User Reviews for Lariam

Malaria Prevention 5 reviews 22 medications

4.6
Summary of Lariam reviews 8 reviews 5.1

Reviews for Lariam

For Malaria "Used this for 7 months in central africa during UN-mission. We were a contingent of 150 soldiers using it. Out of the 150 soldiers using it, only a few experienced some side effects. The good thing is that you only have to take it once a week."

Buffalo soldier (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Malaria "I have been using Lariam for many years now but I haven't had any issues. I heard that some friends couldn't use it as they had health issues after taking it so I guess it is different from a person to a person. What I like about it, apart from protecting against malaria, is that you take just one tablet a week (Malaria day I call it). Unless you protect yourself all the time from being bitten by Mosquitoes none of the medicines out there will have 100% efficiency. Good luck!"

Mehd (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Malaria Prevention "took Larium on a trip to Indonesia and had huge vivid excruciating nightmares each night. i never usually remember my dreams, but this trip was disturbed each night by bolting out of my bed with my heart pounding and sweat all over my body. it was a truly horrible experience. next trip I took Malarone and all was good. I met a fellow traveler in another part of Indonesia on this 2nd trip and she had the same experience with Larium that I had. I did not get Malaria but the drug side effects were not worth it to me."

skindrozzle September 20, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Malaria Prevention "Used Lariam in Zimbabwe for periods up to six weeks in country. Have taken this medication on 15 trips to Zimbabwe I have not experienced any side effects."

Tsibindi (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 14, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Malaria "Very bad. It is one pill a day. Got anxiety, skin rash and was not hungry. Would not recommend"

Mariefrance October 21, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Malaria Prevention "As an A-Detachment medic i was forced to use this drug for over two years straight. I was also in charge of malaria chemoprophylaxis for my team. During the loading dose my guys started complaining of weird dreams and depression. Returning from South America at least 3 out of 11 of the team guys divorced their wives. By the time I raised the BS flag and started a new preventive treatment another 3 were on their way to divorce or had separated from spouse due to depression and other issues like anger and other issues directly associated with Lariam. I wrote an extensive report and pass it along to 7th Group Surgeon but did not even get a courtesy reply. Today I walk around with multiple issues depression, other mental and physical....."

a chance to cut is a chance to September 23, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Malaria Prevention "I took this for two years whilst in East Africa. Although many people told me it was not good, I found no side effects and never have suffered from Malaria. I had regular Liver function teats and no adverse symptoms were found."

Stevepoa June 17, 2013

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Malaria Prevention "I took one of these and felt nearly suicidal within a few hours. The warning labels say if you have previously experienced "certain psychiatric conditions" then you should not take the medication. Well, those conditions include garden-variety depression which a pretty large percentage of the population has experienced. "

RolandD December 19, 2012