User Reviews for Osphena

Osphena has an average rating of 4.9 out of 10 from a total of 43 ratings on Drugs.com. 30% of those users who reviewed Osphena reported a positive effect, while 43% reported a negative effect.

Dyspareunia
Perimenopausal Symptoms
Summary of Osphena reviews 4.9 43 reviews

Reviews for Osphena

Nora · Taken for 2 to 5 years December 10, 2020

For Dyspareunia: “I've been using Osphena for several years and it changed my life. I could not have sex after menopause due to severe pain-like broken glass. I've had no side effects, no weight gain or bloating. Some leg cramps are easily handled with Ca/ Mg Supplement. BUT in addition my gyno has me using melted cocoanut oil on penetration. She said do not use OTC lubricants as they have ingredients that are drying. I also used a vagdilator for awhile as my muscles were so tight from pain avoidance.”

Dmp · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 19, 2020

For Atrophic Vaginitis: “Have been using Osphena for approximately 4 months. It has helped with the dryness but now the bloating is unbearable. All of a sudden my stomach has gotten like a beach ball and feels horrible. I’m sure this is what it is from. Asked to go back on estate cream.”

Sunshine · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 13, 2020

For Vaginal Dryness: “I’ve been taking Osphena for 1 month now. The first week started the hot flashes and night sweats during the night that wakes me. Muscle spasms in my legs. Weight gain and feeling bloated. My Dr advise to continue for a least 12 weeks, not sure if I can manage 2 more months of side effects.”

Marthasville · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 9, 2015

For Dyspareunia: “This medication started working immediately. Within three days--more moisture. Within the next week, my interest in sex returned and I felt a major decrease in pain. I have been using this medication for 5 months now. Am I completely discomfort free? No. However, with use of a lubricant like coconut oil (best I've used) or olive oil (second best), both of which are the most like the body's natural moisture and some modifications in position or speed, this medicine has been a miracle for us. Unlike when we were young, it takes more preparation to be physically ready for intercourse, but we've adapted to those changes. I was/am frightened by the potential side effects. The only drawback for me at this point is an increase night sweats”

Sweaty momma · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 8, 2019

For Vaginal Dryness: “I started this medication about 3 months ago and it had taken that long for it to work on me. Then I realized I’ve gained 10 pounds in that three months and the hot flashes are extreme with lots of sweating. Yes it did what it was supposed to do, but I feel bloated, fat, sweaty and have experienced leg cramps. Bottom line, not for me.”

Wwotw · Taken for 1 to 2 years July 24, 2019

For Vaginal Dryness: “I have taken this for over a year. Initially, other than being a little more tired than usual, I was pleased with the results. The last six months I have had severe night sweats, and still feel overall tiredness. I am physically more fit than many women my age. (66). I decided to quit this and try non hormone alternative treatments. After three days I did not have the night sweats. Will see if my energy returns!”

Jujuhere March 5, 2016

For Dyspareunia: “Sex had become so painful and no matter how much lubricant we used it just did not work. I dreaded sex and had no desire for it. I suffered for 3 years. One my yearly exam with Gynecologist she told me I was fire engine red down there so we discussed Osphena. After three days I noticed a difference. This is hard to share but I know feel like I am 30 down there LOL ( I am 50) . I have sexual urges again. I get lubrication just thinking about sex. My husband is thrilled and said its like before my menopause. I have nothing bad to say about this. It has given me back my sex life. I must admit I am worried about the side effects that can happen. So, I want to keep check ups regularly. I have heard some gain weight on this. I have not.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 4, 2019

For Dyspareunia: “This drug has renewed my sex life! My husband is thrilled and I’m pretty darn happy, too! I was getting depressed about how painful sex was and how little of it we were having. Now, it’s like I was 20 years ago!”

Molly · Taken for 6 months to 1 year September 12, 2019

For Vaginal Dryness: “I have been on Osphena for 6 months due painful sex and it unfortunately is not helping ! I have also always been a person of a nsc Wright of 120, even 9 months pregnant didn’t weigh what I do now, I am at 149lbs and realized all the weight increases have occurred while on this med! Nothing else has changed so with still painful sex and lack of interest along with the major weigh gain I am stopping usage! Going back on my old low dose estrogen med!”

Cat Mom · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 18, 2019

For Vaginal Dryness: “I am having horrible headaches, leg cramps, drenched in sweat to the point where I am waking up in the middle of the night dehydrated, fatigue, and had none of that before taking. It started about a week into taking the pills. Am going to stop immediately and search for an alternative.”

Janed · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 31, 2019

For Dyspareunia: “At first it was definitely helping with dryness. Then I was wetting my pants all the time and I got a horrific yeast infection -- took three rounds of medication to fix it. I also felt stressed -- lack of energy and weakness. I didn't realize how bad that had gotten until I went off it. The yeast infection was the final straw. Then, after being off it for a week ovarian pain began and I now will need to get this checked off. I went through early menopause (46). I think I have exhausted all options for the pain at this point.”

gertella June 7, 2017

For Dyspareunia: “I have always had an active sex life; at about age 59, sex became very painful. Put up with it for several years until I discovered Osphena. It has made life so much better. There is still some discomfort, but that is a minimal price to pay to be intimate with my husband of 45 years. I would highly recommend this drug. :)”

Travelingstar10 · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 21, 2016

For Dyspareunia: “I am a 58 year old woman who entered menopause at 40. I have dealt with severe dispariunia, vaginal atrophy and dryness for years now. I have tried everything on the market. My doctor has given me prescriptions for creams, HRT, suppositories, none of which gave me anything but temporary relief. Intercourse has been extremely painful and difficult. After talking to my doctor at length, I decided to try it. I noticed a significant difference within 5 days. I was nearly pain free during intercourse! Then the headaches began. A dull, consistent ache in the right side of my head. There was also intermittent nausea. This medication is a God send IF you don't suffer any side effects. Unfortunately, I can no longer take Osphena.”

kitkat5859 February 11, 2019

For Postmenopausal Symptoms: “This did not work for me. Since I started taking this drug, I have had increased vaginal pain, increased urination, and weight gain to the fact that I have gone up 2 pants sizes. I see my doctor this week and am getting off of this drug. I doubt if there is an alternative at this point, they don't make many options for women.”

