User Reviews for Rapaflo to treat Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia

Rapaflo Rating Summary

6.0/10 Average Rating

Compare all 49 medications used in the treatment of Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia.

Reviews for Rapaflo

truckman January 12, 2020

“This stuff does improve "flow" rapidly and in that way it is good. It also shut down my ability to ejaculate and made it difficult to reach a dry orgasm. If you don't push it, you get this very weak dry orgasm that makes you think - why bother? Told my doctor about this [she had previously reviewed the common side effects]. She said try pushing it beyond the weak orgasm. So I tried hard and was rewarded with a very intense dry orgasm. More intense than a normal wet orgasm by far. I was just getting to like the sexual side effect when I had to go to my doctor for insomnia. She said, oh, that might be the Rapaflo. So, I'm off it now and sleeping great. I thyink Rapaflo might be a great short term medication but long term I need my sleep!”

PEIGuy · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 18, 2019

“This drug will get your flow going fast - within hours I had relief. I had no side effects other than sexual. The primary sexual side effect is that it shuts off ejaculations for me. Thankfully my doctor explained this fully. Orgasm is difficult to achieve but when I get there it is intense but dry. I have grown to like it as there is never a mess. Yes orgasm is redefined but if you can accept that and do not need to father a child it can be great.”

Joe March 11, 2019

“56 years old with BPH, used to go at night only once , weak steam and frequent trips during the day. Took Rapaflo for 5-6 months.it helped with flow and almost never get up during the night but the side effects started about a month ago, little or no ejaculate, soft erections and decrease orgasm sensations by 40%., stuffy nose . I will not continue taking the medication side effects are worse than the problem. ”

Skipper Chuck · Taken for less than 1 month December 25, 2018

“After trying Flomax, Hytrin and Myrbetriq, none of which worked, my doctor suggested Rapaflo. I've been taking it nightly for 10 days now and I don't feel any relief for the BPH symptoms. The retrograde ejaculations are strange, but something I recall from Hytrin and Flomax. However the intensity of orgasm is maybe 30% of normal. I'm also dog tired virtually all the time - dunno if that's the medication or something else. I've read here of taking it every other day; I'll give that a try and see if things improve. If they don't I'm going off the drug.”

Koder January 15, 2018

“While rapaflo relieved my BPH symptoms, the side effect of retrograde ejaculatuion caused me to stop taking it. My pharmacist suggested I take the generic form (alfuzosion). Best decision I made! Same benefit without side effect”

MountainMail · Taken for less than 1 month December 21, 2017

“Been taking Rapaflo for three weeks. No improvement in urine flow, not at all. Also, experiencing a lot of soreness in the prostate and occasional sharp, jabbing pains there. Stopping taking it.”

Rothie · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 16, 2017

“Seemed to work for about two 1/2 weeks, then wore off and symptoms returned. I would of had to stop taking anyway due to unbelievable nasal congestion. Tried to stick with it for 3 more weeks, but since I could not breath through my nose had trouble with sleep also. Also no sperm at all. Two weeks after stopping still some nasal congestion.”

Tio Joseph May 19, 2017

“Decreased or non-existent semen flow”

Frequent bathroom visitor April 6, 2017

“Best drug out there for improvement in stream. Worst drug out there for retrograde ejaculation and orgasm buzz killer.”

Larr123 February 17, 2017

“BPH, 2 acute urinary retention episodes in less than a month. Started with Avodart (0.5 mg) daily (in the morning) and Rapaflo (4 mg, before going to sleep). This combination seems to be working for me after 3 weeks (no waking up at night to pee, no urgency). Avodart shrinks the prostate (it may take up to 6 month to see improvement) and Rapaflo relaxes the prostate gland and the bladder's neck to make it easy to urinate. Rapaflo also gives me very strong erections (not sure why) and I do have retro ejaculation but I prefer that to the inconvenience of having a catheter in which can also cause UTI. Every man's prostate is different. Just keep trying to find the right pill for you.”

cmb1991882 February 14, 2017

“52 hrs old, I started taking Flomax for BPH. It completely blocked my sinus. So I asked for something different. My urologist prescribed Rapaflo, but they blocked sinus was even worse and it cost me 260.00 for 30 pills! Horrible medicine! Avoid at all costs.”

GatorBoy · Taken for less than 1 month February 7, 2017

“The retrograde ejaculation (no semen) and decreased libido are not worth the benefits for sexually active men. If these side effects are of no concern then try it but I hated it.”

Richard Nickooloas February 7, 2017

“I have just read through most of the comments here and find them accurate about the side-effects: no ejaculate while on it, but stopping the drug ends that problem after a little while. I had a procedure called Urolift where my urologist (with local anesthesia) inserted 4 tiny devices that open up the urethra (like shoring up a tunnel) to create more flow. During the operation in his office and while awake, one of the little clips didn't attach fully and when I urinated a few days later it came out (OUCH). After that no more pain from it traveling out but lots of bloody urine for a few days. Bottom line: the procedure worked out well even with three of them implanted. It has been a year and just had bladder infection cured with Cipro.”

Ender67 December 12, 2016

“For me it works well, with some caveats. Take it for too long and it's effectiveness wanes around the 2 week mark. However, when you go back it works in full force again. I also noticed it was not needed EVERY day either, skipping days worked pretty well too... the second day just had a much lesser effect but still there. Sexual effects? YUP! No ejaculate, reduced drive. All that. This is not a big deal to me. I am 50 and my wife works the opposite shift from me during the week so sex isn't happening anyway. When you stop taking them, 24-30 hrs later your back to normal. So I just typically take them on weekDAYS and deal with poor urine flow on day when sex is a possibility.”

