User Reviews for Exemestane

Also known as: Aromasin

Breast Cancer   4.9

Reviews for Exemestane

Anonymous January 9, 2021

Aromasin (exemestane) for Breast Cancer: “I have been on this medicine Aromasin for 9 days, such pains in the bones and muscles that it is impossible to withstand, I have to take strong pain relievers, I stopped taking them”

Nits · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 26, 2020

For Breast Cancer: “My 3rd Aromatase inhibitors (AI). Was on letrozole(gave me osteoporosis in 1 year and horrible fibromyalgia. But got rid of my horrendous migraines. Then Tamoxifen, all else went but daily migraines back with a bang. Then I would have to increase Topiramate (which mean kidneys go in the long run) Also excessive vaginal dryness. Moved to Exemestane. Costs a bomb(we don't get Govt aided health care in our country. And this is an in between. Had to take Zoledronic IV to stop osteoporosis. Fibro back 60%, bone ache a bit. Migraines back 30%. Biggest issue is weight gain. I have gained 6 kgs in 3 months.I never put on weight like this.Any one else?”

Shorty · Taken for 5 to 10 years November 20, 2020

Aromasin (exemestane) for Breast Cancer: “I have had several discussions with my doctor regarding this drug. He refuses to take me off of this after experiencing extreme night sweats, urinary problems, bone and muscle aches, extreme swelling of hands and feet water retention and weight gain.. The benefits of this drug lowering the reoccurance of disease progression is 14%. I have been a 20 year survivor of metastatic breast cancer and do not understand why I'm still on this. Seriously considering stopping the use of this because the side effects of this drug are truly ruining my quality of life. For only a 14% benefit I don't see the point. The horrible symptoms of taking this drug are not worth it.”

"She who must be obeyed" September 14, 2020

For Breast Cancer: “Exemestane is the third aromatase inhibitor I have tried, and although side-effects are fewer than with letrozole or anestrozole, they are still severe. I decided to make a serious effort to treat side-effects aggressively so I can continue exemestane. I have added omeprazole and simethicone to handle the digestive issues and have had good results. My oncologist prescribed Lasix for the swelling in my hands and feet, and that also helps significantly. I'm consulting a rheumatologist about the joint pain in my hands and feet. Hot flashes and night sweats can be addressed with gabapentin and/or Lyrica. I'm using gabapentin. Ask your oncologist or PCP for a prescription. If exemestane makes you cry all the time, don't hesitate to ask for an anti-depressant. Don't just sit there and be miserable, ladies! Hold your treating physicians responsible for dealing with your side-effects!! Just because you have cancer doesn't mean you're supposed to suffer unnecessarily.”

Mary · Taken for 2 to 5 years August 26, 2020

For Breast Cancer: “I have been on examastine for almost 3 years, I will be finished in Nov. 2020. The first two years I was on tamoxifen. Since being on extmastine I have had 2 carpal tunnel surgeries just so I could do my job. My fingers, joints and wrist ache like no other and I haven't worn my rings for months. 2 more months hallelujah!! Godspeed ladies xoxo”

Delta · Taken for 2 to 5 years August 4, 2020

For Breast Cancer: “I’ve been on AI’s since 9/2017 for BC in 2016. I’ve used all 3 and am currently on Exemestane. All 3 have caused a significant amount of hair loss, muscle aches, horrendous joint pain, SORES in throat and elsewhere on a regular basis now and worse..broken bones within just a few months of each other WITHOUT FALLING OR TRIPPING. I’m on my 4th broken bone, this one on my spinal cord. I have a huge decision to make.”

greattobealive · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 4, 2020

For Breast Cancer: “I've been on exemestane for 3 months now. I switched after having side effects from Arimidex. The Exemestane has been way worse. I'm crying as I read all the reviews that other users have experienced. I feel so alone. I'm a very active person. I've never felt so awful in my life. I can't explain it to anyone. My fingers and wrists are so sore and swollen. My hands fall asleep all night long. I wake up constantly. I think I'm so tired from not getting any sleep. I get out of bed in the morning and I can barely walk. I stand up from sitting down and everything hurts! Steps are the worst! I'm 43 and I feel 93!! I was an avid mountain biker and runner before this. It's so disheartening.”

ANGEL · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 22, 2020

For Breast Cancer: “I have to say I feel very lucky reading all these reviews. I have been on exemestane for just under 2 years. I started following 23 rounds of radiation after my lumpectomy. While is do have sore feet occasionally and some mild tiredness I feel pretty lucky compared to other people who have posted. I guess I just want people who are new to the drug to know that not everyone has terrible experiences with it. Yes, it does affect your libido as well but sometimes you just have to learn to make adjustments in what you want to do and what you can do. It has not completely got rid of my sex life but it has definitely made me appreciate the times I am up for it more. It does seem to be getting less of an issue the more I am on it but the trade off is rare occurrences of anxiety. I guess after losing more people than I care to count to cancer I am just lucky there are drugs like this to give us hope.”

