Generic name: CALCIFEDIOL 30ug
Dosage form: capsule, extended release
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Dec 7, 2020.
Important Dosage and Administration Information
- Ensure serum calcium is below 9.8 mg/dL before initiating treatment [see Warnings and Precautions (5.1)].
- Instruct patients to swallow RAYALDEE capsules whole.
- Instruct patients to skip a missed dose and to resume taking the medicine at the next regularly scheduled time. Do not administer an extra dose.
Starting Dose and Dose Titration
- The initial dose of RAYALDEE is 30 mcg administered orally once daily at bedtime.
- The maintenance dose of RAYALDEE should target serum total 25-hydroxyvitamin D levels between 30 and 100 ng/mL, intact parathyroid hormone (PTH) levels within the desired therapeutic range, serum calcium (corrected for low albumin) within the normal range and serum phosphorus below 5.5 mg/dL.
- Monitor serum calcium, serum phosphorus, serum total 25-hydroxyvitamin D and intact PTH levels at a minimum of 3 months after initiation of therapy or dose adjustment, and subsequently at least every 6 to 12 months.
- Increase the dose to 60 mcg orally once daily at bedtime after approximately 3 months, if intact PTH remains above the desired therapeutic range. Prior to raising the dose, ensure serum calcium is below 9.8 mg/dL, serum phosphorus is below 5.5 mg/dL and serum total 25-hydroxyvitamin D is below 100 ng/mL.
- Suspend dosing if intact PTH is persistently and abnormally low to reduce the risk of adynamic bone disease [see Warnings and Precautions (5.3)], if serum calcium is consistently above the normal range to reduce the risk of hypercalcemia [see Warnings and Precautions (5.1)], or if serum total 25-hydroxyvitamin D is consistently above 100 ng/mL. Restart at a reduced dose after these laboratory values have normalized.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
Frequently Asked Questions
More about Rayaldee (calcifediol)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 8 Reviews
- Drug class: vitamins
- FDA Approval History