User Reviews for Phenol topical

Also known as: Assure Sore Throat, Castellani Paint, Castellani Paint Colorless, Cepastat, Cepastat Extra Strength, Cheracol Sore Throat, Chloraseptic Sore Throat Spray, Mycinette Sore Throat Spray, Ora Relief Throat, Ozonol, P & S Liquid, Pain-A-Lay Gargle, Phenasep Cherry, Unguentine, Unguentine Original Formula …show all brand names

Tonsillitis/Pharyngitis

Sore Throat
4.5

Summary of Phenol reviews 5.3 16 reviews

Reviews for Phenol

Chloraseptic Sore Throat Spray (phenol) for Sore Throat: "I can tolerate most tinctures of various forms that taste gross if it means they are effective. I draw the line at this stuff.. it tastes SO bad like something I should definitely not have in my mouth. Never again. I will stick to the Chloraseptic lozenges with the benzocaine. This stuff helps a bit with the soreness but I'd rather have a sore throat than the taste of this garbage in my mouth. good luck!"

Cam (taken for less than 1 month) November 2, 2018

Chloraseptic Sore Throat Spray (phenol) for Sore Throat: "One side of the roof of my mouth got irritated after dental work. It hurts when I chew and try to ingest solid food. I've tried gargling with warm salt water, baking soda and water, apple cider vinegar and water, and most of the usual home remedies. Nothing was helping enough. I went to the local pharmacy to look for an antiseptic oral spray. So I bought a bottle of the spray. I researched its main ingredient: phenol. It said it was an analgesic (numbs pain) and that it has an antimicrobial effect, but it can also be a dangerous compound if ingested. I bought some. It seems to be working. I have only used it for a day so far. I'm making sure to spit out any liquid since I read that it can be caustic (toxic). I hope it is diluted a lot so that small amount I might ingest wont affect me. Good luck to all."

Lui September 26, 2018

Chloraseptic Sore Throat Spray (phenol) for Sore Throat: "I have been using this since I was a kid and I loved it. It works great for mild sore throats and it works really well for Canker sours. It works to help provide temporary relief. Never had any issue or side effects from this."

Vaati76 (taken for 10 years or more) September 2, 2018

Chloraseptic Sore Throat Spray (phenol) for Sore Throat: "I used this product once for a sore throat. After using it irritated and swelled the back of my throat and uvula and I have had no taste buds or sense of smell since. It has been 4 weeks now and I still cannot taste or smell since using this product."

Anonymous June 27, 2018

Chloraseptic Sore Throat Spray (phenol) for Tonsillitis/Pharyngitis: "I have used Chloroseptic Spray, green, my entire life. I find it most effective for a ticklish throat that prevents falling asleep, due to sinus drainage. I spray once and can fall asleep right away. Sometimes, it's several times a night if I change positions, waking up. I have never liked the idea of swallowing it, but no sleep is torture. I am a healthy 65 year old and have never had any side effects from swallowing a small amount. However, I'm not advocating it, as it's not recommended. Also, no generic brand has ever helped."

Sherry (taken for 10 years or more) March 19, 2018

Chloraseptic Sore Throat Spray (phenol) for Sore Throat: "Phenol can be very dangerous and the hazards are not just those of a typical corrosive. The hazards of phenol are 2 fold. It is both a corrosive (can cause severe burns) and toxic (absorbed phenol acts as a systemic toxin). In one case, death resulted from ingestion of as little as 15 mL"

Manolita February 12, 2018

For Sore Throat: "Rudy , thank you for your story. It is 2:32 AM . I am wide awake and weirded out. I am in day 8 of recovering from a bad bout of influenza. I have had sore tongue problems in the past with reflux, the gases make the tongue rough, sensitive, sore and misshapen. Difficult to heal when you know you will be open mouth breathing. I thought of Blistex for the lips .... it has the refreshing tingle and feels soothing, so I just applied it directly, tube to tongue. It felt great, and I fell asleep. Woke up an hour later but not really ‘woke up’ hearing little animal feet scurrying around me on my bed. Ya. This went on ,different variations of auditory hallucinations for a few hours. I am now searching phenol and hoping to stay awake."