Ruthless · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 31, 2019

For Breast Cancer: “Stage 3 infiltrating ductal carcinoma breast cancer survivor twice over 20 years (single mastectomy). I’ve already had high dose chemo & radiation treatments. They also found a brain tumor in 2018. Turning 60 next month, I need to take an estrogen prohibitor and exemestane aka Aromasin is my 3rd AI to try! After 3 months on this drug I’ve had hot flashes, watery eyes, bad foot pain, headaches, falling asleep in the afternoon at work, but the worst for me has been hip/joint pain I never had before. My primary care doctor gave me a cortisone shot in the hip for the pain. He thinks it’s bursitis? (I’m going to try taking high dose vitamin D 50,000 units per week for joint pain someone else suggested in here). Not sure if I can do my time of 5 years on this drug, but oncologist said if I want 10 more years I should try. Comes down to quality of life vs duration of life? I’m running out of options!”

Nbou · Taken for 1 to 2 years October 22, 2019

For Breast Cancer: “I was diagnosed with stage 3 invasive ductal carcinoma in early 2017. After one dose of chemo I developed sepsis and almost died - 2 weeks in ICU in a coma, followed by 2 months in hospital. I had to learn how to walk again, etc. Thanks to excellent medical care I am back at work, and about 85% "back to normal". I am 61 years old and started this adventure as a pretty fit, outdoorsy woman, confident I could manage chemo. However, post sepsis, they won't give me chemo again. I did 6 weeks of radiation, took letrizole for a year to suppress estrogen, and switched to exemestane in July 2018. My most concerning side effect is lack of vaginal lubrication and interest in sex, which sounds trivial but is wreaking emotional havoc in my 27 year marriage. Medical professionals seem to have no knowledge of the safety of using topical estrogen and it's a risk my husband doesn't want me to take. Had anyone had this problem? I feel dropped by the medical system.”

Mom Harper · Taken for less than 1 month October 13, 2019

For Breast Cancer: “I just took my first dose of this medication. I'm 2 weeks post radiation therapy. I'm wondering if there is a patient Facebook group for this med.?”

Mom Harper · Taken for less than 1 month October 13, 2019

For Breast Cancer: “I just took my first dose of Exemestane. I'm 2 weeks post radiation therapy for breast cancer. I'm wondering if there is a patient Facebook group for this med.? There is a support group on this website https://www.drugs.com/answers/support-group/exemestane/ ”

DC · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 5, 2019

For Breast Cancer: “I was on letrozole previously and could not stand the side effects. Joint pain, neuropathy, brain fog and more. I am now on exemestane for 2 months. No brain fog, but I experience tiredness. I now take it at night and that helps me function during the day. I am having some vision issues and I keep getting cysts on my face. It's not pimples, but cysts. As soon as I get rid of one another pops up. Is anyone else experiencing this?”

GranG · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 23, 2019

For Breast Cancer: “I'm 78 yrs old and was diagnosed two years ago with stage 2 breast cancer, this is a recurrence as I first had it 30 yrs ago- had surgery then, radiotherapy and Tamoxifen for 5 years and all was well until 2017. I was then prescribed Letrazole but have been on exemestane for the past 8 months. Usual symptoms, hot flushes, aches and pains, tingling, excessive tiredness, foggy memory. But I'm losing weight - I am small built anyway - oncologist doesn't seem worried but has this happened to anyone else? Everyone seems to gain weight rather than loose it! Could it be anything to do with thinning bones and muscle wastage?”

CureitNOW · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 21, 2019

For Breast Cancer: “Diagnosed in June 2018 Stage 2 BC. Started chemo, stopped after 12th treatment, cancer was getting bigger. Bilateral mastectomy in Dec '18, then 30 rounds of radiation in 2019. April 2019 had full hysterectomy. I was getting the Zolodex shot since Jan'19 and began taking exemestane in February '19 . After the hysterectomy, I really started to notice the side effects. By June my body was aching all over. Knees, back, hands. Headaches occasionally. Weight gain horrendous. From April to June gained 15 pounds and I this was with exercising 2x a day and watching everything I eat. I've started a medication holiday, been off for one week. I'm starting to feel so much better. Lost 2 pounds already. I see my OC next month (July'19). I had ER/PR BC so I'm nervous about not taking anything but my quality of life on this daily pill is atrocious.”

Mama23 · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 3, 2019

For Breast Cancer: “Been on this exemestane 2 years. Had really bad foot pain the beginning. Had a hysterectomy. Have hot flashes. Not sure if it's from med. Also had numbness in hands and pain. It causes me to be very tired as well. I did start working out and it has helped a ton. No more feet pain, or hand pain. I am not good at taking it every day. I also take breaks when I get to the point where I can't function anymore because I'm so tired. I have gained 20 pounds on this med. I'm able to maintain now with keto and crossfit. But still can't seem to get back to my body I had 3 yrs ago.”

