User Reviews for Tamsulosin

Also known as: Flomax

Learn more about Tamsulosin.

Tamsulosin Rating Summary

8.1/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 23 medications used in the treatment of Urinary Tract Stones.

Reviews for Tamsulosin to treat Urinary Tract Stones

Flomax (tamsulosin): "40 YO Female just passed a 6mm stone that caused 3 weeks of renal colic followed by 2 months of being stuck in my bladder. CT showed it just outside my urethera. Urologist said surgery. I asked Google. This is where I came across info that indicated flomax could help though not FDA approved for use in women. I figured if the stone had already made it thru the kidney and ureter to the bladder it was certainly possible for it to travel just an inch further. So asked the Dr if I could try flomax before rushing into surgery and she agreed it couldn't hurt. Well it did hurt but only briefly in comparison to the entire episode. 2 pills (2 nights) and my 6 mm stone just kinda fell out. Long 3 month story short, I <3 Flowmax!"

I<3Flomax (taken for less than 1 month) June 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Flomax (tamsulosin): "Really I’m interested on your post! Please post more article about Kidney stone Thanks a lot, Hamid "

sangekolye.com June 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was diagnosed with kidney stones (four in left kidney; 3 in right kidney). All are approximately 4 mm. One was ready to go down the ureter and was causing me pain and uncomfortable feeling (like a UTI) for 10 days. Plus months of mid-back pain. I took one dose of Tamsulosin and passed the stone the next morning without any pain at all! I was so shocked! I thought at first that the stone was part of a granola bar that I had eaten a few hours earlier. But it was hard, so I had lab test it (Calcium Oxalate). I still have six more stones to pass. I won't take the Tamsulosin until I have the pain again. I felt a little off for a few days after taking the one dose. But absolutely worth it!"

Suzyinthewest June 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"been taking this med for over one year now originally my doctor prescribed it for Kidney stones which now helps with my prostrate and bladder issues allowing me to have a normal urine flow. Also at one time noticed within a day or two of not taking the med began having a urine flow issue with a noticeable shrinkage in the penis while attempting to urinate. Once back on the medication all issues seem to return back to normal. I take the med in the mornings with all my other medications and supplements and do not experience any side effects by doing that."

Pdybravo (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Flomax (tamsulosin): "It was the first kidney stone I had. Can't say it really helped. I was only supposed to take 2 weeks worth. I was pretty sure I passed stone but doc wanted me to take full dose. Halfway through 2nd week, I wet the bed. I stopped taking them then."

BostonTerrier Mom (taken for less than 1 month) April 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Thanks to all for sharing experiences. 20days back I was diagnosed with kidney stone. This will be my second case in the last 3 years. Initially they opted for an ultrasound to check the size, but couldn't find it. A CT scan last week revealed a "5mm nonobstructing caculus" in the right ureter. The pain wasn't much but seeing blood a few days later while under medication got me worried. I have been given Tamasulosin 0.4mg today. Will start taking it by night, as the doc said it may cause a slight drop in blood pressure so make sure you're in a controlled and safe place. Hope it the stone pops out early. I'm not a fan of drugs of any sorts. Male, 28.."

Shavi (taken for less than 1 month) March 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Flomax (tamsulosin): "I have surgery during which I was put to sleep had A 14 mm kidney stone removed from the bottom of one of my two left ureter's ( I was born with for ureters completely duplicated all the way down to the insertion of my Bladder ),I have swelling of both left ureters on my left side and the massive 1.4 x 1.2 cm stone was stuck in a (non congenital) ureterocele at the uvj at entrance to my bladder. Stone was broken up by laser removed and a stent placed in ureter from kidney to uvj. I was discharged from the hospital five hours after waking up from anesthesia key in a prescription for tamsulosin hcl (Flomax) 0.4mg(take 1 capsule daily (qty.30). phenazopyridine 200 mg , take 1 tab 1 to 2 times daily(qty 30). Cipro500 mg twice a day(qty6"

Elisejtolbert March 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Flomax (tamsulosin): "I am a frequent flyer when it comes to bladder stones and kidney stones. I am a female. This last time I went in because it wasn't moving. Cat scan revealed a 11 mm stone. They went in with a scope and laser to blast it but as soon as they tried to open up my ureter with the balloon they realized too late it was as full of strictures and one split open. So they quickly inserted a J stent, left the stone there and pulled out. Now I am 4 weeks out waiting for my ureter to heal before my urologist decides what it needs to be done. During this time I have been on flomax and it has helped with the flow of my urine and helps the pain. I am hoping that somehow the large stone has broken up and "left the building" lol side effects minimal."

