User Reviews for Ciprofloxacin / dexamethasone otic to treat Otitis Media

Also known as: Ciprodex

Ciprofloxacin / dexamethasone otic has an average rating of 5.3 out of 10 from a total of 44 ratings for the treatment of Otitis Media. 45% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 45% reported a negative effect.

Ciprofloxacin/dexamethasone otic Rating Summary

5.3/10 average rating

Compare all 72 medications used in the treatment of Otitis Media.

Reviews for Ciprofloxacin / dexamethasone otic

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month May 16, 2020

Ciprodex (ciprofloxacin / dexamethasone): “Just got prescribed Ciprodex today. Long history of chronic ear infections and have used many drops in the past. This one by FAR is the most painful I’ve ever had. The side of my head feels like it’s on fire and it has extended town to my throat and into my sinuses. Ask for something else if your doctor suggests this. RUN if you have to.”

Lauren April 20, 2020

Ciprodex (ciprofloxacin / dexamethasone): “Not going to lie when I started taking these Ciprodex drops it hurt a lot, to the point of tears. I had a hard time sleeping and my ear was closing up. It hurt so much on the third day I decided I was going to stop taking it because of the pain and I was worried it was making my ear infection worse. After I skipped my morning dose I noticed hours later that my ear opened back up and I actually could hear from my infected ear just as good as my good ear! I realized it might actually be working and finished the rest. It probably hurts because it was working, It was destroying the Infection and I'd rather go through the pain to get better than not at all. I'm surprised with all the negative reviews. It hurts, believe me I know but it's worth it. My ear infection and hearing loss I've been experiencing a long time got a lot better. It worked for me. I knocked off a star because of the pain, but in this case no pain no gain. I would take it again of I had another ear infection in the future”

Nervis Jervis · Taken for less than 1 month November 26, 2019

Ciprodex (ciprofloxacin / dexamethasone): “ciprodex caused ear and jaw pain. Went to the doctor to have him look in my ears, he said no infection but there was "pressure, don't fly in a plane for the next 2 weeks". Seriously I threw it in the trash. I am so upset I have to deal with this. The pain woke me up a few times and hurts to eat on left side. But, I can hear again. Never taking this stuff ever again. I hope this pain goes away soon. Sick of dealing with this.”

Ruthiea · Taken for less than 1 month September 7, 2019

Ciprodex (ciprofloxacin / dexamethasone): “I had a pretty bad ear infection and was prescribed Ciprodex. I applied in the evening right before bed and it felt like it was burning and I was in so much pain. The next morning I woke up with mild tinnitus. At first I didn’t put it together that it was the drops that gave me tinnitus after but because the drops gave me terrible pain I didn’t use again. After a week and I still had the infection I decided to use the drops again in the morning by night time tinnitus increased a massive level and I couldn’t sleep for weeks. Luckily tinnitus eventually went down to being very mild but not sure it’ll ever go away. No hearing loss I’ve had three expensive test done. I wish I could have researched this medication. Even my ENT told me drops are not good for middle ear infections.”

Anonymous September 16, 2009

Ciprodex (ciprofloxacin / dexamethasone): “Ciprodex was prescribed by my ENT doctor in Portland Oregon in January 2008. Immediately after using this drug I developed serious vertigo issues that resulted in a fall. I also got tinnitus, ringing in the ears which is especially annoying. ”

Tina · Taken for less than 1 month May 2, 2020

Ciprodex (ciprofloxacin / dexamethasone): “I had a dual ear infection (middle and outer) my ear externally blew up, the side of my face. It was the worst pain. Was given amoxicillin first, only got worse. Then was given ciprodex and Clindamycin. I thought the ciprodex was making it worse. Ever time I did the drops, it BURNED, and felt like it was making the side of my face more inflamed and clogged!! I was literally on the edge of going to the ER, cause I thought I needed surgery. I worked for an ENT, and called them. They ended up calling me in a medrol pack. I never stopped the drops. The medrol pack worked instantly within hours and reduced the inflammation. I still felt the ear infection- clogged, itchy, and still slightly painful. I think the ciprodex just felt like it was making things worse, because of how inflamed and bad my infections were. But it does work. Keep with it!”

Jaja · Taken for 1 to 2 years November 30, 2019

Ciprodex (ciprofloxacin / dexamethasone): “I have never had ear infections my ears have been in good condition up until the last year plus my doctor recommended that I go and see a specialist. The specialist then forward vacuumed my ear out to clear out the debris so that the antibiotic drops clear the infection however after taking these drops I have incurred clogged ear intense itching in my inner ear the medication is extremely expensive I don't know if the specialist and the pharmaceutical representatives are working in conjunction but it is not conducive to the ones these drops are being prescribed to those experiencing ear pain. Matter of fact my doctor prescribed an off brand and symptoms went away and came back over time. It was then I was referred back to specialist who swears by ciprodex. I do not recommend this medication. It interrupts sleep, pain and intense itching in the inter canal. Still going through this now”

