How much does Gilenya cost?
- Gilenya 0.5mg costs around $302 per capsule, or $9053 for a supply of 30 capsules.
- 96 to 99% of people with commercial or private health insurance or who are eligible for Medicare or Medicaid are covered for Gilenya.
- Co-pay assistance is also available through the GILENYA Medical Co-Pay Support Program. Most people pay nothing. The cost of pre-tests and first observations may also be covered.
Gilenya (fingolimod) is an immunosuppressant that may be used for the treatment of relapsing multiple sclerosis (MS) in adults and children and adolescents aged 10 years and older.
Gilenya is expensive.
The usual recommended dose of Gilenya is 0.5 mg orally once daily in adults and children over the age of 10 who weigh more than 40kg. For those under 40kg, the dose should be reduced to 0.25mg once daily.
According to the Drugs.com price guide which bases its price on the Drugs.com discount card which is accepted at most U.S. pharmacies the cost for Gilenya 0.5mg is around $302 per capsule or $9053 for a supply of 30 capsules depending on the pharmacy you visit. Prices are for cash paying customers only and are not valid with insurance plans.
For people with health insurance, Gilenya has the best overall coverage of any medication that is currently available for relapsing multiple sclerosis, and 96% of people with private health insurance or who are covered by Medicare or Medicaid are covered, as well as 99% of those with commercial insurance.
Gilenya also offers comprehensive co-pay assistance under the Gilenya Medical Co-Pay Support Program. Most eligible people paid a $0 prescription co-pay for Gilenya. This program may also cover the costs of pretests and the first-dose observation done through the Gilenya Assessment Network (GAN) -- either in a medical facility or at home. Sometimes testing outside of GAN is also covered. If you need further advice about patient assistance programs, contact Novartis Patient Assistance NOW by calling 1-800-245-5356 or by visiting www.patientassistancenow.com.
For those experiencing financial hardship or with no prescription coverage, The Novartis Patient Assistance Foundation, Inc. (NPAF) is committed to providing access to Novartis medications for those most in need. Call the Gilenya Go Program at 1 800-445-3692.
How does Gilenya work?
Gilenya works by blocking the migration of lymphocytes (a type of immune cell) from the lymph nodes into the bloodstream.
Although it is not exactly known how fingolimod exerts its effects in multiple sclerosis it may be due to a decrease in the migration of lymphocytes into the brain and spinal cord (central nervous system).
Gilenya will not cure MS, it will only decrease the frequency of relapse symptoms.
Related Medical Questions
- What are the new drugs used for multiple sclerosis (MS)?
- Gilenya vs Tecfidera. How do they compare?
- What happens when you stop taking Gilenya?
- Does Gilenya suppress the immune system?
- How long does it take Gilenya to work?
- Does Gilenya cause hair loss?
- Where is Gilenya manufactured and by whom?
- What does Gilenya do for multiple sclerosis (MS)?