User Reviews for Tamsulosin to treat Urinary Tract Stones

Also known as: Flomax

Tamsulosin has an average rating of 7.1 out of 10 from a total of 147 ratings for the treatment of Urinary Tract Stones. 63% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 22% reported a negative effect.

Tamsulosin Rating Summary

7.1/10 average rating

Compare all 18 medications used in the treatment of Urinary Tract Stones.

Reviews for Tamsulosin

Luka · Taken for less than 1 month September 4, 2020

Flomax (tamsulosin): “Ended up in the ER with first bout of pain and CT showed 26 stones one of which (5mm) was in the ureter and causing an obstruction. Was sent home with conservative management. Few days later went back with immense pain. Was given the option of surgery or continuing to wait to see if will pass on its own. Was prescribed Flomax and pain meds. Took Flomax at 6pm and at 10pm had passed the stone!”

GW · Taken for less than 1 month July 6, 2020

Flomax (tamsulosin): “I am using tamsulosin (Flomax) to aid in passing kidney stone fragments following shock wave lithotripsy. The medication has been successful in relaxing the bladder neck muscle and prostate to allow the stone fragments to pass. However, men should note the possible sexual side effects. I have experienced retrograde ejaculation. The relaxed muscles allow the seminal fluid to flow backward into the bladder. There are no forceful involuntary muscle contractions and no pleasurable fluid release from the penis. I experience a few weak pulses and a few drops of semen ooze out. I've felt no discomfort when seminal fluid flows into the bladder, just a feeling of fullness that is relieved later during urination. Overall, sexual satisfaction is diminished by 50%. No issues with maintaining a firm erection, responding to stimulation or feeling the initial stage of orgasm, but without the physical relief of expelling seminal fluid from my body I feel frustrated at the end of sexual activity.”

Bethany · Taken for 2 to 5 years September 4, 2020

Flomax (tamsulosin): “The side effects that people are talking about they think are from Flomax-they need to consider whether that what they think are side effects from Flomax may have been from the kidney stone because severe pain can cause those symptoms. I’m on Flomax on a regular basis for bladder problems (Flomax is a common medication used in MS to help with bladder problems) and I have never had any side effects from it. When I had two kidney stones that were severely painful it did not take me as long to pass them as it normally takes to pass a kidney stone so please do not blame side effects on Flomax automatically. I am so thankful I was on that drug when I had the kidney stones. Because as painful as they were I passed them quicker than I normally would. Like I said I have never had any side effects from Flomax and have taken it every day for years.”

Harvey · Taken for less than 1 month February 20, 2020

Flomax (tamsulosin): “I also was prescribed flomax, and had same experience of passing out when I got up during the night after just one capsule. Had an anxiety attack and went to hospital. My urine was already brown. Hospital told me that was toxicity, and also that I passed out because of an extreme blood pressure drop, caused by the medication. I will not be taking this medication again, and I am also female.”

stonemaker · Taken for less than 1 month February 22, 2021

“I am genetically disposed to being a kidney stone maker - a few family members have it and we don't live together so it's not the diet LOL. Anyway, I am lucky enough that most stones passing do not cause me much problems. The occasional stone does however present difficulty, if it is bigger than 4.5mm, I have to take a flomax, usually only 2 or 3 days at a time, until stone has passed. I am a 51yo woman and have not experienced any side effects from the drug.”

Steve1218 August 8, 2014

Flomax (tamsulosin): “Had pain left side. Cat scan showed 6mm stone in ureter. Started Flomax twice daily and drank lots of water with lemon juice. Started Flomax on Monday night. Passed stone on Friday morning. No pain. Never needed Lortabs. I have had kidney stone surgery twice. To be able to pass a 6mm stone with no surgery and no pain is wonderful. $12 versus $30,000.”

yamafx4dude · Taken for less than 1 month May 3, 2020

Flomax (tamsulosin): “Prescribed Flomax for a possible kidney stone. Took around 6pm. Didn't notice much, became a bit drowsy, pain seem to be better but remained a bit. Around midnight when trying to sleep is when the terror started. Couldn't seem to sleep but when I finally started to doze off I suddenly awoke with a full blown panic attack. Hard to breathe, racing heart, room spinning, going in and out of consciousness while on the phone with 911. Ems showed up and stuck around a while. I decided to stay home and try and sleep again. Again, same thing happened. Right before falling asleep panic attack again but this time less severe. By now it's 5am. I decided to try to sleep once more. If not, I was going to the ER. I somehow got about 2 hours of sleep woke up with a massive headache. After taking some pain killers, I managed to dose off and by noon the nightmare was over. I do NOT recommend this medication!!!”

