Where is Gilenya manufactured and by whom?
Medically reviewed by Carmen Fookes, BPharm Last updated on Apr 28, 2020.
Official Answerby Drugs.com
- Gilenya is manufactured by Novartis.
- Gilenya is manufactured in the Novartis Pharma GmbH manufacturing plant situated in Nuremberg, Germany.
Gilenya (fingolimod) is an immunosuppressant that may be used for the treatment of relapsing multiple sclerosis (MS) in adults, and children and adolescents aged 10 years and older.
Gilenya is a Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corporation product. Novartis is a Swiss company and its headquarters are in Basel, Switzerland. Novartis also makes other drugs such as carbamazepine (Tegretol), clozapine (Clozaril), cyclosporine (Neoral/Sandimmune), diclofenac (Voltaren), imatinib mesylate (Gleevec/Glivec), letrozole (Femara), methylphenidate (Ritalin), terbinafine (Lamisil), valsartan (Diovan), and others.
Gilenya is manufactured in the Novartis Pharma GmbH manufacturing plant situated in Nuremberg, Germany.
How does Gilenya work?
Gilenya works by blocking the migration of lymphocytes (a type of immune cell) from the lymph nodes into the bloodstream.
Although it is not exactly known how Gilenya exerts its effects in multiple sclerosis it may be due to a decrease in the migration of lymphocytes into the brain and spinal cord (central nervous system).
Gilenya will not cure MS, it will only decrease the frequency of relapse symptoms.
What is Gilenya made from?
Gilenya is derived from myriocin (ISP-1), a natural immunosuppressant and metabolite of the fungus Isaria sinclairii. It was first made by Yoshitomi Pharmaceuticals in 1992 from ISP-I through chemical modification.
- Gilenya (fingolimod) [Package Inserts]. Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corporation https://www.drugs.com/pro/gilenya.html
- Novartis Pharma GmbH/Germany, Bloomberg.com https://www.bloomberg.com/profile/company/7016557Z:GR
Related Medical Questions
- What are the new drugs used for multiple sclerosis (MS)?
- Does Gilenya cause hair loss?
- How much does Gilenya cost?
- How long does it take Gilenya to work?
- What does Gilenya do for multiple sclerosis (MS)?