User Reviews for Exemestane

Also known as: Aromasin

Learn more about Exemestane.

Breast Cancer 30 reviews 56 medications

Summary of Exemestane reviews 30 reviews 5.0

Reviews for Exemestane

For Breast Cancer: "Exemestane is the 3rd anti estrogen medication I have taken. I was not able to take Tamoxifen due to a bad interaction with another medicationI take. The first 2other aromatase inhibitors I took gave me severe side effects. Exemestane has been the best so far, but it does give me insomnia and then fatigue, and headaches. My main problem is the expense! Although it is generic it is much more costly than the other medications I was on and I can't understand why!"

Joanie B (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 26, 2016

For Breast Cancer: "This drug is perhaps saving my life, but who knows - and at what cost? Right now I seriously question the value of treatment that has such violent side effects. I'm experiencing: bone pain, extreme hot flushes /cold shivers, chronic constipation, vaginal dryness and discomfort, cognitive impairment, inability to concentrate, insomnia, significant weight gain (18bs in 8 weeks), rapid aging, facial hair growth, irritability, depression (big surprise there). It really angers me to see the glib way doctors document their research on this drug, claiming it is 'well tolerated'. I'm sure there are exceptions but in my personal experience so far, every woman I have met who's taking it complains of similar symptoms."

Shikasta August 18, 2016

For Breast Cancer: "I started taking exemestane after trying Tamoxifen and Femara. Unfortunately, these medicines have been hard on me. I do not have quality of life. Constantly tired plus the joint pain is unbearable. Hands are swollen, trigger finger and cists in the wrist. I have also gained a lot of weight and developed bad acne."

Shary Girl June 7, 2016

For Breast Cancer: "I was put on Femara after my radiation and had terrible debilitating side effects. My bones and joints were in constant pain, the headaches and hot flashes were frequent. My oncologist took me off and put me on Aromasin. What a difference! I occasionally get ringing in my ears and an upset stomach but thank goodness nothing like the Fenara."

Lizzie K (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 31, 2016

For Breast Cancer: "After 2 years I finally realized why my elbow joints were in such pain. I was also waking up frequently throughout the night, but then would fall asleep at 6 am, and not want to get out of bed. By 10 or 11 am, I would force myself to get up! And I couldn't even think about exercising or taking my walks. My onc. took me off for a month to see how I feel, and after 3 weeks, the difference is remarkable. I'm sleeping a full 8 hours, my joints stopped aching, and I'm often getting out of bed early, which I haven't done in 2 years. Now I realize that on this drug, I wasn't just tired, I was depressed. Most days I felt like crying (in spite of having a fantastic happy life) and didn't want to get out of bed."

Deligrrrl (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 29, 2016

For Breast Cancer: "This medication was not good for me. I had a lot of severe joint pain and I was sad all of the time. I cried at the drop of a hat and this is not my normal personality at all. I always felt as though I just wanted to curl up in a ball and stay under the covers. I lasted 2.5 years. All of my joints hurt. So, now I am trying letrozole. So far, it seems more of the same...sigh."

april485 March 21, 2016

Aromasin (exemestane) for Breast Cancer: "Have taken three different drugs of the same nature and purpose. This has the mildest side effects. Nausea, sweats, insomnia, headache, joint pain, increased appetite, lethargy, dizziness are some of the side effects I am experiencing."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 5, 2016

For Breast Cancer: "I took for 60 days and had horrible joint and bone pain. At times, I could not make a fist, snap my fingers, or get out of bed. I was tired all the time. My face broke out with acne and seb.dermatitis. I stopped for a week and already feel so much better (more energy, much less joint pain). I am meeting with the Onc. in a couple weeks to discuss a new drug... hopefully without the awful side effects."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 28, 2016

Aromasin (exemestane) for Breast Cancer: "i have been on aromasin for about 70 days just had a short holiday came back hardly able to walk joints were aching from first taking it but thought this might be because I'm not getting any younger but now I wonder also my sleep patterns have altered I wake quite early and am a lot more tired also at times I seem quite breathless although I'm asthmatic it has always been well controlled will see my doctor to see what he suggests this was my last resort for drugs as most of the others I have tried with side effects."

Golden oldie (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 21, 2015

For Breast Cancer: "Very active and fit- 37 yrs old and have been on Aromasin for almost 3mo. I was on Tamoxifen for 5 years previously. It was a cake walk compared to Aromasin. I haven't slept through the night a single night since starting A. My hands are swollen and weak and they ache all the time. I have joint pain all over and am terribly stuff when I sit in the same position for long. I'm tired and have a hard time working out (I used to live for this) My vision is blurry sometimes. This blows but I'm hoping the SEs will improve soon."

Stefg (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 20, 2015

For Breast Cancer: "Kidney problems? Carpel Tunnel Numbness? Insomnia? (Hot flashes are a given, I take gabapentin and venafaxalene which helps.) I just started Exemastine after taking Tamoxifen for three years. I started the new drug about a month and a half ago. I had similar side effects when I started Tamaxifen but never had Kidney Pain. I am in a lot of pain which is covering about a 6 inch radius on my side. I am not 100% sure if it is pulled muscles since it came on overnight, but I don't recall any injury. Has anyone had this issue?"

