User Reviews for Exemestane

Also known as: Aromasin

Learn more about Exemestane.

Breast Cancer 39 reviews 58 medications

4.5
Summary of Exemestane reviews 39 reviews 4.5

Reviews for Exemestane

For Breast Cancer: "Terrible Side Effects"

Lindylpb (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 30, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Breast Cancer: "I've been on exemestane for 3 months now. After the first couple of weeks the joints in my feet hurt so much I couldn't walk. I now take vitamins that help out immensely- fish oil, calcium, vitamin D and joint mix in the morning and mega red at night when the pain flares up again. I get hot flashes but my oncologist put me on a serotonin booster to help with them and it also helps with my mood. I wake up at night, throughout the night. Ibuprofen P.M. helps. Lately I've been very fatigued through the day. Other than coffee in the morning I don't know how to fix that. So far it's not too bad once I got my vitamin regimen figured out."

M Such May 15, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Breast Cancer: "I thought I was going crazy. Taking aromosin for 11 mos. I fall asleep in the middle of the day, even nod off when I'm with friends. Terrible sleeplessness, hand joint pain in middle of night, thinning hair (after losing hair after chemo), The fatigue makes me lack motivation, no interest in anything, poor eating habits, can't exercise, don't want to do anything. This is worse than Arimidex!"

Birdie13 April 26, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Breast Cancer: "My OC switched me from letrozole to exemestane because I was having some bone loss. I was a little more tired and achey on the Letrozole so assumed the same from exemesterane but oh my gosh what a difference. I gained 6Lbs in a month, horrible headaches, pins and needles in hands, back pain, fatigue, waking up in the middle of the night, hot flashes, ring in my ears and blurry vision. I'm switching back to Lettozole at least the s/e are tolerable. I guess everyone is different if it works for others awesome but not for me. These reviews are so needed in our for-profit health-care system. Doctors won't tell you or don't know about all the side effects and who even knows about long term ones....."

LilyDuncan (taken for less than 1 month) April 20, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Breast Cancer: "I have been taking 25 mg of Exemesane for 22 days now. After the first week I started having a cough with clear phlegm everyday. I recently had bad headaches that lasted 3 days. I had to lay in bed with lights off. I also have been having diarrhea and nausea with some vomiting the past week. Two nights ago I had very uncomfortable heartburn, I had to sleep sitting up. I have also had increased bone/joint pain and fatigue. I hope the medicine is working because I really don't like feeling ill on a daily basis. I will discuss these side effects with my doctor next week."

Fightbreastcancer (taken for less than 1 month) February 24, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Breast Cancer: "This drug was the worst by far. Diagnosed almost 9 years ago in 2008. On tamoxifen for two years-had a hysterectomy-on Arimidex for five years. I thought after seven years I would not have to take anything. Dr said new research and I should take a drug for 10 years. Didn't want to go back on Arimidex because of the horrible side effects. On tamoxifen again for one year and developed a vetreous detachment in my eye-after research on my part could've been linked to the tamoxifen. I went off that and started taking Exemestane. On for three weeks and had terrible backache, nausea, acid reflux, cracking bones, and horrible depression. I won't take it again for only a 2% increase in survival"

Bcsurvivor January 26, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Breast Cancer: "This is the second inhibitor that I have tried. Started off great, but now after 3 months am wondering if it is all worth it. The tiredness, insomnia and swollen hands and feet are bad enough. The worst part is the confusion. I go to appointments at the wrong times, can't remember some of the grandchildrens names! Along with the hot flushes and nausea, not fun. Then the doctor tells me that I need it for 10 years and just work through the side effects!"

marianne rodders December 6, 2016

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Breast Cancer: "Have been on this medication about 4 months I was wondering why I couldn't sleep and have gained and excessive amount of weight. I read the reviews which helped me considerably. I wake up with headaches in the morning. I take Excedrin it helps, my skin breaks out weekly. My right arm is numb and feels like no circulation. I believe I am going to take my self off this medication. I can't afford to keep buying clothes. Oh by the way my sugar has gone up. I've never had this problem before. I believe this medication is the common denominator for most if not all my issues."