Maria1573 (taken for less than 1 month) December 30, 2017

Chloraseptic Sore Throat Spray (phenol) for Sore Throat: "I frequently get strep throat and unfortunately feel it coming on again. I bought this spray needing ASAP relief and am extremely disappointed...it doesn't work. It barely numbs it for more than 2 minutes if that. Also I think I accidentally swallowed some...ugh. This was such a waste of $8. Save your money and buy a hot tea with honey."

Aem6389 December 12, 2017

Chloraseptic Sore Throat Spray (phenol) for Sore Throat: "It doesn't work. Waste of money. I should have gone for the generic brand. It said just one spray but I do 3 sprays and still doesn't work. I like the new flavor though but it says to spit out after 15 seconds. Sometimes I accidentally swallow some. Hope it's not dangerous."

Eilan2017 (taken for less than 1 month) October 1, 2017

Chloraseptic Sore Throat Spray (phenol) for Sore Throat: "What is this? Phenol? Phenol doesn't "numb" anything. This is the weakest medicine of any kind. What happened to benzocaine? We want POWERFUL medicine that eliminates pain and lasts for a long time, not this worthless, useless snake oil."

Areophile (taken for less than 1 month) September 28, 2017

Chloraseptic Sore Throat Spray (phenol) for Sore Throat: "Usually buy the generic version but ran out and couldn't find it, so bought this name brand one when the whole house had colds and sore throats, it sucks - it only numbs it for about 2-5min the generic works 100 times better. I'm mad I wasted my money. Lesson of the day stick with the generic when it comes to store bought cold medicines, same goes for dayquil or nyquil, they started taking the main ingredient that make them work out of the name brand ones because of stupid people abusing it, so now they don't work."

Lisa326 August 30, 2017

Chloraseptic Sore Throat Spray (phenol) for Tonsillitis/Pharyngitis: "On day two of an intense infection that has left me unable to swallow and thus sleep. Got Chloroseptic - only brand offered. It was nigh on useless. One squirt - the recommended dose - barely made an impression. I waited 10 minutes, did three squirts - marginal improvement, perhaps a 5 minute slight numbing. There is no way I can get relief with this product without going well over the guidelines and based on what I read elsewhere, swallowing it is dangerous. So, back to spitting in a cup for the next couple of days... Waste of money."

Brodie Scott (taken for less than 1 month) April 5, 2017

Chloraseptic Sore Throat Spray (phenol) for Sore Throat: "I will personally attest to this,,, 33 years ago, as a teenager, I came home from school one day with a terrible sore throat - I squirted quite a bit of Chloraseptic into my throat and swallowed more than I should have. Within hours, I fell into, what I have described all these years later, as a coma-like state of awareness for a good majority of the rest of that week. I finally began to come out of that state 5 days later. It was never discussed with any doctor, so I just chalked it up to some freak of nature. I am, without a doubt, now assured the phenol ingredient was the cause to my negative reaction to swallowing the Chloraseptic!"

Rudy6897 November 5, 2016

Chloraseptic Sore Throat Spray (phenol) for Tonsillitis/Pharyngitis: "I have a sore throat. I spray once and let it sit in the area for 20 secs then spit out. The numbing only stays for about 10 mins. Obviously the soreness starts to come back. With another spray and about 10 mins later still the numbing goes away. It says use every 2 hours if needed. I need more spraying. "

Anonymous February 9, 2015

Chloraseptic Sore Throat Spray (phenol) for : "Have you ever been laying in bed with a post nasal cough, and cannot get to sleep?? Spray Chloraseptic spray at the back of your throat and numb it up...then you are able to get to sleep!"

Joel88888 April 15, 2013

For Tonsillitis/Pharyngitis: "Works immediately and numbs the throat."

soccergal8 March 16, 2011

Chloraseptic Sore Throat Spray (phenol) for Tonsillitis/Pharyngitis: "I have Strep throat - this numbs effected area and soothes pain in throat. Works wonders but taste and smell is awful. OTC directions for use say use full strength, spray 3 times and swallow. Alternatively, gargle at full strength rinsing effected area for 15 seconds, then expel the remainder. repeat every 2 hours as necessary, to maximum of 8 times/ day. My personal experience I need 6 sprays then gargle and let sit on effected area for 30 seconds to have it last for 2 hours but I only do this 4 times a day. Have also used in the past for pain due to coughing and one spray lasts along time. Very good product because it works!"

leeann250 October 8, 2010