User Reviews for Erythromycin ophthalmic to treat Conjunctivitis, Bacterial

Erythromycin ophthalmic has an average rating of 5.4 out of 10 from a total of 9 ratings for the treatment of Conjunctivitis, Bacterial. 33% of those users who reviewed Erythromycin ophthalmic reported a positive effect, while 33% reported a negative effect.

Erythromycin ophthalmic Rating Summary

5.4/10 average rating

Compare all 60 medications used in the treatment of Conjunctivitis, Bacterial.

Aahhh!!!pinkeye · Taken for less than 1 month October 13, 2020

“Applied erythromycin to my eye for the 1st time at 1:30pm Monday, Oct.12th; again at 6pm & 11pm. Woke this morning (13 October) in discomfort(similar to b4 using the ointment), applied it at 8:30am & tried to go back to sleep to no avail. Applied it again at 1pm. My eye doesn't itch and feel like sand is constantly in it anymore, but it is more red than it was before applying the ointment. My right eye was pink in the corners, my left eye was barely pink but now they're both bright red and super watery(vision blurred with tears minute after minute).”

aspenbooboo41 · Taken for less than 1 month November 12, 2019

“I've used eye lubricant gel before without issue, so I thought I wouldn't mind the Erythromycin ointment. Wrong. Not only is it messy, greasy, and difficult to apply in a sanitary way, it made my already irritated eyes feel even worse. After using, it felt like someone put gooey sand in my eyes. It hurt ,was highly irritating, and lasted for at least 5 minutes after using. I used this only twice and called the doctor to switch me to Tobramycin drops.”

Michele S · Taken for less than 1 month November 8, 2019

“I cannot rate this on efficacy because I used it twice and then had doctor change my Rx to Tobramycin drops. The Erythromycin ointment made my eyes feel even worse when I applied it. Felt like someone dumped sticky sand into my eyes for about 10 minutes. Awful.”

Cyn · Taken for less than 1 month December 23, 2018

“I had corneal abrasion and used it for 4 hours. I started to notice redness swelling and itching around my eye and even on the outside of my eye. I'm thinking I'm having an allergic reaction to it? Has anybody else ever had this problem?”

Anonymous June 7, 2019

“I believe the erythromycin eye ointment can result in irritation and complications because of some kind of filler aside from the medicinal ingredients. The consistency is oily and after using this for pink eye for a few times, my daughter developed a lacrimal gland blockage resistant to treatment that ultimately resulted in a granuloma. It is my belief that this medication should be discontinued.”

SeeingClearly · Taken for less than 1 month January 11, 2018

“Not easy to use but works the best (and fastest way) to get rid of pink eye. I poured the ointment on a glove covered finger to administer because it is difficult trying to avoid touching your eye with the tip of the tube.”

lildipper · Taken for less than 1 month April 22, 2018

“This is the tried and true medication that takes care of business. Once widely used, you're hard pressed to get it unless you ask for it. This works on contact when it's needed every time. They're pushed to sell the more expensive new class of drugs that have horrible side effects. Erythromycin is the one. For people AND animals!”

Lady Theresa January 2, 2014

“I prefer the drops to the ointment. The drops are easier to administer and to figure out the dosage. The ointment worked but was less clean.”

anne · Taken for less than 1 month August 31, 2019

“applied ointment and noticed itching and swelling in a few hours. the upper eyelid is especially swollen. Have stopped using it.”

JoaniePonie July 8, 2017

“I had a cornea scratch from cararact surgery and this is what they gave me. Application causes needle like pain in the eye. Too early to tell its effectiveness”

Learn more about Conjunctivitis, Bacterial