1designer · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 25, 2016

“After many months I lost my entire sex drive, had hair loss, very rapid heart beats, shortness of breath, all over muscle weakness, sick to my stomach and rapid weight loss and loss of balance I had to stop driving! I caution anyone about how the benefits out way the risks! In will never take this ever again!”

babyGsus · Taken for less than 1 month October 5, 2016

“Within 1 hour of first dose, I, like many others on this thread, had no ejaculate. None. It was pretty disconcerting to say the least. As far as the BPH goes, it worked. I just can't justify taking something that ruins sex, no matter what the reason.”

DougInLaguna September 28, 2016

“I have BPH and wish to avoid TURP surgery. My urologist did ultrascans, CT scans, nuclear renal scans, etc. I have urine retention and that has led to one kidney having swelling. He ordered intermediate cathing. Have been doing that for 2 months now. My bladder is voiding to 0 and retention is capped at 300-350 cc. More scans indicate my kidneys are doing fine now. I started Rapaflo with Finasteride before cathing. It did not help void my bladder. So we moved to cathing. I have no urge to pee unless my bladder has over 400 cc. So Rapaflo/finasteride does not seem to be working. I do have retrograde ejaculation. Surely, Rapaflo is causing it. Urologist says keeping taking R+F as it might take time. Meanwhile int cathing is the plan.”

AZWilliam · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 20, 2016

“Started Rapaflo last year and found it extremely effective in improving my urine flow and trips to the bathroom. I took in the AM but pharmacist suggested I take at bed time. Taking it at night left me tossing and turning from lack of sleep. After a few nights with very little sleep I changed back to taking in the AM and my normal sleep returned. My biggest problem was a total lack of orgasm, no climax and no ejaclulate at all. I found by taking the drug every 3 days I was still able to increase my urine flow and still have orgasm and ejaculate. Now my biggest problem is no coverage under my health insurance. They want me to take a bunch of old drugs that give you big breasts and no erections. Blah to that. I'll pay the $215 for 30 caps”

Whatwhatinduhbutt August 27, 2016

“40 yrs old. Had testicular cancer at 30, left testi removed. About 2 years after I started having pain in between my scotum and rectum. Was diagnosed with prostatitis , doc put me on rapaflo. Said it could take up to 3 weeks for it to start to work. First thing I noticed with in 24 hrs was retrograde ejaculation.. Vary concerning at first then I read into side effects.. (Thanks doc for not giving any heads up). It took me about 3 days befor my pain was lessened..and about 2 weeks befor it was almost gone. Now I can get away without taking it for 3-5 days befor I start getting sore...but it's a catch 22 since the timing for me to have a normal ejaculation is about 3-4 days off the meds. 3-4 days of use is not enough time for it to work prop.”

Picnic August 7, 2016

“59 yo male. Frequent night urination not able to void the bladder completely. Doc put me on Rapaflo and the symptoms vanished within 48 hours. Able to orgasm but not ejaculate. Climax not as strong.”

KD. July 23, 2016

“Fifty-nine year old. Have taken Rapaflo for several years. Diagnosed with BPH. I was warned about the lack of ejaculate. I was still able to orgasm. Then I developed problems with orgasm. My urologist said it was either low testosterone levels or psychlogical issues. He said the Rapaflo was not causing the problem. My prescription plan sent out a letter stating that the cost of Rapaflo would increase dramatically. I talked to my urologist and he prescribed the generic Tamsulosin( brand namd Flomax). I get three months supply at a time. I finished out my Rapaflo. Then I started taking the Tamsulosin. The return to orgasm and ejaculation was not immediate, but I and the woman in my life are very estatic with our sex life now.”

Flash99 · Taken for less than 1 month July 22, 2016

“I have been getting up 3-4 times every night and finally decided to try medication again. (previously tried Flomax which did nothing for me) Rapaflo, after 4 days gave me only a headache, diarrhea and at best a 20% flow increase. I still got up several times during the night, maybe one less time than previous. The side effects and miniscule benefit made it a no-brainer to stop taking this useless medication. A waste of $78.”

spanky1962 June 25, 2016

“In 2009 I was diagnosed with prostate cancer. 2 tumors. Underwent 42 treatments of radiation. My choice over surgery. Had 2 shots of Lu pron 6 months apart to kill the testosterone and help the radiation do the job. Cancer gone and PSA tests less than 1 ever since. Started taking Rapaflo 8mg every night and it helped me sleep at least 3 or 4 hours without having to get up to the bathroom so often. I think the radiation hurt my bladder and the result was frequent urination. Anyway to the point. The Rapaflo works but I cannot experience a normal ejaculation. But when I quit taking the Rapaflo for a week or more I can with ext ream pain, both from the penis and the area of the prostate. It is a burning sensation. Have tried twice.”

RickHan May 6, 2016

“Immediate relief. Seems to be very long acting ... I was prescribed Rapaflo 8mg once daily but seem to need once WEEKY .... I quickly know that once urine flow becomes a problem ...it's time to take the medication.”

John Babbitt · Taken for less than 1 month April 2, 2016

“Really not sure why my urologist gave me samples of this drug since my prostate was normal for my age and my PSA was normal. I was not having issues peeing just some discomfort. Anyway, I tried the pills for four days. Nothing changed because I was still up 2-3 times per night like I have for years. But.....the side effects were immediate. Stuffy head, headaches and no ejaculate. Not a drop. Freaked me out. Erection was not as strong and the "climax" took longer to reach and was literally a split second. If you still enjoy sex steer clear of this drug. I'm am stopping immediately and will not return to that doctor. As far as I'm concerned I paid $200 for nothing .”