Eldar · Taken for 1 to 2 years July 10, 2014

Flomax (tamsulosin): “I get Kidney Stones on a near daily basis trying to pass. I've been in the hospital a total of 35 times in the last year. Each for Kidney Stone pain. After my third visit the doc gave me Flomax and it passed 5 stones all 3-5mm in size within 30 minutes of me taking it. Since then no other Doctor would give it to me because "I didn't need it". Well finally yesterday my doc agreed with me and wrote the prescription I passes a 8mm stone 30 mins after taking the Flomax. I HIGHLY recommended this to anyone who is suffering from a kidney stone. It reduces the pain and makes the passing a WHOLE lot easier.”

Relieved · Taken for less than 1 month June 16, 2019

Flomax (tamsulosin): “I tried to pass a 5.5 millimeter kidney stone for four days. Finally went for help. Two days of Flomax and the Stone was out. I felt nothing except a brief slice at the urethra opening as it exited. I am a woman, so the Flomax is prescribed off label. It did give me a bit of a headache, but nothing too bad. Not sure how that would have worked out with a longer run of Flomax. I’m very grateful my ER doctor prescribed it.”

JJ April 24, 2019

Flomax (tamsulosin): “I am a 42 year oold woman. I was prescribed flomax for kidney stones. Have been on this for almost 2 weeks but I just can't take the side effects anymore. My head and neck hurt so bad and it will NOT go away no matter what I do. I feel dizzy, weak and very "winded" it seems hard to catch my breath. I feel in a catch 22 bc it helps the urine flow, but I just feel so awful otherwise.... ???”

Hairdoo April 20, 2009

Flomax (tamsulosin): “I had a 4.8 mm stone that had been plaguing me for 3 weeks. I had been taking pain medicines off and on as needed and drinking plenty of water but I could tell (plenty of experience) that the stone was hung up just before entering the bladder in the narrowest part of the ureter. I called the urologist to ask for a prescription for Flomax. They were hesitant - didn't think I could pass it. Long story short, they prescribed, I took it, stone passed less than 24 hours later. Flomax pain medicines plenty of water = passing kidney stone quickly and inexpensively.”

Bush June 13, 2019

Flomax (tamsulosin): “I had flomax after I was diagnosed with kidney stone of 6mm in my right kidney . After a couple of visit to doctors and ER my Family physician prescribed flomax . My stone passed out after 1 tablet . I would highly recommend anyone with kidney stone . As I took just one and it worked I didn’t experience any side effects .”

Unheard Of · Taken for less than 1 month October 4, 2016

Flomax (tamsulosin): “You all are going to think I'm crazy or a genius but either way I'm relieved. I've been in excruciating pain for months & my doctors were thinking it was from a herniated disc but my gut instinct told me it was something else. Although the disc is painful I know it's stones, I had all the symptoms. I don't have a mm or cm to share because they never sent me for CS. I was an in home health aide and the patient I cared for passed away & he had Flomax, I had a feeling I would need them someday. I was at the doctors office today in tears crying & honestly just couldn't bear it anymore. He handed me a tissue and gave me a referral to a pain management clinic. I did research on stones took Flomax & in 2 hours passed it & no more pain. Praise God!”

Bellerose · Taken for less than 1 month March 29, 2016

Flomax (tamsulosin): “I've passed several stones, this was one of the worst and the first time flomax was prescribed. I have never had such ease passing a stone before and would highly recommend this for anyone suffering from a stone.”

Ledroc · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 2, 2020

Flomax (tamsulosin): “Was diagnosed with 5 kidney stones 3 on one side and 2 on the other in September of 2018. I had one blasted and two were very small and they passed quite quickly. The other two remaining were one in the left and one in the right. Doctor prescribed Flomax to help pass as they were large. One passed about 3 months after discovering it. It was approx 6mm in size. The other one went from my kidney to my bladder in October 2019. I passed that stone today (Feb 1, 2020) and it’s approx 10 mm. I’m lucky that passed and flomax I am sure helped to be able to pass a stone that size.”

Okereke Maggie October 14, 2014

Flomax (tamsulosin): “I will recommend Flomax to anyone with kidney stones..mine was a sharp intense pain on the left side of my back. I haven't had this kind of pain in my life. It's worse than child labour pain. Been battling with the pain until the urologist prescribed this medicine..in less than 2 weeks I passed it out with no pain.”

