User Reviews for Tamsulosin

Also known as: Flomax

Learn more about Tamsulosin.

Tamsulosin Rating Summary

7.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 23 medications used in the treatment of Urinary Tract Stones.

Reviews for Tamsulosin to treat Urinary Tract Stones

"I was given this medication along with a antibiotc to treat a UTI caused by a kidney stone. I experienced a lot of muscle weakness and fatigue and missed work because of it. I won't finish this medication. I also experienced some dizziness and what felt like heart palpitations. I only took it once."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) September 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I took the drug for two days and ended up with heart palpitations, racing heart, dizziness, and passing out for 8-9 days after stopping the medication. I was not able to drive for 5-6 days after stopping the medication due to the dizziness and being on the verge of passing out. After that time, I was able to drive to work but had to pull over to the side of the road when I felt my head spinning. I went to the emergency room on day two and was put on a heart monitor. Even laying down resting, my heart was pounding through my chest; nothing could calm it down except for time. Time for my body to purge the poison."

NotWorthTheRisk (taken for less than 1 month) August 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Flomax (tamsulosin): "I've had multiple kidneys stones over the years and this was the first time I've used Flomax. It seems to relieve the pain at least 40%."

Jason Gallaher August 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Flomax (tamsulosin): "I have Medullary Sponge Kidney Disease and pass around 100 stones each year. I recently used Flomax to help me pass 4 & 5 mm stones that were in my bladder for 2-1/2 weeks and causing horrific bladder spasms. There were many times that I screamed and cried as I urinated. I was on strong pain medicine, but it didn't touch the bladder pain at all. I began taking Flomax and while the spasms didn't stop, the pain was more tolerable, and I passed my stones, 3 stones at once (2, 5, & 6 mm). I have trouble swallowing pills and capsules, and I wish Flomax came in a chewable or liquid. Otherwise, it works well with few side effects--only some mild dizziness. I take it as needed. My insurance refuses to cover it because I'm a woman."

MSK Mom (taken for 10 years or more) August 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Flo max is a complete game changer in terms of handling a kidney stone at home and opting out of the emergency room visit ! Once the Flo max starts working, you likely have ended your medical emergency just that fast ( 5 minutes or less ) ! Flo max allows the urine to get past the stone which means your crisis has been defused so why does the Hospital run additional tests when technically you don't even belong in the emergency room once Flo max is doing its job ?"

Splinter- Ouch (taken for less than 1 month) August 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Flomax (tamsulosin): "I have hurt for the last 3 weeks really bad. I hurt so bad. I have taken 3 antibiotics the last 3 weeks. I finally decided it was enough and went to my Urologist. I was in so much pain. I was in tears. It was nonstop pain. My urologist told me that I had a stone or stones. My urologist prescribed me a pain med and Flomax. I thought Flomax was just for men. I looked it up and found out that it is used for kidney stones. I have taken Flomax once a day since Thursday and now I have no pain. I feel I passed the stone early this morning or it moved somewhere else. I am not hurting. I am so glad. I don't even know how to act, because I have been in so much pain for so long. I am set up for a CAT scan on Monday."

Luvrofmusik July 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Flomax (tamsulosin): "Flomax definitely worked for me. I just passed a series of six (6) 5mm kidney stones while using the bathroom. This was the third day (thus third dose) I had taken. In the past it's taken me weeks to pass just one 5mm stone. Side effects I experienced were a bit of muscle cramps/tensions in my legs and a numb feeling on the tip of my tongue. Not sure if that was the Flomax, the Oxy, or the Naproxen, or the large amounts of citrus fruits I ate/drank (lemon water and oranges) in an attempt to dissolve the stones. Either way Flomax helped me within 3 days. I am healed, thank God. Also just for reference I am a healthy (although overweight) 22y/o female and the stones were my only medical issue."

Marlaya (taken for less than 1 month) July 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Flomax (tamsulosin): "40 YO Female just passed a 6mm stone that caused 3 weeks of renal colic followed by 2 months of being stuck in my bladder. CT showed it just outside my urethera. Urologist said surgery. I asked Google. This is where I came across info that indicated flomax could help though not FDA approved for use in women. I figured if the stone had already made it thru the kidney and ureter to the bladder it was certainly possible for it to travel just an inch further. So asked the Dr if I could try flomax before rushing into surgery and she agreed it couldn't hurt. Well it did hurt but only briefly in comparison to the entire episode. 2 pills (2 nights) and my 6 mm stone just kinda fell out. Long 3 month story short, I <3 Flowmax!"

