User Reviews for Tamsulosin

Also known as: Flomax

Tamsulosin Rating Summary

7.8/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 23 medications used in the treatment of Urinary Tract Stones.

Reviews for Tamsulosin to treat Urinary Tract Stones

Flomax (tamsulosin): "After being diagnosed with a 6mm stone that was in the "funnel" of my right kidney, I was given Flomax. I took it for 8 days before I was scheduled for lithotrispy. I felt nothing unusual ever although my urine stopped having blood in it. When I went for the litho, they could not locate the stone. I had passed it and did not know it! It worked so well for me that I think everyone should ask about this if you have a kidney stone. It's a lot less traumatic than lithotripsy and a stent. I rated 9/10 because it did give me a headache."

Miss Stewart (taken for less than 1 month) April 27, 2018

Flomax (tamsulosin): "Last week I was diagnosed with my first kidney stone. 3 1/2mm. My doctor prescribed me toradol and buscapan (worked great for pain for me). He also mentioned flomax, and when I told him I had read about it online for helping kidney stones, he decided to let me give it a try. He told me it would drop my blood pressure so to take it at bedtime. Honestly at first I was nervous taking it (because its meant for men and I'm a women), so I didn't take it right away. After 7 days of not seeing much luck passing the stone, I decided to try a flomax! The first day I had a lot of sediment in my pee. (Side note: being female, I think once the stone got in my bladder, I felt like I had a UTI, like a pinching burning feeling at the end of my pee). Anyways I was so impressed with all the pieces I was passing I decided to try it again the next night. That night I woke up and I'm sure I passed it because all my symptoms went away the next morning and I felt great. Very impressed would recommend!"

Owl March 10, 2018

"I was prescribed this medicine yesterday. I have 4 to 5 mm renal calculi in both kidney. I took my first dose at 9 PM at night and slept around 11 PM. I felt urge to go to the washroom at 4.30 AM. In washroom I fell down, got up and again fell down. As if I did not have control on my body. I sat for some time and as I stood up fell for the third time. With some difficulty I reached my bed .Not taking it any more . Going to ask to prescribe me something else ."

Taj (taken for less than 1 month) March 4, 2018

"I have urinary retention and take Flomax at night to avoid the dizziness. But unfortunately, the first night I took it I still had sinus congestion. I have severe breathing problems so of course not being able to breath out of my nose caused major anxiety. The next day I flushed my sinuses out with NeilMed Sinus Rinse, waited 15-20 min, then used Flonase (steroid nasal spray). I use the sinus rinse daily (all natural ingredients makes it safe for daily use) when I wake up to remove the mucus, I take my HOT shower, then use one spray of Flonase in each nostril. Before going to bed I take the Flomax pill, lightly blow my nose, then use Flonase (one spray in each nostril). I have to add that YOU HAVE TO USE STERILIZED OR DISTILLED WATER TO MIX THE PRE-PACKAGED SALINE SOLUTION IN THE SINUS RINSE KIT!!!! I take the HOT shower after the sinus rinse so the steam will help with the slight congestion. It would also be a good idea to use a humidifier during the night to put moisture in the air, if needed."

Shawny Boo (taken for less than 1 month) March 3, 2018

Flomax (tamsulosin): "I was prescribed this in the ER after a kidney stone. I passed it but still took the meds to prevent further pain. After 3 days on it I won’t take anymore. Horrible indigestion which nothing helped. So bad I had to force dinner back up just so I could sleep. Also resulted in no ejaculate. Which is a very minor side effect but thought I would share. The indigestion and diarrhea made me commit to getting this medication out of my system as soon as possible."

Itsjustme223 (taken for less than 1 month) November 11, 2017

"I wasn't sure how to rate this drug, since there were pros and cons. I took it just one night because the next morning, for hours, I was greatly dizzy, weak, shaky, and my heart was pounding rapidly, even when resting. My flank pain was much better that day, though. However, I will not be taking it again because of the side effects."

Being patient October 20, 2017

"I already knew I had a couple kidney stones in my right kidney. Went to the ER with severe pain in my lower right abdomen. They did a CT scan, and found a six mm stone stuck in my ureter. Dr prescribed Flomax for seven days. On day four and still nothing has passed. The only thing this medication does is make me urinate more frequently and uncomfortable cramping in my pelvic region. Frustrated and discouraged because from what I've read other people have had great results. Me, not so much. I have three more days of the medication left and if it doesn't work, to the urologist I go."

karmacat 2000 (taken for less than 1 month) September 26, 2017

"I was given this medication along with a antibiotc to treat a UTI caused by a kidney stone. I experienced a lot of muscle weakness and fatigue and missed work because of it. I won't finish this medication. I also experienced some dizziness and what felt like heart palpitations. I only took it once."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) September 1, 2017

"I took the drug for two days and ended up with heart palpitations, racing heart, dizziness, and passing out for 8-9 days after stopping the medication. I was not able to drive for 5-6 days after stopping the medication due to the dizziness and being on the verge of passing out. After that time, I was able to drive to work but had to pull over to the side of the road when I felt my head spinning. I went to the emergency room on day two and was put on a heart monitor. Even laying down resting, my heart was pounding through my chest; nothing could calm it down except for time. Time for my body to purge the poison."

