User Reviews for Lariam

3.2

Summary of Lariam reviews 4.6 12 reviews

Reviews for Lariam

notAfan · Taken for less than 1 month December 6, 2018

For Malaria "Had the worst nightmare of a snake (my absolutely worst fear) after taking Lariam. The nightmare was in vivid colour and the sounds were sharp, which made it worse. It has been over 8 years and I can still remember the sound. I had never had a nightmare like that before and haven't had one like that since. I had malaria tons of times as a child. Malaria itself comes nowhere close to having this type of nightmare! Should a drug with this kind of side effect really be on the market?"

santamonica811 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year September 16, 2018

For Malaria Prevention "I had zero problems with this medication. Used it for about 7 months, while on a year-long world trip...used for India, Africa, and the south Pacific. I picked this strictly for convenience--1x/week much easier than daily. I bumped into about 20 other travellers who also were taking Lariam. 19 also had no problems, and one did. She had the weird dreams and so she stopped taking the Larium right away. I'd tell a friend: Start taking this while you are still at home, and see if you're one of the few who have significant reactions to this. (If so, of course, discontinue and pick a different anti-malaria Rx) [Note: I had to fight with my insurance, pre-trip, to get enough pills to last for my extended travels. Finally got Blue Shield to cover them, once I pointed out the huge medical coverage costs to them if I ended up getting malaria due to not having sufficient pills.]"

RN · Taken for less than 1 month September 1, 2018

For Malaria "This drug should not be on the market and should not be distributed. There are better alternatives over this drug. The side effects of this drug are life altering. Myself and many others have experienced horrific side effects from this drug. If you have any family history or personal history of mental health conditions even minor depression - do not take this medication. There are also reports of suicidal idealisation."

Jessica M · Taken for less than 1 month October 12, 2017

For Malaria Prevention "My boyfriend and I we're prescribed Larium for a trip around Asia, both 25 fit & healthy. Both have taken various malaria medication for other trips and have never reacted always been fine, even on months worth of doxycycline. After the first tablet, I was experiencing very vivid dreams-which was fine and had no issues even though some quite frightening. However over the next two weeks I have had all the symptoms including extreme nauseousness, consistent diarrhea (sometimes 7 times in one day) Insomnia, panic and anxiety attacks, faint feeling and worst of all tingling sensations and slight numbness in hands and legs - very scary at times. A can of coke helped. Please don't take this medication and look for other alternatives not worth it"

Buffalo soldier · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 18, 2017

For Malaria "Used this for 7 months in central africa during UN-mission. We were a contingent of 150 soldiers using it. Out of the 150 soldiers using it, only a few experienced some side effects. The good thing is that you only have to take it once a week."

Mehd · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 12, 2017

For Malaria "I have been using Lariam for many years now but I haven't had any issues. I heard that some friends couldn't use it as they had health issues after taking it so I guess it is different from a person to a person. What I like about it, apart from protecting against malaria, is that you take just one tablet a week (Malaria day I call it). Unless you protect yourself all the time from being bitten by Mosquitoes none of the medicines out there will have 100% efficiency. Good luck!"

skindrozzle September 20, 2016

For Malaria Prevention "took Larium on a trip to Indonesia and had huge vivid excruciating nightmares each night. i never usually remember my dreams, but this trip was disturbed each night by bolting out of my bed with my heart pounding and sweat all over my body. it was a truly horrible experience. next trip I took Malarone and all was good. I met a fellow traveler in another part of Indonesia on this 2nd trip and she had the same experience with Larium that I had. I did not get Malaria but the drug side effects were not worth it to me."

Tsibindi · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 14, 2016

For Malaria Prevention "Used Lariam in Zimbabwe for periods up to six weeks in country. Have taken this medication on 15 trips to Zimbabwe I have not experienced any side effects."

Mariefrance October 21, 2015

For Malaria "Very bad. It is one pill a day. Got anxiety, skin rash and was not hungry. Would not recommend"

a chance to cut is a chance to September 23, 2015

For Malaria Prevention "As an A-Detachment medic i was forced to use this drug for over two years straight. I was also in charge of malaria chemoprophylaxis for my team. During the loading dose my guys started complaining of weird dreams and depression. Returning from South America at least 3 out of 11 of the team guys divorced their wives. By the time I raised the BS flag and started a new preventive treatment another 3 were on their way to divorce or had separated from spouse due to depression and other issues like anger and other issues directly associated with Lariam. I wrote an extensive report and pass it along to 7th Group Surgeon but did not even get a courtesy reply. Today I walk around with multiple issues depression, other mental and physical....."

Stevepoa June 17, 2013

For Malaria Prevention "I took this for two years whilst in East Africa. Although many people told me it was not good, I found no side effects and never have suffered from Malaria. I had regular Liver function teats and no adverse symptoms were found."

RolandD December 19, 2012

For Malaria Prevention "I took one of these and felt nearly suicidal within a few hours. The warning labels say if you have previously experienced "certain psychiatric conditions" then you should not take the medication. Well, those conditions include garden-variety depression which a pretty large percentage of the population has experienced. "

ICD-10 CM Clinical Codes (External)