User Reviews for Phenol topical to treat Sore Throat

Also known as: Chloraseptic Sore Throat Spray, Cepastat, Phenaseptic Cherry, P & S Liquid, Mycinette Sore Throat Spray, Cepastat Extra Strength, Castellani Paint, Assure Sore Throat, Unguentine Original Formula, Cheracol Sore Throat, Castellani Paint Colorless, Pain-A-Lay Gargle, Unguentine Ora Relief Throat …show all brand names

Phenol topical has an average rating of 4.5 out of 10 from a total of 22 ratings for the treatment of Sore Throat. 32% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 55% reported a negative effect.

Phenol topical Rating Summary

4.5/10 average rating

Compare all 25 medications used in the treatment of Sore Throat.

Reviews for Phenol topical

Mairie · Taken for 10 years or more January 12, 2019

Chloraseptic Sore Throat Spray (phenol): “I have been using this spray for many years. I spray the back of my throat and swallow it cause I never seen where you are supposed to spit it out. A year ago I started getting a loud gurgling sound in my throat and had to hard swallow. Never put 2 and 2 together till I recently got a sore throat and sprayed it again then the gurgling started almost immediately. I didn't use any other product but this. I will never use it again. The part about spitting it out is not very visible and when you spray something into the back of your throat why would a person think they could spit it back out anyways. DO NOT USE THIS.”

Alan · Taken for less than 1 month October 6, 2020

Chloraseptic Sore Throat Spray (phenol): “I'm using Chloraseptic Sore Throat Spray now for a chronic sore irrated throat. 5 sprays directly into the back of my throat with my head tilted back. Keep head back and gargle with it as long as you can. Blow a little of it up the back side of your nose while you're gargling. Once it touches your tongue, your mouth will start to produce saliva which is bad because it will either dilute or wash the medicine away....you want it on the affected area for as long as possible So keep spitting until your mouth remains empty. Seems to work better that way.”

Anonymous June 27, 2018

Chloraseptic Sore Throat Spray (phenol): “I used this product once for a sore throat. After using it irritated and swelled the back of my throat and uvula and I have had no taste buds or sense of smell since. It has been 4 weeks now and I still cannot taste or smell since using this product.”

Manolita February 12, 2018

Chloraseptic Sore Throat Spray (phenol): “Phenol can be very dangerous and the hazards are not just those of a typical corrosive. The hazards of phenol are 2 fold. It is both a corrosive (can cause severe burns) and toxic (absorbed phenol acts as a systemic toxin). In one case, death resulted from ingestion of as little as 15 mL”

Quita · Taken for less than 1 month May 29, 2019

Chloraseptic Sore Throat Spray (phenol): “I desperately wish this lasted longer. Other reviewers said this stuff is toxic if overused, but one spray every 2 hours doesn't last when the numbing itself may only last 10 minutes or less. Unfortunately, I use 3 sprays at a time and the numbing still doesn't last. I wish I had saved my money.”

Rudy6897 November 5, 2016

Chloraseptic Sore Throat Spray (phenol): “I will personally attest to this,,, 33 years ago, as a teenager, I came home from school one day with a terrible sore throat - I squirted quite a bit of Chloraseptic into my throat and swallowed more than I should have. Within hours, I fell into, what I have described all these years later, as a coma-like state of awareness for a good majority of the rest of that week. I finally began to come out of that state 5 days later. It was never discussed with any doctor, so I just chalked it up to some freak of nature. I am, without a doubt, now assured the phenol ingredient was the cause to my negative reaction to swallowing the Chloraseptic!”

Vaati76 · Taken for 10 years or more September 2, 2018

Chloraseptic Sore Throat Spray (phenol): “I have been using this since I was a kid and I loved it. It works great for mild sore throats and it works really well for Canker sours. It works to help provide temporary relief. Never had any issue or side effects from this.”

Lui September 26, 2018

Chloraseptic Sore Throat Spray (phenol): “One side of the roof of my mouth got irritated after dental work. It hurts when I chew and try to ingest solid food. I've tried gargling with warm salt water, baking soda and water, apple cider vinegar and water, and most of the usual home remedies. Nothing was helping enough. I went to the local pharmacy to look for an antiseptic oral spray. So I bought a bottle of the spray. I researched its main ingredient: phenol. It said it was an analgesic (numbs pain) and that it has an antimicrobial effect, but it can also be a dangerous compound if ingested. I bought some. It seems to be working. I have only used it for a day so far. I'm making sure to spit out any liquid since I read that it can be caustic (toxic). I hope it is diluted a lot so that small amount I might ingest wont affect me. Good luck to all.”

J · Taken for 10 years or more December 25, 2018

“I started using the spray as recommended by my Orthodontist 42 years ago to help with the pain after having braces tightened. Who would have thought it would help a sore throat, right? The way that I see it, is if it helps me (as nasty as it might taste and some are worse than others) swallow something without as much pain, at least I'm getting some kind of nutrition. I've suffered with all types of ENT issues since I was born and I know what it's like to have your throat get so swollen it closes. PS I just learned tonight I wasn't supposed to swallow it. Good health to all, Merry Christmas”

Aem6389 December 12, 2017

Chloraseptic Sore Throat Spray (phenol): “I frequently get strep throat and unfortunately feel it coming on again. I bought this spray needing ASAP relief and am extremely disappointed...it doesn't work. It barely numbs it for more than 2 minutes if that. Also I think I accidentally swallowed some...ugh. This was such a waste of $8. Save your money and buy a hot tea with honey.”