Mz. V November 21, 2016

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Breast Cancer: "The most significant side effect is the the non stop sweating. Not just a glow! LOL Having reade about side affects I do experience some of the others but not significantly. I was off it for awhile and now back on and am experiencinge loss of pigment in my genital area and lower stomach. Have not seen anything about this on the internet/ Has anyone else experienced this/"

Brevegal (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 12, 2016

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Breast Cancer: "Exemestane is the 3rd anti estrogen medication I have taken. I was not able to take Tamoxifen due to a bad interaction with another medicationI take. The first 2other aromatase inhibitors I took gave me severe side effects. Exemestane has been the best so far, but it does give me insomnia and then fatigue, and headaches. My main problem is the expense! Although it is generic it is much more costly than the other medications I was on and I can't understand why!"

Joanie B (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 26, 2016

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Breast Cancer: "This drug is perhaps saving my life, but who knows - and at what cost? Right now I seriously question the value of treatment that has such violent side effects. I'm experiencing: bone pain, extreme hot flushes /cold shivers, chronic constipation, vaginal dryness and discomfort, cognitive impairment, inability to concentrate, insomnia, significant weight gain (18bs in 8 weeks), rapid aging, facial hair growth, irritability, depression (big surprise there). It really angers me to see the glib way doctors document their research on this drug, claiming it is 'well tolerated'. I'm sure there are exceptions but in my personal experience so far, every woman I have met who's taking it complains of similar symptoms."

Shikasta August 18, 2016

44 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Breast Cancer: "I started taking exemestane after trying Tamoxifen and Femara. Unfortunately, these medicines have been hard on me. I do not have quality of life. Constantly tired plus the joint pain is unbearable. Hands are swollen, trigger finger and cists in the wrist. I have also gained a lot of weight and developed bad acne."

Shary Girl June 7, 2016

36 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Breast Cancer: "I was put on Femara after my radiation and had terrible debilitating side effects. My bones and joints were in constant pain, the headaches and hot flashes were frequent. My oncologist took me off and put me on Aromasin. What a difference! I occasionally get ringing in my ears and an upset stomach but thank goodness nothing like the Fenara."

Lizzie K (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 31, 2016

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Breast Cancer: "After 2 years I finally realized why my elbow joints were in such pain. I was also waking up frequently throughout the night, but then would fall asleep at 6 am, and not want to get out of bed. By 10 or 11 am, I would force myself to get up! And I couldn't even think about exercising or taking my walks. My onc. took me off for a month to see how I feel, and after 3 weeks, the difference is remarkable. I'm sleeping a full 8 hours, my joints stopped aching, and I'm often getting out of bed early, which I haven't done in 2 years. Now I realize that on this drug, I wasn't just tired, I was depressed. Most days I felt like crying (in spite of having a fantastic happy life) and didn't want to get out of bed."

Deligrrrl (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 29, 2016

38 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Breast Cancer: "This medication was not good for me. I had a lot of severe joint pain and I was sad all of the time. I cried at the drop of a hat and this is not my normal personality at all. I always felt as though I just wanted to curl up in a ball and stay under the covers. I lasted 2.5 years. All of my joints hurt. So, now I am trying letrozole. So far, it seems more of the same...sigh."

april485 March 21, 2016

24 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Aromasin (exemestane) for Breast Cancer: "Have taken three different drugs of the same nature and purpose. This has the mildest side effects. Nausea, sweats, insomnia, headache, joint pain, increased appetite, lethargy, dizziness are some of the side effects I am experiencing."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 5, 2016

28 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Breast Cancer: "I took for 60 days and had horrible joint and bone pain. At times, I could not make a fist, snap my fingers, or get out of bed. I was tired all the time. My face broke out with acne and seb.dermatitis. I stopped for a week and already feel so much better (more energy, much less joint pain). I am meeting with the Onc. in a couple weeks to discuss a new drug... hopefully without the awful side effects."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 28, 2016

29 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Aromasin (exemestane) for Breast Cancer: "i have been on aromasin for about 70 days just had a short holiday came back hardly able to walk joints were aching from first taking it but thought this might be because I'm not getting any younger but now I wonder also my sleep patterns have altered I wake quite early and am a lot more tired also at times I seem quite breathless although I'm asthmatic it has always been well controlled will see my doctor to see what he suggests this was my last resort for drugs as most of the others I have tried with side effects."