Sherrydampier July 5, 2015

For Breast Cancer: "I have been on Aromasin (Exemestane) 25 mg for three years. I tried the other two Inhibitors but had severe bone pain so this one is the best of the bunch. I do have some joint pain, low stamina, no libido, waking throughout the night, swollen fingers, toes and abdomen, severe hot flashes that feel like I'm being burned at the stake and the worse one is the weight gain. I've gained 50 pounds in the last two years and still have two years to go. My doctor put me on Clonidin every 6 hours because my skin was allergic to the 24 hour patch. It helps ease the hot flashes for about 4 hours. He doesn't have any advice for my inability to lose weight and the fact that I keep gaining even though I exercise and eat the same as before. Ugghhh!"

Mic9497 April 16, 2015

For Breast Cancer: "Severe hot flashes, unable to sleep, joints hurt and tired all the time. Have had breast cancer twice so I hope this works."

Deb247 March 14, 2015

Aromasin (exemestane) for Breast Cancer: "Had a lumpectomy for Stage I Advanced Breast Cancer followed by radiotherapy. Then was put on each of the aromatase inhibitors, letrozole and the other one. Basically I was unable to continue either after 10 days due to increasingly debilitating dizziness, nausea, crying, etc. Then put on tamoxifen, and I developed lymphodoema. So tamoxifen was discontinued but still have moderate lymphodoema. Then put on aromasin. Initially able to tolerate it but increasing light-headedness (four minor car accidents) and debilitating joint pain (everywhere), poor sleep somewhat countered with Lyrica. I had already been diagnosed with widespread arthritis in the joints and the pain with aromasin has been intolerable so discontinued, against medical advice."

JeannetteMarie February 12, 2015

For Breast Cancer: "This is my 3rd medicine for reducing estrogen. I have been on it for 6 months, after going through surgery and radiation for Stage 1 breast cancer. It is much easier than the other medications. BUT I'm still not sure if I will continue. Since I have started on this medicine I have had the following: blood clot in lung, headaches, nausea, loss of appetite, pain in my right side, insomnia, jaw pain, ringing in ears & some imbalances, these are new just since starting this medicine. (Pain in joints is something that is better on this medicine than others.) As I have already tried the other medications available to me this is my only option except taking nothing. "

Doxieblue22 December 29, 2014

For Breast Cancer: "I have been on exemestane for 7 months and stopped because of the severe joint pain, especially when 1st getting up from a sitting position or getting out of bed. Been off for about a month and I'm still experiencing symptoms. "

Fredrina October 4, 2013

For Breast Cancer: "I have been on exemestane for fifteen months and I don't have any side effects. I attribute my waking in the night to having to go to the bathroom if I drink tea. I attribute my joint pain in my hip to the fact that I had it before I started and I am getting older. I sometimes get a hot flash but it lasts for about 30 seconds. I do sometimes get tired but then again I am getting older and some days I am more tired than others. If this medication can keep me healthy then I would say that I have no side effects. I do take a calcium supplement and try to exercise most days. I am an otherwise healthy 66 year old woman who is thankful for this medication and the fact that my breast cancer was caught early."

vacationgirl October 2, 2013

75 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Aromasin (exemestane) for Breast Cancer: "Quit anastrozole after 4 months, was making me so tired, could hardly get out of bed, falling asleep at the wheel. Have been on Aromasin for 4 months and my hair is falling out quite a lot. "

roll tide (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 30, 2013

For Breast Cancer: "My entire body itches. I stopped taking it for 2 days and no itching. Started again and the itching started again."

Carrieghs (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 16, 2013

Aromasin (exemestane) for Breast Cancer: "I just came off Aromasin, on tamoxifen for 2 years, then Aromasin for 5 years. I am having cold chills and then hot flashes, now. While on it I had all the side effects, sore bones, hot flashes, gained weight, etc. "

finished drug (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 18, 2013

74 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Breast Cancer: "I was on Arimidex for two months and I thought I was having a heart attack. Turns out it it was the medication. I have been on exemestane for three months and my chest feels real tight most of the time. I have no energy and headaches. I am trying to decide if to go off it and go on Tamoxifen. I have talked to several people on tamoxifen with no side effects to speak of except hot flashes. I also have pain in my fingers and feet. I also feel like I am having some hearing loss which I never had before."

farmgirl17 January 26, 2012

Aromasin (exemestane) for Breast Cancer: "I took two years of Tamoxifen, without much side effects that I cannot manage. I took Femara for one year and could not even turn my head and had joint pains to the point I could not turn my head when I was driving. Now I just got off exemestane after 6 months as I cannot sleep even with sleeping pills. I am five years out from chemo and doctor still wants me to take the pills for another year and four months. "

Anonymous October 29, 2011

78 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Breast Cancer: "On this medication for the past 4 months. Still unable to sleep at night, hot flashes, but a lot nicer than the other medication I was on. The only side effect that I can deal with is the muscle pain that it causes in my legs. I also notice my skin being oily and breakouts on my face."

Debbie z October 10, 2011

For Breast Cancer: "I took Arimidex which was terrible. I really dreaded starting another medication and possible side effects. However, to my surprise this is far better than I could have imagined. I almost quit taking any medication because of side effects. I am very glad I tried this one. It works for me. I have learned to keep asking and trying different medicines until you find the one for you."

Anonymous August 20, 2011

76 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Aromasin (exemestane) for Breast Cancer: "I have been taking Aromasin for 3 months now and still wake up every night in pain on my hand, tingling and burning along with joint pain. "

Makalika January 12, 2011

89 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate