User Reviews for Tamsulosin to treat Urinary Tract Stones

Also known as: Flomax

Tamsulosin Rating Summary

7.5/10 Average Rating

Compare all 19 medications used in the treatment of Urinary Tract Stones.

Reviews for Tamsulosin

Bethany · Taken for 2 to 5 years September 4, 2020

Flomax (tamsulosin): “The side effects that people are talking about they think are from Flomax-they need to consider whether that what they think are side effects from Flomax may have been from the kidney stone because severe pain can cause those symptoms. I’m on Flomax on a regular basis for bladder problems (Flomax is a common medication used in MS to help with bladder problems) and I have never had any side effects from it. When I had two kidney stones that were severely painful it did not take me as long to pass them as it normally takes to pass a kidney stone so please do not blame side effects on Flomax automatically. I am so thankful I was on that drug when I had the kidney stones. Because as painful as they were I passed them quicker than I normally would. Like I said I have never had any side effects from Flomax and have taken it every day for years.”

Luka · Taken for less than 1 month September 4, 2020

Flomax (tamsulosin): “Ended up in the ER with first bout of pain and CT showed 26 stones one of which (5mm) was in the ureter and causing an obstruction. Was sent home with conservative management. Few days later went back with immense pain. Was given the option of surgery or continuing to wait to see if will pass on its own. Was prescribed Flomax and pain meds. Took Flomax at 6pm and at 10pm had passed the stone!”

pahul · Taken for less than 1 month August 27, 2020

“I woke up at Tuesday night with an excruciating pain in my right side of back and abdomen rushed to ER can't sleep whole night .They gave me Tamsulosin to help with the kidney stones and a pain reliever to help me sleep and in 2 days later I passed out 6mm stone (right now). Feel so happy!!”

Jules · Taken for less than 1 month August 19, 2020

“Took Tamsulosin for less than a week for kidney stones. Really messed up my sexual desire, couldn't get an erection of any kind and retrograde ejaculation. Stopped for 2.5 months and still difficult to get an erection and still getting retrograde ejaculation. Can anyone please tell me if things get back to normal in time as I was planning to start a family”

GW · Taken for less than 1 month July 6, 2020

Flomax (tamsulosin): “I am using tamsulosin (Flomax) to aid in passing kidney stone fragments following shock wave lithotripsy. The medication has been successful in relaxing the bladder neck muscle and prostate to allow the stone fragments to pass. However, men should note the possible sexual side effects. I have experienced retrograde ejaculation. The relaxed muscles allow the seminal fluid to flow backward into the bladder. There are no forceful involuntary muscle contractions and no pleasurable fluid release from the penis. I experience a few weak pulses and a few drops of semen ooze out. I've felt no discomfort when seminal fluid flows into the bladder, just a feeling of fullness that is relieved later during urination. Overall, sexual satisfaction is diminished by 50%. No issues with maintaining a firm erection, responding to stimulation or feeling the initial stage of orgasm, but without the physical relief of expelling seminal fluid from my body I feel frustrated at the end of sexual activity.”

Mr G · Taken for less than 1 month May 21, 2020

“Was given antibiotics for a UTI didn't improve so was put on this tamsulosin as Doctor thought it was urinary stones. I've been on it 4 days thought I was dying nearly passed out I'm 53 spent 28 years in the Army always been fit taken plenty of medication over the years. I'm not taking another one of these tablets may work for some but there's too many bad experiences on this medication ...Its AWFUL”

Allie · Taken for less than 1 month May 4, 2020

“Everyone seems to have had good results reading these reviews. I am 56 years old and have had kidney stones on and off since I was 24. Looking at most of these reviews people are talking about 4, 5, 6 mm stones. This particular one at the moment is 13 - 15mm. I query that Tamulosin is really going to work?”

yamafx4dude · Taken for less than 1 month May 3, 2020

Flomax (tamsulosin): “Prescribed Flomax for a possible kidney stone. Took around 6pm. Didn't notice much, became a bit drowsy, pain seem to be better but remained a bit. Around midnight when trying to sleep is when the terror started. Couldn't seem to sleep but when I finally started to doze off I suddenly awoke with a full blown panic attack. Hard to breathe, racing heart, room spinning, going in and out of consciousness while on the phone with 911. Ems showed up and stuck around a while. I decided to stay home and try and sleep again. Again, same thing happened. Right before falling asleep panic attack again but this time less severe. By now it's 5am. I decided to try to sleep once more. If not, I was going to the ER. I somehow got about 2 hours of sleep woke up with a massive headache. After taking some pain killers, I managed to dose off and by noon the nightmare was over. I do NOT recommend this medication!!!”