Ann · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 7, 2019

For Atrophic Vaginitis: “When I started the Osphena I felt better, the hot flashes were horrible. Didn't notice any difference in sex, still hurt. By 3rd month slight headache constantly and leg cramps were bad. Called doctor and stopped taking.”

Micky · Taken for 6 months to 1 year December 23, 2019

For Atrophic Vaginitis: “For us, this drug Osphena saved our sex life. I’ve been on it for a year with no side effects. I was embarrassed to go to the doctor and talk about it and once I got on this medication I wished I had done it sooner.”

Toni September 23, 2018

For Dyspareunia: “For years after having a complete hysterectomy at age 45, intercourse was very painful, I have been taking Osphena for three years without any side effects. To me it is a miracle drug, I had given up on sex, and now I enjoy sex with my husband on a regular basis without worrying about possible side effects , I would rather live a full life with my husband than not having a life at all. Thank you Osphena”

slmarks.phx.az July 5, 2015

For Dyspareunia: “Just started taking Osphena after fighting with insurance for almost 3 years to allow it to be covered. (cash price $204 .00) After 3 days use I have noticed an increase of natural vaginal lubricant. I can't wait to start having a sex life again with my husband! Looking forward to the promises and not to worried about the side effects. Thank You Osphena for bringing us back to life!”

Letfreedomring · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 1, 2019

For Dyspareunia: “I've been taking Osphena for about 2 months. I've had no side effects up until now, and the pain I was experiencing during sex has subsided a lot. Its not perfect yet, but better then it was. However, suddenly I've developed a yeast infection. I've never had yeast infections -only ones out of the blue, only after finishing a course of antibiotics. I read that yeast infections can occur when there is an increase in estrogen. So now I am wondering if I need to stop taking osphena and if its the reason I have a yeast infection.”

willow853 November 10, 2015

For Dyspareunia: “Made a significant positive difference in post-menopause symptoms. However, substantial side effects, worst off which is facial edema with distortion to facial features. Tested this by stopping the med several times to clear it from system and when did this, edema disappeared but reappeared once resume the drug. Also, strong hot flashes and sweating. No weight gain.”

HappyMama · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 27, 2017

For Dyspareunia: “I am 65, have taken Osphena for about 2 1/2 years now, no side effects ever noted. How quickly I had positive results after starting this med, I do not remember. I do know that my sexual desire increased, and my poor once-dry vagina now lubricates with even the thought of having intercourse. I make sure I do everything I can to stay healthy, so I can continue this medication and stay sexually active for a long time. My husband is thrilled, too!”

SheXy · Taken for less than 1 month November 23, 2016

For Dyspareunia: “Everyone is obviously so different. My experience wasn't even close to as positive as some of the others have mentioned. Thankfully I received a physicians sample, and did not purchase it. I took about 6 days worth, and noticed increased discharge. After taking it for another 7 days, I woke up with the worst headache. Headaches are very rare for me. Then I noticed some spotting on my underware. By the evening I was sweating heavily, and just felt horrible. It was then that I decided to look up side effects. I have discontinued taking this medication. It's just not worth the side effects for me. Your mileage will certainly vary.”

myy July 5, 2018

For Dyspareunia: “I've been taking osphena for 8 months now and it helped my vaginal dryness..but side effects are hot flashes, slight headache and gaining weight! To date is my heaviest weight in my entire life...anyhow, before I had to pay $0 with my old insurance but now I have a new insurance and its not covering the osphena. It's so expensive to pay $243 every time I refill. I can't afford it anymore. My obgyn said there's no generic for osphena and she didn't give me any alternative. :(”

KJ · Taken for 6 months to 1 year September 23, 2019

For Atrophic Vaginitis: “This medicine did help with dryness, BUT after 6 months of night sweats and hot flashes (worse than I ever experienced during menopause) it just wasn’t worth it. Then came a horrible case of BV, which was the final straw.”

Dancing woman · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 15, 2016

For Dyspareunia: “I noticed some improvement after a few weeks, but still had some mild discomfort and spotting after intercourse. I have gained weight (about 5 pounds in a 6-week period), I have headaches, I have hot flashes and some severe leg cramping (not a normal problem even with my line dancing). I am going to discontinue this drug.”

Ei · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 27, 2018

For Dyspareunia: “I've been taking Osphena for two months. It has definitely helped with dryness. However I have constant discharge and have gained 6 lbs. I am not eating more and was the same weight for years. It is crazy. I thought that I would stop gaining and my body would go back to normal but it hasn't. I'm going off the medicine and trying the Femilift.”

wellkids · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 19, 2020

For Dyspareunia: “This product did absolutely nothing for me! I went through five months of pills just waiting for something to happen. But, all I did was fill my body with some type of synthetic drug that had zero impact on my problem. I would never recommend this product.”

GaNative · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 6, 2020

For Dyspareunia: “I've been taking Osphena for 3 months for painful intercourse. My doctor said give it 3 months and I did, but sex still hurts, and the side effects are pretty bothersome. Hot flashes, weight gain, bloating, and the worst is the bitchiness. My husband said he'd rather have his sweet wife back. I'm calling the doctor today, but leaning toward stopping it.”