User Reviews for Phenol topical to treat Tonsillitis/Pharyngitis

Also known as: Chloraseptic Sore Throat Spray, Cepastat, Phenaseptic Cherry, P & S Liquid, Cepastat Extra Strength, Castellani Paint, Assure Sore Throat, Unguentine Original Formula, Cheracol Sore Throat, Castellani Paint Colorless, Pain-A-Lay Gargle, Unguentine Mycinette Sore Throat Spray Ora Relief Throat …show all brand names

Phenol topical has an average rating of 6.0 out of 10 from a total of 8 ratings for the treatment of Tonsillitis/Pharyngitis. 50% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 38% reported a negative effect.

Phenol topical Rating Summary

6.0/10 average rating

Compare all 42 medications used in the treatment of Tonsillitis/Pharyngitis.

leeann250 October 8, 2010

Chloraseptic Sore Throat Spray (phenol): “I have Strep throat - this numbs effected area and soothes pain in throat. Works wonders but taste and smell is awful. OTC directions for use say use full strength, spray 3 times and swallow. Alternatively, gargle at full strength rinsing effected area for 15 seconds, then expel the remainder. repeat every 2 hours as necessary, to maximum of 8 times/ day. My personal experience I need 6 sprays then gargle and let sit on effected area for 30 seconds to have it last for 2 hours but I only do this 4 times a day. Have also used in the past for pain due to coughing and one spray lasts along time. Very good product because it works!”

Sherry · Taken for 10 years or more March 19, 2018

Chloraseptic Sore Throat Spray (phenol): “I have used Chloroseptic Spray, green, my entire life. I find it most effective for a ticklish throat that prevents falling asleep, due to sinus drainage. I spray once and can fall asleep right away. Sometimes, it's several times a night if I change positions, waking up. I have never liked the idea of swallowing it, but no sleep is torture. I am a healthy 65 year old and have never had any side effects from swallowing a small amount. However, I'm not advocating it, as it's not recommended. Also, no generic brand has ever helped.”

OG Cece · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 19, 2020

Chloraseptic Sore Throat Spray (phenol): “It was somewhat helpful with the pain. I have used Chloraseptic spray often, as I have spent most of my life with tonsillitis and upper respiratory problems. I find it helps, at first, for when I have to speak as it makes it a lot less painful. Even when I lose my voice, it calms the pain and makes me less aware of swelling. The problem is my tonsillitis has worsened, and it is not helping as much as it used to. I use a lot more sprays than I used to, and I swallowed it my whole childhood which feels great, but sadly stopped doing.”

Brodie Scott · Taken for less than 1 month April 5, 2017

Chloraseptic Sore Throat Spray (phenol): “On day two of an intense infection that has left me unable to swallow and thus sleep. Got Chloroseptic - only brand offered. It was nigh on useless. One squirt - the recommended dose - barely made an impression. I waited 10 minutes, did three squirts - marginal improvement, perhaps a 5 minute slight numbing. There is no way I can get relief with this product without going well over the guidelines and based on what I read elsewhere, swallowing it is dangerous. So, back to spitting in a cup for the next couple of days... Waste of money.”

Anonymous February 9, 2015

Chloraseptic Sore Throat Spray (phenol): “I have a sore throat. I spray once and let it sit in the area for 20 secs then spit out. The numbing only stays for about 10 mins. Obviously the soreness starts to come back. With another spray and about 10 mins later still the numbing goes away. It says use every 2 hours if needed. I need more spraying. ”

NB August 14, 2019

“Don't hold me accountable, use at your own risk but I squirt 5-7x and gargled and it works great.”

ryq · Taken for less than 1 month September 28, 2020

Chloraseptic Sore Throat Spray (phenol): “I was silly enough not to read the ingredients before purchasing online. I needed lido or benzocaine and it contained phenol. It did very little for the pain from canker sores.”

soccergal8 March 16, 2011

“Works immediately and numbs the throat.”

Learn more about Tonsillitis/Pharyngitis