Twin D · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 24, 2019

For Breast Cancer: “Been on this for a few months, bone pain, fatigue, weight gain, pain in feet and legs, migraine headaches, more depression, anxiety & hair loss, vision issues, tinnitus. Was on Fareston for over 5 years and made a choice to change as it may have caused other serious accumulating health issues, Although not cancer. Also have lymphedema and have custom made garments to keep potential infections under control which has been on going for about 7 yrs. So far, these side affects are less than Fareston. Unable to tolerate Tamoxifin post breast CA, Stage 3A. I do not expect to be free of any side effects rather having some quality of live, and hopeful.”

Chris Mar · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 8, 2019

For Breast Cancer: “I have been on exemestane for a year and 6 months. My joints , especially ankles and knees are hurting me!! So much pain. My oncologist suggested to change company (with the same substance) but the pain continues! I really don't know what to do. I had very strong legs until last year. Unfortunately now I can't walk easily and feel much pain while standing ....even at sleep.”

Sally · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 7, 2019

Aromasin (exemestane) for Breast Cancer: “I was on Arimidex for 6 months and started having neuropathy in hands and feet. Doc changed me to Aromasin and I still have the neuropathy which has altered my quality of life. Had no side effects from Tamoxifen other than weight gain and hot flashes. The Aromasin has also caused overall weakness and balance issues. I have been off of it for 2 weeks and still have the neuropathy and weakness. I am waiting to make sure it is from the Aromasin and then deciding what to do. I am quite certain I will not go back on the medication.”

Deb · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 2, 2018

For Breast Cancer: “Exemestane is the third drug I am trying. 1 month in, experiencing lightheadeness, heart palpitations, sore ankles & feet so far. I am discontinuing for now, side effects are rough. My breast cancer was a stage 1 non-aggressive, non lymph node involvement. Genetic testing showed no markers. Anyone else have these side effects?”

KT · Taken for 1 to 2 years November 29, 2018

For Breast Cancer: “After trying Arrimidex and Femara, which both made me horribly miserable in many ways, I tried Aromasin, but first I let my body "detox" from the other drugs for a month or so. Both my oncologist and my pharmacist were good with that. Exemestane (Aromasin) has had the least number of side effects for me. I was already taking fish oil and glucosamine chondroitin for arthritis, so not sure if that may help as some have noted or not. Two years after chemo and I still have terrible neuropathy in my feet and they hurt most all of the time. Was taking gabapentin for the neuropathy, but had to take so much so often and it just kept wearing off, so I stopped taking that. The worst side effect that I have now (other than hot flashes and sore feet) is my thin, brittle finger nails. They were always thick and strong before cancer. I started taking biotin for that, but only recently, so no great results yet. I also take vitamin B12 which helps with energy.”

LT · Taken for less than 1 month November 1, 2018

Aromasin (exemestane) for Breast Cancer: “I was actually a participant in the clinical trial for Aromasin in 2006. At that time I had Stage 2 Breast Cancer. I had a lumpectomy, radiation, and this drug. I took it for 4 years...I was miserable. The worst side effect was the pain in my joints, particularly my feet. I couldn’t walk around the block. I was diagnosed with Metastatic Breast Cancer in September. I have had radiation and am back on the dreaded Exemestane. In addition to some of the other side effects, I have very bad pain in my hip (when I sit). I also have numbness on the same side, along my waist. Has anyone else experienced this? I don’t want to quit but this is pretty miserable.”

Katherine · Taken for less than 1 month October 4, 2018

For Breast Cancer: “Getting ready to start this after quitting anastrazole which I was on it for 18 months. With the anatrazole I ended up in hospital thought I was having a heart attack fatigue was terrible vision problems dizziness. If this doesn’t work I’ll quit taking tablets”

SueLin · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 11, 2018

For Breast Cancer: “I was on Letrozole and it was making me a sweaty, raging maniac. I could NOT control my rage. I decided to try exemestane, which cost me $73.00 out-of-pocket because my insurance doesn't cover it. Results: The bones in my hands hurt, my feet are incredibly sore in the morning, and I'm still sweating! Suffice it to say, I've contacted my Oncologist and asked her if I could try Anastrozole again. But, I will ask (and thank you for the idea) my OC about taking Aromasin every other day to see if that calms the sweating a bit.”

Janedoe · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 22, 2018

For Breast Cancer: “I’ve been on aromasin for about 9 months. I had hot flashes for the first few months, rarely now. I experience massive fatigue, to the point that for several months I could barely care for my young children. Moderate exercise helps some with that. The joint/bone pain is unpleasant, but tolerable so far. I have nausea throughout the day, mostly in the morning. Shooting pains in my legs/feet and arms at night. The worst side effect has been the weight gain. 30 pounds in 9 months, despite exercising more and maintaining the same diet, and actually eating less than before. So frustrating. I’m thankful if the drug is keeping the cancer away, but the side effects are really awful.”