Where is Gilenya manufactured and by whom?
- Gilenya is manufactured by Novartis.
- Gilenya is manufactured in the Novartis Pharma GmbH manufacturing plant situated in Nuremberg, Germany.
Gilenya (fingolimod) is an immunosuppressant that may be used for the treatment of relapsing multiple sclerosis (MS) in adults, and children and adolescents aged 10 years and older.
Gilenya is a Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corporation product. Novartis is a Swiss company and its headquarters are in Basel, Switzerland. Novartis also makes other drugs such as carbamazepine (Tegretol), clozapine (Clozaril), cyclosporine (Neoral/Sandimmune), diclofenac (Voltaren), imatinib mesylate (Gleevec/Glivec), letrozole (Femara), methylphenidate (Ritalin), terbinafine (Lamisil), valsartan (Diovan), and others.
Gilenya is manufactured in the Novartis Pharma GmbH manufacturing plant situated in Nuremberg, Germany.
How does Gilenya work?
Gilenya works by blocking the migration of lymphocytes (a type of immune cell) from the lymph nodes into the bloodstream.
Although it is not exactly known how Gilenya exerts its effects in multiple sclerosis it may be due to a decrease in the migration of lymphocytes into the brain and spinal cord (central nervous system).
Gilenya will not cure MS, it will only decrease the frequency of relapse symptoms.
What is Gilenya made from?
Gilenya is derived from myriocin (ISP-1), a natural immunosuppressant and metabolite of the fungus Isaria sinclairii. It was first made by Yoshitomi Pharmaceuticals in 1992 from ISP-I through chemical modification.
- Gilenya (fingolimod) [Package Inserts]. Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corporation https://www.drugs.com/pro/gilenya.html
- Novartis Pharma GmbH/Germany, Bloomberg.com https://www.bloomberg.com/profile/company/7016557Z:GR
Related medical questions
- Can Gilenya cause weight gain?
- Can Gilenya cause high blood pressure?
- Gilenya and the covid-19 vaccine, what should I know?
- Can Gilenya cause headaches?
- Gilenya vs Tecfidera. How do they compare?
- What are the new drugs used for multiple sclerosis (MS)?
- How much does Gilenya cost?
- What happens when you stop taking Gilenya?
- Does Gilenya suppress the immune system?
- How long does it take Gilenya to work?
- Does Gilenya cause hair loss?