Stone master February 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Flomax (tamsulosin): "Experienced sudden severe pain in left abdomen & back a week ago. An ultrasound at the Gastroenterologist (yeah, I went to one..) singled out the culprit as a 5mm stone in left ureter close to VUJ. I consulted a urologist a day after & he prescribed Tamsulosin (Flomax) 0.4mg each day in the night after meal. I used it for three days and got a CT KUB done since my pain wan't coming down much. - The CT KUB showed the stone intact at the same position (VUJ), The doctor suggested Laser Lithotripsy after two days. My pain stopped from that night & to check if stone got into bladder I went to a nearby diagnostic center & got another ultrasound scan done, the 5mm stone is gone!"

Mappa January 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Hi Im a 53 year old female, have a kidney stone left side, never had one before! Was in terrible pain 2 nights in a row, vomiting and sweats also, went to doctors, had ultra sound and xray. Stone has left kidney is in top part its 5.3mm. Doctor has prescribed Tamsulosin Sandor. Just about to start it now. Feeling scared... have read some comments on here and feel a little at ease. My stone seems quite big and im terrified of THAT pain again."

hopefuljewels January 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Flomax (tamsulosin): "Had severe kidney stones from 2002 to 2005. Moved to a cooler climate (Newfoundland, Canada) and the stones stopped being produced from May to September. Now - 2016 - I've been suffering with very painful stone stuck high in ureter since early July. It is now late November and my new GP has just prescribed FLOMAX .4mg to try to relax my right ureter so the stone will pass. CT scan says it is only 1 mm, so GP doesn't want to send me to a Urologist - yet. Just took first pill while reading this web site. Everyone's comments so very helpful. THANK YOU! While the stone is very small, it is amazingly painful causing nausea and screaming pain when it starts up again. Am also drinking beer which is supposed to help. Good luck to others."

Nellie's Mom November 23, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Age 49. Urgent peeing and rectum pressure resulted in Doctor diagnosis of prostatitis and two weeks worth of Cipro. Nine days in, all went to hell: Back and side flank agony; intense urge to pee but not be able to void. WORST PAIN EVER. Ct scan revealed less than 2mm stone. Long story short: Sent home to drink lots of water, and given 4 days of pain killers and anti-inflammatories (Dilaudid and Voltaren suppository), which only eased the pain, and not always. Got Tamsulosin from new M.D. 2 Dosages later: 4 stones painlessly passed!!! (along with some dark urine and blood clots). Tamsulosin works, end of discussion. I will keep some with me for any future episode. I just wish emergency would have started me right away on it. Ask for it."

Stones 67 (taken for less than 1 month) November 12, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Flomax (tamsulosin): "You all are going to think I'm crazy or a genius but either way I'm relieved. I've been in excruciating pain for months & my doctors were thinking it was from a herniated disc but my gut instinct told me it was something else. Although the disc is painful I know it's stones, I had all the symptoms. I don't have a mm or cm to share because they never sent me for CS. I was an in home health aide and the patient I cared for passed away & he had Flomax, I had a feeling I would need them someday. I was at the doctors office today in tears crying & honestly just couldn't bear it anymore. He handed me a tissue and gave me a referral to a pain management clinic. I did research on stones took Flomax & in 2 hours passed it & no more pain. Praise God!"

Unheard Of (taken for less than 1 month) October 4, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Flomax (tamsulosin): "Female age 35 with history of kidney stones. Went to ER for kidney stone pain on a Friday, was given a shot of Flomax and a prescription to take daily. Saw urologist and received CAT scan on Monday - one 5mm kidney stone in ureter and two more (one in each kidney) to come. On day six of Flomax and going to stop taking it - feeling very dizzy, nauseous, tired with chills/low fever at night. Still haven't passed the stone but can't take these side affects. Doctor said I can go back on Flomax anytime if my kidney stone pain comes back and I need it to help pass this stone."

Female35 (taken for less than 1 month) June 15, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Flomax (tamsulosin): "I've passed several stones, this was one of the worst and the first time flomax was prescribed. I have never had such ease passing a stone before and would highly recommend this for anyone suffering from a stone."

Bellerose (taken for less than 1 month) March 29, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Flomax (tamsulosin): "I went to emergency 7 days ago with kidney pain. I had stone in both kidneys. 5mm to right, 3 mm to left. Two doctors talked to me one was experienced & other was & fresh graduate. They told me I am going through surgery. I am self employed I had bad experience with fresh grad doctor 2 years ago. He operated me for lithotripsy & put a stent in me. Stent was not placed properly & I know how I spent 2 weeks with stent. Now I refused to become their practice animal. They prescribed me flomax 0.4mg for 7 days. I passed small stone within 5 days next two days I passed second stone. Only discomfort was shortness in breath, a little bleeding from nose & frequent urge to pee. I continue my business in this duration. Thanks flomax."

Mian sb (taken for less than 1 month) March 28, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Flomax (tamsulosin): "felt the familiar symptoms of a stone. doctor said it was 4 mm. gave me flowmax. I had symptoms of the stone for about 3 days. Took one flowmax pill, and within 8 hours the stone passed. My past experience was to have two stones stick and require surgery. Was it the flowmax, or would it have passed on its own? Who knows....for now I am a believer!"

spud1000 March 24, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Flomax (tamsulosin): "I have frequent kidney stones and for awhile was at a lose on how to deal with them. Eventually, after several horrible hospital trips, my primary doctor prescribed me Flomax and told me to take one a day during an attack. Flomax has been an absolute life saver for me. Within an hour, my pain subsides and I am normally able to pass the stone that same day. I carry Flomax with me everywhere now. It has helped reduce the anxiety I had about when my next kidney stone would occur because I know I have a pill that really works."

Lyndsayxo (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 16, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Flomax (tamsulosin): "I had a kidney stone 2 millimeters for two weeks I just find out about Flomax I took one pill and 5 hours later the stone was out I recommend this to everyone who have a kidney stone that really works Flomax really works"

gigi101 March 14, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Had 3mm stone for a month. Went to ER twice, the second time morphine was not effective that is when doctor prescribed this medication at that point I was unable to pass urine but felt the extreme need to go. Doctor indicated I also had mild bladder infection due to inability to pass urine. Took this medication for two weeks and an hour or so after each daily dose was able to urinate which was a joy I had taken for granted. Stone passed at the end of two weeks... never felt it but pain has been gone for weeks. Drink lots of lemon water and pray kids I know its tough but I never had any side effects with this drug and would recommend it."

California Barbie March 13, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Flomax (tamsulosin): "Had severe pain in right side went to ER They gave me pain med and did a CT scan found A 3mm stone sent me home feeling real good I took a anti nausea med Flomax and pain meds for pain. I took on a lot of water felt pain from time to time as stone traveled 5th day had a good amount of discomfort in groin area while in shower after had pain peed a little pushed hard with muscles in abdomen nothing came down. Took more Meds got up peed it out after a couple hours. Flomax made me pee hard but no bad side affects"

Sweet machinist March 7, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Flomax (tamsulosin): "Diagnosed with 5 mm stone in October. Dull ache in lower back and pink urine. Given flomax and started drinking 1.5 gallons of water a day. In February to ER with extreme pain - could not stand or sit - pain felt like a spasm that started mildly in my lower left abdomen and then grew to the point of extreme (10/10) from my abdomen down to my feet. CT showed stone had moved just slightly to the outflow of my kidney. Had procedure to remove it with ureteral stent placement afterwards. If flomax did anything, I am not aware of it."

TD1960 February 25, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Female aged 59 in Europe. Kidney stone (5mm) moved to ureter (just outside bladder) 6 weeks ago. Been on tamsulosine (Flomax in US) for 5 weeks. Stone not moved. Ureteroscopy scheduled for next week. Horrible side effects (fatigue, dizzy, stuffy nose, headache/sinus pain, minor nose bleeds, minor breathlessness) but continue to use in hope it might move before surgery."

thskohb February 19, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Flomax (tamsulosin): "Six weeks postpartum of having my baby I started experiencing UTI symptoms. After two rounds of antibiotics, ruling out appendicitis, the dr. concluded it must be a kidney stone. Told me to drink lots of water. For a month I experienced dull pain, extreme pain, to no pain. Finally I had excruciating pain. My hubby drove me to the hospital. Went to the Outpatient building (to avoid ER cost). Got CT scan and KUB scan. The urologist fit us in that day to look over. I had a 7mm stone that had reached my ureter. She prescribed Flomax. After 1 dose and 9 hours later, I passed the stone. Didn't even feel it pass! Woke up next morning and didnt feel pain. Went back to Outpatient for KUB scan and showed no stone! Only symptoms were dizziness."

HME February 5, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"After 3 weeks of pain from a kidney stone the doctor prescribed flomax. Took one tablet and passed it in an hour. Could not believe it. Brilliant stuff."

Mk72 January 23, 2016