7 months for patients who received doxorubicin alone.
Common side effects included nausea, fatigue, low white blood cells (neutropenia), and muscle pain, among others.
This is not all the information you need to know about Lartruvo (olaratumab) for safe and effective use and does not take the place of talking to your doctor about your treatment. Review the full Lartruvo information here, and discuss this information and any questions you have with your doctor or other health care provider.
- Lartruvo (olaratumab) [product information]. Eli Lilly and Company, Indianapolis, IN. Accessed March 3, 2021 at https://www.drugs.com/pro/lartruvo.html
Related medical questions
- What is the chemo drug called the Red Devil?
- What is the strongest chemotherapy drug for breast cancer?
- What is the lifetime or cumulative dose for Adriamycin?
- How does AC (Adriamycin and Cytoxan [cyclophosphamide]) work for Breast Cancer?
- What are the long-term side effects of Adriamycin?
- Does Adriamycin cause heart failure?
- What type of cancer is Tecentriq used to treat?
- Does Votrient cure cancer or shrink tumors?
- How long does Votrient stay in your system?
- Is Votrient immunotherapy?
- Is Votrient a chemotherapy treatment?