Kat · Taken for less than 1 month March 9, 2020

“I have just been prescribed Tamsulosin for kidney stones. Multiple in both kidneys, mostly small ones, but the right side also has one of 6mm. I am on my fourth day of taking one at night. So far all I am experiencing is excruciating pain in my right side. Can anyone tell me if this is to be expected please.”

Harvey · Taken for less than 1 month February 20, 2020

Flomax (tamsulosin): “I also was prescribed flomax, and had same experience of passing out when I got up during the night after just one capsule. Had an anxiety attack and went to hospital. My urine was already brown. Hospital told me that was toxicity, and also that I passed out because of an extreme blood pressure drop, caused by the medication. I will not be taking this medication again, and I am also female.”

Ledroc · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 2, 2020

Flomax (tamsulosin): “Was diagnosed with 5 kidney stones 3 on one side and 2 on the other in September of 2018. I had one blasted and two were very small and they passed quite quickly. The other two remaining were one in the left and one in the right. Doctor prescribed Flomax to help pass as they were large. One passed about 3 months after discovering it. It was approx 6mm in size. The other one went from my kidney to my bladder in October 2019. I passed that stone today (Feb 1, 2020) and it’s approx 10 mm. I’m lucky that passed and flomax I am sure helped to be able to pass a stone that size.”

solemnd · Taken for less than 1 month January 31, 2020

Flomax (tamsulosin): “I am a 54yr old, active but overweight male. After 12 days on Flomax I passed a 0.6mm stone pain and incident free. About two weeks before starting the Flomax I presented to ED in extreme pain after a few hours of discomfort and nausea. I took an anti nausea drug followed by 12.5mg of Endone which calmed me down enough for some sleep. For the next week I took Ibuprofen to deal with discomfort I was having and after 10 days a CT scan showed the above stone had made its way to the entrance of the bladder. At this point, I stopped feeling discomfort. I began taking a daily tablet of 400mcg and experienced very few side effects (a little tiredness). On the morning of the 12th day, after only the slightest sensation of ‘progress’ I heard a tinkle in the toilet bowl and sure enough there was the stone. I have sent it off to pathology but no word back yet.”

Joanie · Taken for less than 1 month January 30, 2020

Flomax (tamsulosin): “I took one for the first time before bedtime hoping for it to help pass a large stone. I got up to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night and the room starting spinning. I came back into my bedroom and either fell on the floor or fainted resulting in a fractured toe and rib. Once I got up I experienced chills throughout the night. I'm not taking them anymore - no wonder the FDA hasn't approved them for women.”

paintrrena January 25, 2020

Flomax (tamsulosin): “Went to the ER with severe pain in right side. Diagnosed with a 4mm stone and given Flomax and pain meds. I am a 57 yr old woman. Took Flomax for 5 days. Began to have very painful breasts and pain in my other kidney. Also shooting pain in my hips and legs. Almost as if I was having my period even though that ended for me long ago. Would not take Flomax again. Has taken two weeks to start feeling normal again. I did pass the stone but the side effects were too scary.”

JT · Taken for less than 1 month January 21, 2020

Flomax (tamsulosin): “I noticed my urine was kind of a brownish color but I felt normal. Then if I drank any caffeine my urine got very dark and I could see some blood. So made and appt to see my doctor. He took some urine and drew some blood. Results came back and said yes I had blood in my urine but kidneys were functioning normal so he was going to make and appt for me to get a CT Scan but when I woke up the next day my side was killing me. Went to the ER did a CT Scan said I had a 6 mm stone between my kidney and my bladder. So he gave me some pain meds and Flomax and the following morning my stone was falling apart as when I peed they would look like little pieces of sand. Also noticed no dribbling when I'm done peeing. I'm 56 and been on Flomax for 3 days the only side effect I've noticed is some pain in the right side of my back when sitting to long. Other than that it works great.”

BearZ January 17, 2020

Flomax (tamsulosin): “I am a 56 yr old woman. Went to the ER with severe pain in my right side. Diagnosed with a 4mm stone and given Flomax . After taking it for 4 days, my stone had moved along. However, I had an aching pressure in my vagina area. Much like having my period. I have been through menopause many years ago so this was strange. I had to take a pain pill for it. Pretty intense. The next morning my breasts were sore. I stopped taking Flomax. Was not made aware it wasn't approved for women. This effect should be studied before prescribing. Hope it goes away after disuse.”