I<3Flomax (taken for less than 1 month) June 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Flomax (tamsulosin): "Really I’m interested on your post! Please post more article about Kidney stone Thanks a lot, Hamid "

sangekolye.com June 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was diagnosed with kidney stones (four in left kidney; 3 in right kidney). All are approximately 4 mm. One was ready to go down the ureter and was causing me pain and uncomfortable feeling (like a UTI) for 10 days. Plus months of mid-back pain. I took one dose of Tamsulosin and passed the stone the next morning without any pain at all! I was so shocked! I thought at first that the stone was part of a granola bar that I had eaten a few hours earlier. But it was hard, so I had lab test it (Calcium Oxalate). I still have six more stones to pass. I won't take the Tamsulosin until I have the pain again. I felt a little off for a few days after taking the one dose. But absolutely worth it!"

Suzyinthewest June 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"been taking this med for over one year now originally my doctor prescribed it for Kidney stones which now helps with my prostrate and bladder issues allowing me to have a normal urine flow. Also at one time noticed within a day or two of not taking the med began having a urine flow issue with a noticeable shrinkage in the penis while attempting to urinate. Once back on the medication all issues seem to return back to normal. I take the med in the mornings with all my other medications and supplements and do not experience any side effects by doing that."

Pdybravo (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Flomax (tamsulosin): "It was the first kidney stone I had. Can't say it really helped. I was only supposed to take 2 weeks worth. I was pretty sure I passed stone but doc wanted me to take full dose. Halfway through 2nd week, I wet the bed. I stopped taking them then."

BostonTerrier Mom (taken for less than 1 month) April 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Thanks to all for sharing experiences. 20days back I was diagnosed with kidney stone. This will be my second case in the last 3 years. Initially they opted for an ultrasound to check the size, but couldn't find it. A CT scan last week revealed a "5mm nonobstructing caculus" in the right ureter. The pain wasn't much but seeing blood a few days later while under medication got me worried. I have been given Tamasulosin 0.4mg today. Will start taking it by night, as the doc said it may cause a slight drop in blood pressure so make sure you're in a controlled and safe place. Hope it the stone pops out early. I'm not a fan of drugs of any sorts. Male, 28.."

Shavi (taken for less than 1 month) March 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Flomax (tamsulosin): "I have surgery during which I was put to sleep had A 14 mm kidney stone removed from the bottom of one of my two left ureter's ( I was born with for ureters completely duplicated all the way down to the insertion of my Bladder ),I have swelling of both left ureters on my left side and the massive 1.4 x 1.2 cm stone was stuck in a (non congenital) ureterocele at the uvj at entrance to my bladder. Stone was broken up by laser removed and a stent placed in ureter from kidney to uvj. I was discharged from the hospital five hours after waking up from anesthesia key in a prescription for tamsulosin hcl (Flomax) 0.4mg(take 1 capsule daily (qty.30). phenazopyridine 200 mg , take 1 tab 1 to 2 times daily(qty 30). Cipro500 mg twice a day(qty6"

Elisejtolbert March 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Flomax (tamsulosin): "I am a frequent flyer when it comes to bladder stones and kidney stones. I am a female. This last time I went in because it wasn't moving. Cat scan revealed a 11 mm stone. They went in with a scope and laser to blast it but as soon as they tried to open up my ureter with the balloon they realized too late it was as full of strictures and one split open. So they quickly inserted a J stent, left the stone there and pulled out. Now I am 4 weeks out waiting for my ureter to heal before my urologist decides what it needs to be done. During this time I have been on flomax and it has helped with the flow of my urine and helps the pain. I am hoping that somehow the large stone has broken up and "left the building" lol side effects minimal."

Stone master February 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Flomax (tamsulosin): "Experienced sudden severe pain in left abdomen & back a week ago. An ultrasound at the Gastroenterologist (yeah, I went to one..) singled out the culprit as a 5mm stone in left ureter close to VUJ. I consulted a urologist a day after & he prescribed Tamsulosin (Flomax) 0.4mg each day in the night after meal. I used it for three days and got a CT KUB done since my pain wan't coming down much. - The CT KUB showed the stone intact at the same position (VUJ), The doctor suggested Laser Lithotripsy after two days. My pain stopped from that night & to check if stone got into bladder I went to a nearby diagnostic center & got another ultrasound scan done, the 5mm stone is gone!"