Axelbizzle · Taken for less than 1 month February 6, 2020

Ciprodex (ciprofloxacin / dexamethasone): “Prescribed Ciprodex by my ear specialist to clear up a middle ear infection that occurred due to a ruptured ear drum. I’m on day 6 and it hasn’t really worked. No adverse side-effects other than some mild itching and a decrease in personal finances - $265 for a tiny bottle!”

gg August 30, 2018

Ciprodex (ciprofloxacin / dexamethasone): “Ciprodex costs $270 out of pocket with no insurance or coupons. These ear drops are painful and can cause some swelling and discomfort. It felt as if they were only making my pain worse, even while taking prescribed ibuprofen. Do NOT, however, stop taking them without the permission of a doctor. That is misuse of an antibiotic. I will admit that I almost contacted a doctor myself because of excruciating pain from taking the ear drops. I am on the 7th day of dealing with a severe otitis media/externa infection, 4th day taking Ciprodex and my condition has only improved. I am unsure the price is worth it, but you will see improvements if you are able to overcome the side effects of the medication. After a few days it seems itching is my sole side effect. If your side effects are more severe you should definitely consider switching with a doctor's advice. Overall, these ear drops have helped me a lot— the side effects were outweighed by the benefits, but the price was off-putting.”

Dusti · Taken for less than 1 month May 8, 2020

Ciprodex (ciprofloxacin / dexamethasone): “Have been having on and off ear pain & swelling for two months. I’m a surfer in & out of the water every day, living in Central America with nothing but an GP in an ER clinic is available for medical help. First was prescribed by a ER clinic Doc Cipo BID for 6 days which made the infection seem like it was going away with mild relief only to have it come back with a vengeance a week later but all swelling in the neck & jaw and pain but I could hear and the ear canal was clear. Back to the clinic. Prescribed Clamicil BID (amoxicillin) and Ciprodex drops 3 drops every 8 hours. The clamicil was working great. 24 hours of the drops and my ear had swollen shut. Severe pain & itching & discharge. The doc said oh well just stop using them then. Why even prescribe them?! I’m worse off then when I went in. Luckily they’re not expensive here only paid $20 for the bottle. Continuing the amoxicillin and moving onto seeing an acupuncturist for the swelling. Do not use these!”

Lyudmila · Taken for less than 1 month August 19, 2018

Ciprodex (ciprofloxacin / dexamethasone): “Ciprodex didn't help me at all. After 4 drops it made my pain even worse, it added some burning sensation to my ear. This product should be off market. Spent $56 after insurance, such a waste of money and time. I don't recommend this product to anyone.”

VelG November 9, 2015

Ciprodex (ciprofloxacin / dexamethasone): “I had been battling the worst ear infection for about three days with a big ear ache that I finally gave in on the fourth day and went to the doctor who prescribed Ciprodex. I felt relief from the first dosage. I'm going on my fourth day using this medicine, and my pain is completely gone. I still have somewhat of a stuffed ear and loss of hearing, but I can slowly start to hear more and the stuffiness is going away. The only downfall is that even with my insurance, this medicine cost me $85! I will say given the amount of ear pain I've endured lately that the price was worth it!!”

Greenhead · Taken for less than 1 month January 7, 2020

Ciprodex (ciprofloxacin / dexamethasone): “Horrible company- charges about $300 for a teeny tiny bottle of a medicine containing two generically available drugs: a steroid and an antibiotic. Also, the price has risen dramatically, despite the low cost of the been-around-forever drugs contained in these drops. Total ripoff, and an example of why these companies (Novartis in this case) need to be much more regulated. ”

Merv3x · Taken for less than 1 month August 15, 2012

Ciprodex (ciprofloxacin / dexamethasone): “I like how it cleans out my ear. It calmed down my pain in 2 days. I'm using 4 drops twice a day. The only problem is a little loss of hearing, I believe it's the wax built up inside my ear and the infection. Now I'm going to get my ear cleaned by my doctor today.”

Anonymous December 19, 2009

Ciprodex (ciprofloxacin / dexamethasone): “I've been using this medication for 3 days now. The pain from my infection is gone, but the ringing in my ear is still there, and everything is muffled. I am also on an oral antibiotic for tonsilitis and sinus infection as well. Overall I am very happy with this medication. Only downside is that if I had not had insurance this medication would have cost $101, with insurance it was only $25.”

Rittz · Taken for less than 1 month March 30, 2021

Ciprodex (ciprofloxacin / dexamethasone): “I’m not sure why everyone needs to come on the internet and tell them your bad experience which likely wasn’t that bad. Anyways, I had a super bad ear infection got prescribed this and amox500 together and I have to the say they next morning I feel A TON better. So I would recommend for sure.”

