User Reviews for Mestinon to treat Myasthenia Gravis

Mestinon has an average rating of 6.9 out of 10 from a total of 14 ratings for the treatment of Myasthenia Gravis. 50% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 21% reported a negative effect.

Mestinon Rating Summary

6.9/10 average rating

Compare all 11 medications used in the treatment of Myasthenia Gravis.

Reviews for Mestinon

Anonymous March 31, 2010

“Mestinon helps everyone differently. I started out with ocular MG. Apparently, this drug helps most people with their ocular MG, but it doesn't do anything at all to improve my eye. My case of MG rapidly generalized, and difficulty breathing was my 2nd symptom to manifest. Mestinon improves my breathing issues somewhat, but doesn't take the shortness of breath away completely. Same with my arms and thighs; it helps, but doesn't make the weakness disappear altogether. Mestinon can cause diarrhea, but most likely won't if taken alongside a meal or with a small snack. It must be taken every 3-4 hours. Mestinon is one of the only drugs out there for MG with the least amount of unpleasant side effects.”

Anonymous · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 13, 2012

“I am a 33 yr old female who was diagnosed with level 4 Myasthenia Gravis about 4 1/2 yes ago. I've taken Mestinon everyday along with a large assortment of other medicines for my condition. I have found it greatly increases my mobility and function, compared to not taking it. The side effects wore off after about 6 months of use, and I really don't have any now.”

mar020980 November 16, 2008

“I've taken Mestinon for 3 years, since I was first diagnosed with Generalized MG/Optical MG. There has been a great improvement in my weakness. I'm able to keep my eyes open, I don't lose my balance nearly as much, fall less often. I take it every 3 hours and if I miss a dose, the weakness increases. It's quite like taking a pain reliever for a severe headache in that it lessens the symptoms, but they will return as it wears off.”

zenarcher · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 11, 2015

“I had lost the use of my arms and hands, couldn't swallow nor chew....had double vision and often lost the ability for speech. Doctors believe it had progressed nearly 4 years before diagnosed. Within a couple of hours of starting the medication, functioning began to return. I take 3 60mg. tablets per day and am able to function quite well now.”

Franko December 11, 2020

“I have Occular Myasthenia Gravis and after being initially put on 50mg of Prednisone and 25mg of Mestinon once each morning my symptoms disappeared and my vision returned to 20/20 after only 9 days, prior to that I had extreme double vision. Now I'm on 3 doses of 60 mg Mestinon and one dose of prednisone eventually aiming on no Prednisone. Certainly urinating more and have diarrhea. Hoping I'll acclimatise to the Mestinon as having my all important vision back is fantastic. Cheers all.”

JJ71 January 25, 2016

“I am a 44yr old male recently diagnosed with MG since Nov 2015. I take 90mg 4 times a day. My medication generally last 5hrs. My MG inolves slurred speech, difficulty swallowing, teary eyes, difficulty pushing food around with my tongue, a very weak bite. My medication usually kicks in after 45m-1hr. My speech improves although there is still a hint of a slur but much improved. Swallowing improves but still not confident. I always have water just in case. No diarrhea at all and only once I had severe cramps but that was while I was adjusting my dosage. Taking 2 60mg tablets will probably do that. Have vomited once but I function much better while on Mestinon.”

neuroguy · Taken for less than 1 month June 10, 2014

“Double seronegative MG with only ocular symptoms for going on three years -- slight ptosis and (typically torsional) diplopia during flare ups. Edrophonium test was very positive; EMG negative. Mestinon induces absolutely no detectable change for me -- which seems odd if the edrophonium test was positive. Stress levels and possibly pollen levels tend to exacerbate symptoms. Symptoms can be held at bay with 5mg prednisone every third to fourth day heavy exercise regimen (35-45 miles running per week) diet low in wheat but high veggies and protein. Asymptomatic periods have stretched up to 9 months.”

EdwinaJW · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 21, 2017

“Thymus tumor caused Myasthenia Gravis. Tumor was removed (thymectomy) but still have severe muscle problems, treated with pyridostigmine 60mgx5 and 5 mg prednisone x2. Which gives me about a 1-2 hour window of better muscle control per dosage. Often times causes severe cramping in neck, head, face, hands, legs.., I take magnesium to relax the muscle cramping. Also have less control of bowels and urinary. Not sure if meds help or hinder in that area. Food has less taste too.”

Anonymous June 22, 2010

“This medicine gave me great relief within few hours of taking it. However, I get really painful cramps in my stomach. I realized I get hungry more often. I have been on it for about three years. Within these three years I have taken about six doses. I think it is great.”

Mazen · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 25, 2021

“Mestinon helped ease my symptoms but did not completely relief the pain. Neck and shoulder cramps and pain still persist especially in the evenings and at night. I have been on mestinon since I was diagnosed about 6 months ago. Hoping with long term use it will improve my symptoms”

randalynn s · Taken for 10 years or more October 3, 2021

“I started taking mestinon when I was first diagnosed in 1999, however in 2004 I had a thyroidectomy and I feel a lot better, I still take 6 pills a day and 2 Immuran pills but I am doing almost a 100% better than I was before the surgery. If I don't eat enough my stomach will cramp badly, so I try to coat my stomach to prevent it, I can also tell when its time for a dosage as well. Before the surgery I couldn't get dressed, drive on the highway (could not see the highway signs), drive at night, the lights hurt my eyes and I was very weak, had to take family medical leave from work.”

Anonymous September 16, 2021

“I was recently diagnosed with Myasthenia Gravis. I get double vision, droopy eyelids, muscle weakness and muscle fatigue. I started on Mestinon 60mg 3 x a day and 25mg Prednisolone and tapered down 5mg every week. It worked and I felt so much energy but then my medication changed to Mestinon Timespan 180mg and it caused me very painful stomach cramps and excess flatulence and diarrhoea. For 1 month I hoped my body would get used to it but I couldn't handle it anymore. I told my doctor and she said to take half a tablet 1 x a day and so far no bad side effects and only mild stomach cramps. My MG haven't returned. I make sure to eat with the medicine and drink lots of water.”

gumbo z July 16, 2014

“I have been able to swallow within 2 hours of taking my first pill”

John Va. · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 22, 2017

“Medicine works well . I do experience muscle cramps, stomach aches and muscle twitching at times. Blurred vision occasionally. Over all. Satisfied with results.”

John · Taken for 2 to 5 years September 13, 2020

“Mestinon seems to be effective for me in treating symptoms.”

Anonymous March 21, 2009

“I tried taking Mestinon when I was first diagnosed and it caused bad diarrhea.”

Edvan · Taken for less than 1 month December 22, 2019

“It never lasted more than 2 or 3 days”

Learn more about Myasthenia Gravis