BV123 · Taken for less than 1 month January 3, 2020

Flomax (tamsulosin): “Had pink urine and slight discomfort for 2 days figured it was a possible kidney stone issue. At end of 2 days of pink urine I went to ER as pain was rising and more yet on the drive. At ER they gave me a weak pain med and 1 dose Flomax before any CT scan. Shortly after taking Flomax I had extreme pain in lower right abdomen. Was given stronger pain med and told it would work in 15 minutes. It did 13 minutes later. Pain was gone. Then they got me in for CT scans one without contrast, the 2nd with contrast. 2nd was best, no stones found but a constriction in ureter along with bulge in ureter at kidney. Dr would not say I passed a stone. But I'm pretty sure I did. Will be going to Urologist for followup.”

birdy · Taken for less than 1 month December 29, 2019

Flomax (tamsulosin): “Had two kidney tones last year. Both times no movement of stone until I took one Flomax. Both times within an hour of the one dose the stone passed. Very happy with results.”

3M November 27, 2019

Flomax (tamsulosin): “Flomax makes it easier to pass stones, makes it more tolerable, too. But how do you get the stone to start moving when it doesn't choose to do so on its own and is sitting there just waiting? My experience is based on passing two 4mm stones and a couple of smaller ones, it may not work with larger stones. In my experience walking out in the cold air helps with moving the stone. Dress warmly to avoid catching a cold but let the cold creep up into your body from the feet. Drink lots of water beforehand with some lemon juice in it, take your Flomax, and walk in the cold air. You can practically feel the movement and pain of the stone soon after. Just have your pain med handy and repeat this several times a day. I do not know if this really works or if it was just a coincidence in my case that I walked in cold whether several times before seeing my stone pass; a spurious correlation perhaps. But, if this is a real effect, it may have something to do with cold-induced diuresis.”

Stoneage November 23, 2019

Flomax (tamsulosin): “I’m a female who creates about three dozen kidney stones a year. I usually have a Lithotripsy procedure every year because they grow big. Every once in a while a stone is small enough to make it out. When I have pain, I take Flomax, until the stone is through. The worst side effect is leaking if I cough or sneeze, so I only stay on it for a short period of time. It’s a lifesaver!”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month November 6, 2019

“67 year old woman with 4 mm kidney stone. Went to ER, where they gave me first dose of Tamsulosin. Took it five times, and kidney stone passed shortly before I was to take it tonight for the sixth time. Slight postural hypotension, which started after first day, and moderately stuffy nose which started after two doses. I found it helpful, and those side effects minor.”

Rick November 5, 2019

“Had little white bumps under foreskin since a teenager and there was an unpleasant odour. 2 weeks on tamsulosin that my doc gave me for small urinations many trip to bathroom and the smegma is completely gone and no odour at all. I was always self conscious about this. Happy that there was this side effect....you should look into more...do a study.”

Gemini Girl · Taken for less than 1 month October 27, 2019

Flomax (tamsulosin): “Went to ER with 5 mm kidney stone. Excruciating!! After 7 hours I finally stopped vomiting and then they were able to give me Flomax. I peed every 30 minutes like a river!!! 3 hours later I felt something strange and sure enough...the stone came out. This stuff works wonders!”

Lela · Taken for less than 1 month October 13, 2019

Flomax (tamsulosin): “So I went in to the ER on a Sunday, got a CT Scan done and found out I have a 6mm kidney stone. Worst pain ever, I must add. Few days later, on Wednesday I go to my doctors so he can refer me to Urologist, but also prescribes Flomax. Once a day, after dinner for 2 weeks. I take it Friday night and Saturday night. Sunday (today) at 12:30am (its 1:12am as we speak) I go pee and I while and feel something hard. I finish peeing and hear something fall to the ground, like a rock. I pick it up and I'm sure its the stone. This medication worked wonders!!!!! Just two times of taking it and it came out.”

ViksH · Taken for less than 1 month September 22, 2019

“I had pain on lower left abdominal in form of waves. It started in morning and kept on coming in every one hour. Had to go to ER and they said "I have stone in ureter of about 3 mm" and they prescribed flomax with some pain killers. After coming home I was still having the waves of pain in every one hour decided to go back to ER but friends suggested to take flomax and try to sleep. I took it after having some food and then slept. After 3-4 hours the stone passed and could see it.”

Learn more about Urinary Tract Stones