Flo · Taken for less than 1 month October 19, 2019

Ciprodex (ciprofloxacin / dexamethasone): “40 year old adult who never had any ear problems. In fact I have overly exceptional hearing. 1 week ago my left ear felt full and I let it go for 3 days. I happened to be seeing PC doc about something else, and mentioned it. They told me I have an inner ear infection so will put me on Cirprodex for 7 days. However, he doesn't believe my insurance in MA will pay for it. Went to pick it up and it cost $8. I put it in that night, My ear was very clogged had a hard time hearing people. 6 days later ear is still clogged, but it happens to clear up on its own every 3 hours then goes back to being full. Overall no side effects. No pain. Just need to have a tolerance for having an ear that feels full in the normal business world.”

Mat July 11, 2018

Ciprodex (ciprofloxacin / dexamethasone): “This was a fairly scary experience for me. The review that explained how the doctor assured them there was no way ciprodex was causing the swelling and pain, yea... that doctor needs to get a clue. Had an ear infection for a week. Nothing but inner ear pain and redness on ear. Used amoxicillin for 3 days. Wasn't helping. So they prescribed me ciprodex. This was day ten. No swelling, no jaw pain. 3 hours after taking it, my wife noticed that the side of my face was HUGE. I couldn't eat anything because of intense jaw pain and could barely even talk, with redness all around ear. Used for two days because I read that sometimes it can be the infection that can cause certain things. It only got worse of course. Now 3 days after, I am just about back to normal, with infection still. Didn't want to take it for 2-3 days with those side effects, but I paid $230 for this tiny bottle. Can be cheaper with insurance, but new job and it doesn't kick in for another month. Be careful.”

Sid · Taken for less than 1 month April 3, 2019

Ciprodex (ciprofloxacin / dexamethasone): “I am on my last drop's of Ciprodex today, I would say I am 75% better & was also on a Z- pack. I could not hear at all for the first few days. Now my right ear is completely better and my left only half way there. BUT THE COST IS CRAZY $400.00 my healthcare only paid $96.00 of it. And yes it hurt's for awhile after you put the drops in your ears!!!”

melissa_meds June 26, 2018

Ciprodex (ciprofloxacin / dexamethasone): “I took this medication for 3 days and my ear pain increased so bad to the point of tears. I had pain from my temple through the my jaw bone. I had problems chewing because my teeth (bite) was crooked due to the jaw swelling. I read a few reviews stating that it gets worst before it gets better. There is no way this is helping me. I just had to stop taking it and continue my amoxicillin and started using the Similasan ear relief drops (otc).”

glenbo · Taken for less than 1 month September 8, 2016

Ciprodex (ciprofloxacin / dexamethasone): “A doctor prescribed this for an inner ear infection caused by another medication. I used it twice and the pain in my ear has increased tremendously, there is swelling and itching, my tongue is swelling and everything tastes funny. I have also had 3 episodes of dizziness, and my entire head and face itch. I'm a veteran, was not able to get this through the VA because of a weekend emergency, and don't have any other insurance except Medicare, the cost was $222.90, and another $81.00 for another oral medicine that I could only take one time and had to throw it up. Hopefully my ears will eventually heal themselves without any more help from the doctor because I can't afford being a guinea pig.”

Aga · Taken for less than 1 month January 14, 2020

Ciprodex (ciprofloxacin / dexamethasone): “On day four I stopped sleeping, started having night sweats, bugs crawling on my skin, slurred speech, very high HR. Unfortunately, I couldn't believe that is was ear drops and so I continued taking them for another 8 years by which time I totally deteriorated. Since stopping it a month ago I still have insomnia, high HR, terrible tinnitus, painful muscles, fatigue, panic attacks, etc. I have since found out I was 'floxed' and that the damage to my CNS might even be permanent. Please look for alternatives and NEVER allow this near your child!!!!!!”

Flopsy September 15, 2018

Ciprodex (ciprofloxacin / dexamethasone): “Dr prescribed Ciprodex Otic drops for my ear infection. I took my first dose (4 drops) at 2pm yesterday. Within a few hours itching started and small red dots appeared on my neck, upper arms and chest. I took Benadryl at 10pm because they were now hives. Slept very little. Went to Dr this morning to show her the hives. Rather than prescribe a replacement medicine she said to take Zyrtec for the next two days and see her next week. The Ciprodex cost me $97.50 out of pocket after the small portion my insurance covered. This was a short lived nightmare I will not repeat. This was after 1 dosage.”

Anonymous September 2, 2009

Ciprodex (ciprofloxacin / dexamethasone): “My two year old had severe ear infection and did not respond to this antibiotic at all so after five straight days of 104 temperature and vomiting the doctor gave a shot of Rocephin which broke the fever immediately and started the healing of the ears and then finished with a round of Augmentin. We did however get the severe diaper rash that the letter said could accompany this medication. ”

Hey you · Taken for less than 1 month April 28, 2019

Ciprodex (ciprofloxacin / dexamethasone): “I was on Ciprodex for my ear infection and this pill never worked and I could not sleep either, I would just toss and turn. These ear drops works very slow and are too expensive $400.00 co pay $50. I had to stop taking it so I could sleep. ”