Areophile · Taken for less than 1 month September 28, 2017

Chloraseptic Sore Throat Spray (phenol): “What is this? Phenol? Phenol doesn't "numb" anything. This is the weakest medicine of any kind. What happened to benzocaine? We want POWERFUL medicine that eliminates pain and lasts for a long time, not this worthless, useless snake oil.”

Cam · Taken for less than 1 month November 2, 2018

Chloraseptic Sore Throat Spray (phenol): “I can tolerate most tinctures of various forms that taste gross if it means they are effective. I draw the line at this stuff.. it tastes SO bad like something I should definitely not have in my mouth. Never again. I will stick to the Chloraseptic lozenges with the benzocaine. This stuff helps a bit with the soreness but I'd rather have a sore throat than the taste of this garbage in my mouth. good luck!”

Eilan2017 · Taken for less than 1 month October 1, 2017

Chloraseptic Sore Throat Spray (phenol): “It doesn't work. Waste of money. I should have gone for the generic brand. It said just one spray but I do 3 sprays and still doesn't work. I like the new flavor though but it says to spit out after 15 seconds. Sometimes I accidentally swallow some. Hope it's not dangerous.”

Lisa326 August 30, 2017

Chloraseptic Sore Throat Spray (phenol): “Usually buy the generic version but ran out and couldn't find it, so bought this name brand one when the whole house had colds and sore throats, it sucks - it only numbs it for about 2-5min the generic works 100 times better. I'm mad I wasted my money. Lesson of the day stick with the generic when it comes to store bought cold medicines, same goes for dayquil or nyquil, they started taking the main ingredient that make them work out of the name brand ones because of stupid people abusing it, so now they don't work.”

Vito · Taken for less than 1 month March 18, 2019

Chloraseptic Sore Throat Spray (phenol): “Either my tolerance to Chloraseptic grew super fast, or this stuff doesn’t work. It worked ok for the first little while, but then it became a joke. I spray it and it burns like anything making me think that the thing is working, but then the pain comes back momentarily. I even tried spraying it 3 times and even gargling and still just a temporary relief.”

Sickfordays · Taken for less than 1 month November 18, 2019

“Have had a sore throat for days taking pain relievers over the counter and couldn't sleep at night I finally used chloraseptic that was hidden in the medicine cabinet and was instantly relieved thanks to sore throat spray but if you do not like the average flavor try the children's and may not taste so bad.....”

Maria1573 · Taken for less than 1 month December 30, 2017

“Rudy , thank you for your story. It is 2:32 AM . I am wide awake and weirded out. I am in day 8 of recovering from a bad bout of influenza. I have had sore tongue problems in the past with reflux, the gases make the tongue rough, sensitive, sore and misshapen. Difficult to heal when you know you will be open mouth breathing. I thought of Blistex for the lips .... it has the refreshing tingle and feels soothing, so I just applied it directly, tube to tongue. It felt great, and I fell asleep. Woke up an hour later but not really ‘woke up’ hearing little animal feet scurrying around me on my bed. Ya. This went on ,different variations of auditory hallucinations for a few hours. I am now searching phenol and hoping to stay awake.”

Darrell September 24, 2020

“Ever since I was a kid I used this stuff. Sometimes I snuck into mom's room and got it from the medical cabinet behind the mirror "out of reach of children" I used to take it when I was completely healthy and wanted to feel the sensation of a numb throat. Just recently got a cough and remembered this stuff. Figured it was better to feel a numb throat then go on coughing because it itched. It works for about a minute but sometimes that's enough to get you off a coughing spell. Instant relief. I like it. I would rather the momentary relief then tear up my throat with coughing torrents. I see people say it doesn't work and don't swallow it, it is real bad for you. I believe that. It's possible to have a allergic reaction from that and it's prolly not healthy for ya. Just now did I see the label and started researching what it's bad for.”

Ms. Error April 12, 2020

“I've been using this phenol gargle for my really sore throat and it helps a bit. I can still feel the pain though. I don't know what's wrong with my throat. This is pretty helpful even if it only helps a bit. I've used it before and it works well with dry coughing.”

Coco · Taken for less than 1 month January 19, 2020

Chloraseptic Sore Throat Spray (phenol): “Horrible, taste bad, provides no relief and, does not make it clear on the bottle not to swallow it.”

Anonymous March 26, 2021

Chloraseptic Sore Throat Spray (phenol): “We always swallowed this stuff as kids never had a problem now I'm freaking out... Because I sprayed like 6 sprays and swallowed and then decided to read the label.”

thtgg · Taken for less than 1 month October 2, 2019

Chloraseptic Sore Throat Spray (phenol): “I love this stuff. I took ibuprofen every three hours every day until I finally got over the strep, but this spray was what helped my throat feel better. And it works immediately.”

Psh · Taken for 10 years or more August 6, 2019

Chloraseptic Sore Throat Spray (phenol): “I have been using this product for 40+yrs, never had a problem”

Justme · Taken for less than 1 month January 13, 2019

Chloraseptic Sore Throat Spray (phenol): “Not sure if this is actually making my sore throat worse in the long run.”

Bearbear · Taken for less than 1 month August 9, 2019

“Does NOT taste good. Been taking this for a day and it lasts for 5 minutes. Doesn’t even help treat and only numbs. Sucks”

Learn more about Sore Throat