Mappa January 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Hi Im a 53 year old female, have a kidney stone left side, never had one before! Was in terrible pain 2 nights in a row, vomiting and sweats also, went to doctors, had ultra sound and xray. Stone has left kidney is in top part its 5.3mm. Doctor has prescribed Tamsulosin Sandor. Just about to start it now. Feeling scared... have read some comments on here and feel a little at ease. My stone seems quite big and im terrified of THAT pain again."

hopefuljewels January 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Flomax (tamsulosin): "Had severe kidney stones from 2002 to 2005. Moved to a cooler climate (Newfoundland, Canada) and the stones stopped being produced from May to September. Now - 2016 - I've been suffering with very painful stone stuck high in ureter since early July. It is now late November and my new GP has just prescribed FLOMAX .4mg to try to relax my right ureter so the stone will pass. CT scan says it is only 1 mm, so GP doesn't want to send me to a Urologist - yet. Just took first pill while reading this web site. Everyone's comments so very helpful. THANK YOU! While the stone is very small, it is amazingly painful causing nausea and screaming pain when it starts up again. Am also drinking beer which is supposed to help. Good luck to others."

Nellie's Mom November 23, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Age 49. Urgent peeing and rectum pressure resulted in Doctor diagnosis of prostatitis and two weeks worth of Cipro. Nine days in, all went to hell: Back and side flank agony; intense urge to pee but not be able to void. WORST PAIN EVER. Ct scan revealed less than 2mm stone. Long story short: Sent home to drink lots of water, and given 4 days of pain killers and anti-inflammatories (Dilaudid and Voltaren suppository), which only eased the pain, and not always. Got Tamsulosin from new M.D. 2 Dosages later: 4 stones painlessly passed!!! (along with some dark urine and blood clots). Tamsulosin works, end of discussion. I will keep some with me for any future episode. I just wish emergency would have started me right away on it. Ask for it."

Stones 67 (taken for less than 1 month) November 12, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Flomax (tamsulosin): "You all are going to think I'm crazy or a genius but either way I'm relieved. I've been in excruciating pain for months & my doctors were thinking it was from a herniated disc but my gut instinct told me it was something else. Although the disc is painful I know it's stones, I had all the symptoms. I don't have a mm or cm to share because they never sent me for CS. I was an in home health aide and the patient I cared for passed away & he had Flomax, I had a feeling I would need them someday. I was at the doctors office today in tears crying & honestly just couldn't bear it anymore. He handed me a tissue and gave me a referral to a pain management clinic. I did research on stones took Flomax & in 2 hours passed it & no more pain. Praise God!"

Unheard Of (taken for less than 1 month) October 4, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Flomax (tamsulosin): "Female age 35 with history of kidney stones. Went to ER for kidney stone pain on a Friday, was given a shot of Flomax and a prescription to take daily. Saw urologist and received CAT scan on Monday - one 5mm kidney stone in ureter and two more (one in each kidney) to come. On day six of Flomax and going to stop taking it - feeling very dizzy, nauseous, tired with chills/low fever at night. Still haven't passed the stone but can't take these side affects. Doctor said I can go back on Flomax anytime if my kidney stone pain comes back and I need it to help pass this stone."

Female35 (taken for less than 1 month) June 15, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Flomax (tamsulosin): "I've passed several stones, this was one of the worst and the first time flomax was prescribed. I have never had such ease passing a stone before and would highly recommend this for anyone suffering from a stone."

Bellerose (taken for less than 1 month) March 29, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Flomax (tamsulosin): "I went to emergency 7 days ago with kidney pain. I had stone in both kidneys. 5mm to right, 3 mm to left. Two doctors talked to me one was experienced & other was & fresh graduate. They told me I am going through surgery. I am self employed I had bad experience with fresh grad doctor 2 years ago. He operated me for lithotripsy & put a stent in me. Stent was not placed properly & I know how I spent 2 weeks with stent. Now I refused to become their practice animal. They prescribed me flomax 0.4mg for 7 days. I passed small stone within 5 days next two days I passed second stone. Only discomfort was shortness in breath, a little bleeding from nose & frequent urge to pee. I continue my business in this duration. Thanks flomax."

Mian sb (taken for less than 1 month) March 28, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Flomax (tamsulosin): "felt the familiar symptoms of a stone. doctor said it was 4 mm. gave me flowmax. I had symptoms of the stone for about 3 days. Took one flowmax pill, and within 8 hours the stone passed. My past experience was to have two stones stick and require surgery. Was it the flowmax, or would it have passed on its own? Who knows....for now I am a believer!"

spud1000 March 24, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Flomax (tamsulosin): "I have frequent kidney stones and for awhile was at a lose on how to deal with them. Eventually, after several horrible hospital trips, my primary doctor prescribed me Flomax and told me to take one a day during an attack. Flomax has been an absolute life saver for me. Within an hour, my pain subsides and I am normally able to pass the stone that same day. I carry Flomax with me everywhere now. It has helped reduce the anxiety I had about when my next kidney stone would occur because I know I have a pill that really works."

Lyndsayxo (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 16, 2016