User Reviews for Phenol

Also known as: Assure Sore Throat, Castellani Paint, Castellani Paint Colorless, Cepastat, Cepastat Extra Strength, Cheracol Sore Throat, Chloraseptic Sore Throat Spray, Mycinette Sore Throat Spray, Ora Relief Throat, Ozonol, P & S Liquid, Pain-A-Lay Gargle, Phenasep Cherry, Unguentine, Unguentine Original Formula …show all brand names

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Phenol.

Tonsillitis/Pharyngitis

8.5

1 review
Summary of Phenol reviews 4.8 9 reviews

Reviews for Phenol

Chloraseptic Sore Throat Spray (phenol) for Sore Throat: "It doesn't work. Waste of money. I should have gone for the generic brand. It said just one spray but I do 3 sprays and still doesn't work. I like the new flavor though but it says to spit out after 15 seconds. Sometimes I accidentally swallow some. Hope it's not dangerous."

Eilan2017 (taken for less than 1 month) October 1, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Chloraseptic Sore Throat Spray (phenol) for Sore Throat: "What is this? Phenol? Phenol doesn't "numb" anything. This is the weakest medicine of any kind. What happened to benzocaine? We want POWERFUL medicine that eliminates pain and lasts for a long time, not this worthless, useless snake oil."

Areophile (taken for less than 1 month) September 28, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Chloraseptic Sore Throat Spray (phenol) for Sore Throat: "Usually buy the generic version but ran out and couldn't find it, so bought this name brand one when the whole house had colds and sore throats, it sucks - it only numbs it for about 2-5min the generic works 100 times better. I'm mad I wasted my money. Lesson of the day stick with the generic when it comes to store bought cold medicines, same goes for dayquil or nyquil, they started taking the main ingredient that make them work out of the name brand ones because of stupid people abusing it, so now they don't work."

Lisa326 August 30, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Chloraseptic Sore Throat Spray (phenol) for Tonsillitis/Pharyngitis: "On day two of an intense infection that has left me unable to swallow and thus sleep. Got Chloroseptic - only brand offered. It was nigh on useless. One squirt - the recommended dose - barely made an impression. I waited 10 minutes, did three squirts - marginal improvement, perhaps a 5 minute slight numbing. There is no way I can get relief with this product without going well over the guidelines and based on what I read elsewhere, swallowing it is dangerous. So, back to spitting in a cup for the next couple of days... Waste of money."

Brodie Scott (taken for less than 1 month) April 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Chloraseptic Sore Throat Spray (phenol) for Sore Throat: "I will personally attest to this,,, 33 years ago, as a teenager, I came home from school one day with a terrible sore throat - I squirted quite a bit of Chloraseptic into my throat and swallowed more than I should have. Within hours, I fell into, what I have described all these years later, as a coma-like state of awareness for a good majority of the rest of that week. I finally began to come out of that state 5 days later. It was never discussed with any doctor, so I just chalked it up to some freak of nature. I am, without a doubt, now assured the phenol ingredient was the cause to my negative reaction to swallowing the Chloraseptic!"

Rudy6897 November 5, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Chloraseptic Sore Throat Spray (phenol) for Tonsillitis/Pharyngitis: "I have a sore throat. I spray once and let it sit in the area for 20 secs then spit out. The numbing only stays for about 10 mins. Obviously the soreness starts to come back. With another spray and about 10 mins later still the numbing goes away. It says use every 2 hours if needed. I need more spraying. "

Anonymous February 9, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Chloraseptic Sore Throat Spray (phenol) for : "Have you ever been laying in bed with a post nasal cough, and cannot get to sleep?? Spray Chloraseptic spray at the back of your throat and numb it up...then you are able to get to sleep!"

Joel88888 April 15, 2013

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Tonsillitis/Pharyngitis: "Works immediately and numbs the throat."

soccergal8 March 16, 2011

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Chloraseptic Sore Throat Spray (phenol) for Tonsillitis/Pharyngitis: "I have Strep throat - this numbs effected area and soothes pain in throat. Works wonders but taste and smell is awful. OTC directions for use say use full strength, spray 3 times and swallow. Alternatively, gargle at full strength rinsing effected area for 15 seconds, then expel the remainder. repeat every 2 hours as necessary, to maximum of 8 times/ day. My personal experience I need 6 sprays then gargle and let sit on effected area for 30 seconds to have it last for 2 hours but I only do this 4 times a day. Have also used in the past for pain due to coughing and one spray lasts along time. Very good product because it works!"

leeann250 October 8, 2010