Generic name: COLESTIPOL HYDROCHLORIDE 1g
Dosage form: tablet
Medically reviewed on July 3, 2018.
For adults, COLESTID Tablets are recommended in doses of 2 to 16 grams/day given once or in divided doses. The starting dose should be 2 grams once or twice daily. Dosage increases of 2 grams, once or twice daily should occur at 1- or 2-month intervals. Appropriate use of lipid profiles as per NCEP guidelines including LDL-C and triglycerides, is advised so that optimal but not excessive doses are used to obtain the desired therapeutic effect on LDL-C level. If the desired therapeutic effect is not obtained at a dose of 2 to 16 grams/day with good compliance and acceptable side effects, combined therapy or alternate treatment should be considered.
COLESTID Tablets must be taken one at a time and be promptly swallowed whole, using plenty of water or other appropriate liquid. Do not cut, crush, or chew the tablets. Patients should take other drugs at least one hour before or four hours after COLESTID Tablets to minimize possible interference with their absorption. (See DRUG INTERACTIONS.)
Before Administration of COLESTID Tablets
- Define the type of hyperlipoproteinemia, as described in NCEP guidelines.
- Institute a trial of diet and weight reduction.
- Establish baseline serum total and LDL-C and triglyceride levels.
During Administration of COLESTID Tablets
- The patient should be carefully monitored clinically, including serum cholesterol and triglyceride levels. Periodic determinations of serum cholesterol levels as outlined in the NCEP guidelines should be done to confirm a favorable initial and long-term response.
- Failure of total or LDL-C to fall within the desired range should lead one to first examine dietary and drug compliance. If these are deemed acceptable, combined therapy or alternate treatment should be considered.
- Significant rise in triglyceride level should be considered as indication for dose reduction, drug discontinuation, or combined or alternate therapy.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
More about Colestid (colestipol)
- Colestid Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- Generic Availability
- Drug class: bile acid sequestrants