Carolelinda · Taken for less than 1 month October 2, 2014

Flomax (tamsulosin): “Suffer from uric acid stones on an average of every 4-6 months. Was given a prescription for Flomax last ER visit; filled it to keep on hand. Two days ago had an attack and decided to try the Flomax. Amazingly, the stone passed in an hour and a half instead of the next day!....This has never happened before and it really shortened the terrible pain which usually lasts many hours. I will definitely try this next time I have an attack, which I KNOW will happen again.”

Gemini Girl · Taken for less than 1 month October 27, 2019

Flomax (tamsulosin): “Went to ER with 5 mm kidney stone. Excruciating!! After 7 hours I finally stopped vomiting and then they were able to give me Flomax. I peed every 30 minutes like a river!!! 3 hours later I felt something strange and sure enough...the stone came out. This stuff works wonders!”

Mian sb · Taken for less than 1 month March 28, 2016

Flomax (tamsulosin): “I went to emergency 7 days ago with kidney pain. I had stone in both kidneys. 5mm to right, 3 mm to left. Two doctors talked to me one was experienced & other was & fresh graduate. They told me I am going through surgery. I am self employed I had bad experience with fresh grad doctor 2 years ago. He operated me for lithotripsy & put a stent in me. Stent was not placed properly & I know how I spent 2 weeks with stent. Now I refused to become their practice animal. They prescribed me flomax 0.4mg for 7 days. I passed small stone within 5 days next two days I passed second stone. Only discomfort was shortness in breath, a little bleeding from nose & frequent urge to pee. I continue my business in this duration. Thanks flomax.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 2, 2013

Flomax (tamsulosin): “Have been on it several times for stones. I actually request it from my doctor each time I have a problem stone. While it helps pass stones easily the dizziness is a major factor for myself. But I will continue to use it!”

paintrrena January 25, 2020

Flomax (tamsulosin): “Went to the ER with severe pain in right side. Diagnosed with a 4mm stone and given Flomax and pain meds. I am a 57 yr old woman. Took Flomax for 5 days. Began to have very painful breasts and pain in my other kidney. Also shooting pain in my hips and legs. Almost as if I was having my period even though that ended for me long ago. Would not take Flomax again. Has taken two weeks to start feeling normal again. I did pass the stone but the side effects were too scary.”

Joanie · Taken for less than 1 month January 30, 2020

Flomax (tamsulosin): “I took one for the first time before bedtime hoping for it to help pass a large stone. I got up to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night and the room starting spinning. I came back into my bedroom and either fell on the floor or fainted resulting in a fractured toe and rib. Once I got up I experienced chills throughout the night. I'm not taking them anymore - no wonder the FDA hasn't approved them for women.”

Lyndsayxo · Taken for 6 months to 1 year March 16, 2016

Flomax (tamsulosin): “I have frequent kidney stones and for awhile was at a lose on how to deal with them. Eventually, after several horrible hospital trips, my primary doctor prescribed me Flomax and told me to take one a day during an attack. Flomax has been an absolute life saver for me. Within an hour, my pain subsides and I am normally able to pass the stone that same day. I carry Flomax with me everywhere now. It has helped reduce the anxiety I had about when my next kidney stone would occur because I know I have a pill that really works.”

Anonymous March 17, 2012

Flomax (tamsulosin): “This seems like a miracle for pain from kidney stones in the ureter. The first stone that I tried it on had given me several quite significant bouts of pain and the 4-5 mm stone passed a couple days after starting with no additional pain. I have since used it on two other stones that turned out to be about 3 or 3-4 mm and have passed them with essentially no pain after starting Flomax. So, that is 3 stones passed with essentially no pain after taking the Flomax and a total of 6 pills of Flomax used. ”

I<3Flomax · Taken for less than 1 month June 18, 2017

Flomax (tamsulosin): “40 YO Female just passed a 6mm stone that caused 3 weeks of renal colic followed by 2 months of being stuck in my bladder. CT showed it just outside my urethera. Urologist said surgery. I asked Google. This is where I came across info that indicated flomax could help though not FDA approved for use in women. I figured if the stone had already made it thru the kidney and ureter to the bladder it was certainly possible for it to travel just an inch further. So asked the Dr if I could try flomax before rushing into surgery and she agreed it couldn't hurt. Well it did hurt but only briefly in comparison to the entire episode. 2 pills (2 nights) and my 6 mm stone just kinda fell out. Long 3 month story short, I <3 Flowmax!”

Learn more about Urinary Tract Stones