Golden oldie (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 21, 2015

32 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Breast Cancer: "Very active and fit- 37 yrs old and have been on Aromasin for almost 3mo. I was on Tamoxifen for 5 years previously. It was a cake walk compared to Aromasin. I haven't slept through the night a single night since starting A. My hands are swollen and weak and they ache all the time. I have joint pain all over and am terribly stuff when I sit in the same position for long. I'm tired and have a hard time working out (I used to live for this) My vision is blurry sometimes. This blows but I'm hoping the SEs will improve soon."

Stefg (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 20, 2015

37 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Breast Cancer: "Kidney problems? Carpel Tunnel Numbness? Insomnia? (Hot flashes are a given, I take gabapentin and venafaxalene which helps.) I just started Exemastine after taking Tamoxifen for three years. I started the new drug about a month and a half ago. I had similar side effects when I started Tamaxifen but never had Kidney Pain. I am in a lot of pain which is covering about a 6 inch radius on my side. I am not 100% sure if it is pulled muscles since it came on overnight, but I don't recall any injury. Has anyone had this issue?"

Sherrydampier July 5, 2015

27 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Breast Cancer: "I have been on Aromasin (Exemestane) 25 mg for three years. I tried the other two Inhibitors but had severe bone pain so this one is the best of the bunch. I do have some joint pain, low stamina, no libido, waking throughout the night, swollen fingers, toes and abdomen, severe hot flashes that feel like I'm being burned at the stake and the worse one is the weight gain. I've gained 50 pounds in the last two years and still have two years to go. My doctor put me on Clonidin every 6 hours because my skin was allergic to the 24 hour patch. It helps ease the hot flashes for about 4 hours. He doesn't have any advice for my inability to lose weight and the fact that I keep gaining even though I exercise and eat the same as before. Ugghhh!"

Mic9497 April 16, 2015

42 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Breast Cancer: "Severe hot flashes, unable to sleep, joints hurt and tired all the time. Have had breast cancer twice so I hope this works."

Deb247 March 14, 2015

39 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Aromasin (exemestane) for Breast Cancer: "Had a lumpectomy for Stage I Advanced Breast Cancer followed by radiotherapy. Then was put on each of the aromatase inhibitors, letrozole and the other one. Basically I was unable to continue either after 10 days due to increasingly debilitating dizziness, nausea, crying, etc. Then put on tamoxifen, and I developed lymphodoema. So tamoxifen was discontinued but still have moderate lymphodoema. Then put on aromasin. Initially able to tolerate it but increasing light-headedness (four minor car accidents) and debilitating joint pain (everywhere), poor sleep somewhat countered with Lyrica. I had already been diagnosed with widespread arthritis in the joints and the pain with aromasin has been intolerable so discontinued, against medical advice."

JeannetteMarie February 12, 2015

74 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Breast Cancer: "This is my 3rd medicine for reducing estrogen. I have been on it for 6 months, after going through surgery and radiation for Stage 1 breast cancer. It is much easier than the other medications. BUT I'm still not sure if I will continue. Since I have started on this medicine I have had the following: blood clot in lung, headaches, nausea, loss of appetite, pain in my right side, insomnia, jaw pain, ringing in ears & some imbalances, these are new just since starting this medicine. (Pain in joints is something that is better on this medicine than others.) As I have already tried the other medications available to me this is my only option except taking nothing. "

Doxieblue22 December 29, 2014

45 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Breast Cancer: "I have been on exemestane for 7 months and stopped because of the severe joint pain, especially when 1st getting up from a sitting position or getting out of bed. Been off for about a month and I'm still experiencing symptoms. "

Fredrina October 4, 2013