NotWorthTheRisk (taken for less than 1 month) August 29, 2017

Flomax (tamsulosin): "I've had multiple kidneys stones over the years and this was the first time I've used Flomax. It seems to relieve the pain at least 40%."

Jason Gallaher August 26, 2017

Flomax (tamsulosin): "I have Medullary Sponge Kidney Disease and pass around 100 stones each year. I recently used Flomax to help me pass 4 & 5 mm stones that were in my bladder for 2-1/2 weeks and causing horrific bladder spasms. There were many times that I screamed and cried as I urinated. I was on strong pain medicine, but it didn't touch the bladder pain at all. I began taking Flomax and while the spasms didn't stop, the pain was more tolerable, and I passed my stones, 3 stones at once (2, 5, & 6 mm). I have trouble swallowing pills and capsules, and I wish Flomax came in a chewable or liquid. Otherwise, it works well with few side effects--only some mild dizziness. I take it as needed. My insurance refuses to cover it because I'm a woman."

MSK Mom (taken for 10 years or more) August 20, 2017

"Flo max is a complete game changer in terms of handling a kidney stone at home and opting out of the emergency room visit ! Once the Flo max starts working, you likely have ended your medical emergency just that fast ( 5 minutes or less ) ! Flo max allows the urine to get past the stone which means your crisis has been defused so why does the Hospital run additional tests when technically you don't even belong in the emergency room once Flo max is doing its job ?"

Splinter- Ouch (taken for less than 1 month) August 16, 2017

Flomax (tamsulosin): "I have hurt for the last 3 weeks really bad. I hurt so bad. I have taken 3 antibiotics the last 3 weeks. I finally decided it was enough and went to my Urologist. I was in so much pain. I was in tears. It was nonstop pain. My urologist told me that I had a stone or stones. My urologist prescribed me a pain med and Flomax. I thought Flomax was just for men. I looked it up and found out that it is used for kidney stones. I have taken Flomax once a day since Thursday and now I have no pain. I feel I passed the stone early this morning or it moved somewhere else. I am not hurting. I am so glad. I don't even know how to act, because I have been in so much pain for so long. I am set up for a CAT scan on Monday."

Luvrofmusik July 23, 2017

Flomax (tamsulosin): "Flomax definitely worked for me. I just passed a series of six (6) 5mm kidney stones while using the bathroom. This was the third day (thus third dose) I had taken. In the past it's taken me weeks to pass just one 5mm stone. Side effects I experienced were a bit of muscle cramps/tensions in my legs and a numb feeling on the tip of my tongue. Not sure if that was the Flomax, the Oxy, or the Naproxen, or the large amounts of citrus fruits I ate/drank (lemon water and oranges) in an attempt to dissolve the stones. Either way Flomax helped me within 3 days. I am healed, thank God. Also just for reference I am a healthy (although overweight) 22y/o female and the stones were my only medical issue."

Marlaya (taken for less than 1 month) July 22, 2017

Flomax (tamsulosin): "40 YO Female just passed a 6mm stone that caused 3 weeks of renal colic followed by 2 months of being stuck in my bladder. CT showed it just outside my urethera. Urologist said surgery. I asked Google. This is where I came across info that indicated flomax could help though not FDA approved for use in women. I figured if the stone had already made it thru the kidney and ureter to the bladder it was certainly possible for it to travel just an inch further. So asked the Dr if I could try flomax before rushing into surgery and she agreed it couldn't hurt. Well it did hurt but only briefly in comparison to the entire episode. 2 pills (2 nights) and my 6 mm stone just kinda fell out. Long 3 month story short, I <3 Flowmax!"

I<3Flomax (taken for less than 1 month) June 18, 2017

Flomax (tamsulosin): "Really I’m interested on your post! Please post more article about Kidney stone Thanks a lot, Hamid "

sangekolye.com June 11, 2017

"I was diagnosed with kidney stones (four in left kidney; 3 in right kidney). All are approximately 4 mm. One was ready to go down the ureter and was causing me pain and uncomfortable feeling (like a UTI) for 10 days. Plus months of mid-back pain. I took one dose of Tamsulosin and passed the stone the next morning without any pain at all! I was so shocked! I thought at first that the stone was part of a granola bar that I had eaten a few hours earlier. But it was hard, so I had lab test it (Calcium Oxalate). I still have six more stones to pass. I won't take the Tamsulosin until I have the pain again. I felt a little off for a few days after taking the one dose. But absolutely worth it!"

Suzyinthewest June 5, 2017

"been taking this med for over one year now originally my doctor prescribed it for Kidney stones which now helps with my prostrate and bladder issues allowing me to have a normal urine flow. Also at one time noticed within a day or two of not taking the med began having a urine flow issue with a noticeable shrinkage in the penis while attempting to urinate. Once back on the medication all issues seem to return back to normal. I take the med in the mornings with all my other medications and supplements and do not experience any side effects by doing that."

Pdybravo (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 7, 2017

Flomax (tamsulosin): "It was the first kidney stone I had. Can't say it really helped. I was only supposed to take 2 weeks worth. I was pretty sure I passed stone but doc wanted me to take full dose. Halfway through 2nd week, I wet the bed. I stopped taking them then."

BostonTerrier Mom (taken for less than 1 month) April 10, 2017

"Thanks to all for sharing experiences. 20days back I was diagnosed with kidney stone. This will be my second case in the last 3 years. Initially they opted for an ultrasound to check the size, but couldn't find it. A CT scan last week revealed a "5mm nonobstructing caculus" in the right ureter. The pain wasn't much but seeing blood a few days later while under medication got me worried. I have been given Tamasulosin 0.4mg today. Will start taking it by night, as the doc said it may cause a slight drop in blood pressure so make sure you're in a controlled and safe place. Hope it the stone pops out early. I'm not a fan of drugs of any sorts. Male, 28.."

Shavi (taken for less than 1 month) March 19, 2017

Flomax (tamsulosin): "I have surgery during which I was put to sleep had A 14 mm kidney stone removed from the bottom of one of my two left ureter's ( I was born with for ureters completely duplicated all the way down to the insertion of my Bladder ),I have swelling of both left ureters on my left side and the massive 1.4 x 1.2 cm stone was stuck in a (non congenital) ureterocele at the uvj at entrance to my bladder. Stone was broken up by laser removed and a stent placed in ureter from kidney to uvj. I was discharged from the hospital five hours after waking up from anesthesia key in a prescription for tamsulosin hcl (Flomax) 0.4mg(take 1 capsule daily (qty.30). phenazopyridine 200 mg , take 1 tab 1 to 2 times daily(qty 30). Cipro500 mg twice a day(qty6"

Elisejtolbert March 1, 2017

Flomax (tamsulosin): "I am a frequent flyer when it comes to bladder stones and kidney stones. I am a female. This last time I went in because it wasn't moving. Cat scan revealed a 11 mm stone. They went in with a scope and laser to blast it but as soon as they tried to open up my ureter with the balloon they realized too late it was as full of strictures and one split open. So they quickly inserted a J stent, left the stone there and pulled out. Now I am 4 weeks out waiting for my ureter to heal before my urologist decides what it needs to be done. During this time I have been on flomax and it has helped with the flow of my urine and helps the pain. I am hoping that somehow the large stone has broken up and "left the building" lol side effects minimal."

Stone master February 19, 2017

Flomax (tamsulosin): "Experienced sudden severe pain in left abdomen & back a week ago. An ultrasound at the Gastroenterologist (yeah, I went to one..) singled out the culprit as a 5mm stone in left ureter close to VUJ. I consulted a urologist a day after & he prescribed Tamsulosin (Flomax) 0.4mg each day in the night after meal. I used it for three days and got a CT KUB done since my pain wan't coming down much. - The CT KUB showed the stone intact at the same position (VUJ), The doctor suggested Laser Lithotripsy after two days. My pain stopped from that night & to check if stone got into bladder I went to a nearby diagnostic center & got another ultrasound scan done, the 5mm stone is gone!"

Mappa January 12, 2017

"Hi Im a 53 year old female, have a kidney stone left side, never had one before! Was in terrible pain 2 nights in a row, vomiting and sweats also, went to doctors, had ultra sound and xray. Stone has left kidney is in top part its 5.3mm. Doctor has prescribed Tamsulosin Sandor. Just about to start it now. Feeling scared... have read some comments on here and feel a little at ease. My stone seems quite big and im terrified of THAT pain again."

hopefuljewels January 5, 2017

Flomax (tamsulosin): "Had severe kidney stones from 2002 to 2005. Moved to a cooler climate (Newfoundland, Canada) and the stones stopped being produced from May to September. Now - 2016 - I've been suffering with very painful stone stuck high in ureter since early July. It is now late November and my new GP has just prescribed FLOMAX .4mg to try to relax my right ureter so the stone will pass. CT scan says it is only 1 mm, so GP doesn't want to send me to a Urologist - yet. Just took first pill while reading this web site. Everyone's comments so very helpful. THANK YOU! While the stone is very small, it is amazingly painful causing nausea and screaming pain when it starts up again. Am also drinking beer which is supposed to help. Good luck to others."

Nellie's Mom November 23, 2016