User Reviews for Ciprodex

Otitis Externa
5.3

Summary of Ciprodex reviews 5.7 47 reviews

Reviews for Ciprodex

For Otitis Media "Dr prescribed Ciprodex Otic drops for my ear infection. I took my first dose (4 drops) at 2pm yesterday. Within a few hours itching started and small red dots appeared on my neck, upper arms and chest. I took Benadryl at 10pm because they were now hives. Slept very little. Went to Dr this morning to show her the hives. Rather than prescribe a replacement medicine she said to take Zyrtec for the next two days and see her next week. The Ciprodex cost me $97.50 out of pocket after the small portion my insurance covered. This was a short lived nightmare I will not repeat. This was after 1 dosage."

Flopsy September 15, 2018

For Otitis Media "Ciprodex costs $270 out of pocket with no insurance or coupons. These ear drops are painful and can cause some swelling and discomfort. It felt as if they were only making my pain worse, even while taking prescribed ibuprofen. Do NOT, however, stop taking them without the permission of a doctor. That is misuse of an antibiotic. I will admit that I almost contacted a doctor myself because of excruciating pain from taking the ear drops. I am on the 7th day of dealing with a severe otitis media/externa infection, 4th day taking Ciprodex and my condition has only improved. I am unsure the price is worth it, but you will see improvements if you are able to overcome the side effects of the medication. After a few days it seems itching is my sole side effect. If your side effects are more severe you should definitely consider switching with a doctor's advice. Overall, these ear drops have helped me a lot— the side effects were outweighed by the benefits, but the price was off-putting."

gg August 30, 2018

For Otitis Media "This is day 5 and my son's ears look and feel so much better! Wow! Yes it is very expensive but it works!"

Princess (taken for less than 1 month) August 20, 2018

For Otitis Media "Ciprodex didn't help me at all. After 4 drops it made my pain even worse, it added some burning sensation to my ear. This product should be off market. Spent $56 after insurance, such a waste of money and time. I don't recommend this product to anyone."

Lyudmila (taken for less than 1 month) August 19, 2018

For Otitis Externa "I've had an ear infection on my left side for almost a month!! I tried EVERY THING!!! I tried OTC ear drops, sweet oil, peroxide... you name it.. went to my local ER because I was hurting so bad, my face had swollen up on the side my ear ache was on, my neck swollen up on that side, my lymph node were swollen, and I became feverish! It got into my jaw and I could barely open my mouth and of course it was the weekend and I couldn't get into my regular Dr. Well they didn't do much but give me an antibiotic for an ear ache, no ear drops. Anyways, I finally made it to my PCP and she prescribed me ciprodex! She advised me to continue the antibiotics but also start the ear drops( that the ER should have also given me)... THEY WORKED PERFECT!! Just remember people, everyones BODY is different!! Just because it doesn't work for one person does not mean it wont work for you, and vice versa!"

TYPHHH (taken for less than 1 month) August 8, 2018

For Otitis Externa "After swimming, I noticed water in my ear. I tried various home remedies for four days and finally went to urgent care to clear up this annoying feeling. PA prescribed me ciprodex 2x day for 7 days. After the first dose, my entire ear/jaw swelled up, causing difficulty speaking and eating. The pain was horrible! The first night, I counted down the minutes for my next dose of ibuprofen. I made it through 3 doses of this poison and decided I needed a second opinion. Went to my PCP who urged me to STOP taking the drops immediately! Switched to Amoxicillin and praying for a speedy recovery. Taking ciprodex was the worst decision I’ve ever made! I just want it to get out of my system fast so I can move on from this over-priced poison!"

Unhappycustomer (taken for less than 1 month) August 3, 2018

For Otitis Media "This was a fairly scary experience for me. The review that explained how the doctor assured them there was no way ciprodex was causing the swelling and pain, yea... that doctor needs to get a clue. Had an ear infection for a week. Nothing but inner ear pain and redness on ear. Used amoxicillin for 3 days. Wasn't helping. So they prescribed me ciprodex. This was day ten. No swelling, no jaw pain. 3 hours after taking it, my wife noticed that the side of my face was HUGE. I couldn't eat anything because of intense jaw pain and could barely even talk, with redness all around ear. Used for two days because I read that sometimes it can be the infection that can cause certain things. It only got worse of course. Now 3 days after, I am just about back to normal, with infection still. Didn't want to take it for 2-3 days with those side effects, but I paid $230 for this tiny bottle. Can be cheaper with insurance, but new job and it doesn't kick in for another month. Be careful."

Mat July 11, 2018

For Otitis Externa "USE WITH CAUTION! My 14yo daughter was prescribed Ciprodex for swimmer's ear in both ears. Before seeing dr., we were using ibuprofen & OTC pain relief eardrops with the only serious pain being in the middle of the night. Dr. said Ciprodex would be expensive ($50) but worth it as it would clear the ear fast. WRONG! Approx. 30 min. after the very first dose she was screaming and writhing in pain like I'd never seen. MUCH WORSE! Googled it to find LOTS of similar stories AND pain as a known side effect! Immediately called and got an alternative (Neomycin-Polymyxin HC drops -FREE-100% coverage by insurance & no copay!) Tried the new drops in the first ear & waited 1 hour before using in other ear to make sure these drops wouldn't cause the same intense pain. She was fine with the free Neomycin-Polymyxin HC. Hopefully, healing can begin now!"

KET July 9, 2018

For Otitis Media "I took this medication for 3 days and my ear pain increased so bad to the point of tears. I had pain from my temple through the my jaw bone. I had problems chewing because my teeth (bite) was crooked due to the jaw swelling. I read a few reviews stating that it gets worst before it gets better. There is no way this is helping me. I just had to stop taking it and continue my amoxicillin and started using the Similasan ear relief drops (otc)."

melissa_meds June 26, 2018

For Otitis Externa "Listen everyone, this antibiotic works by cutting up the DNA of the Bacterium so (eventually) it can't grow its rotten little colonies. There's also a steroid added to reduce inflammation. It won't directly kill the existing Bacteria."

Hi Everyone (taken for less than 1 month) May 11, 2018

For Otitis Externa "I was having an on and off again ear pain for over 3 months. The 1st NP did not give me Ciprodex nor Amocoxillian and the ear infection got worse. At first the pain was only at night but now its day and night. I went to another NP and she prescribed Ciprodex and Amocoxillian. The first dose of Ciprodex was unbearable today & the pain lasted for 2hrs. It did push some wax or infection out of my ear. I have 6 more days to go so hopefully I will not have the same pain experience everyday."

TEWA (taken for less than 1 month) March 25, 2018

For Otitis Externa "My daughter just started taking this yesterday and as soon as we used the drops within half an hour she was in more pain then she had been before taking it. I hopped on here and saw so many other people have experienced the same thing. We are going to try them this morning and see if it makes a difference or not. She complained of pain in her ear all the way down the side of her jaw. And the price - oh my goodness. I don't have coverage and this little bottle cost me $45. I see some people are paying more which is ridiculous considering it seems to be a medication that does not work the best. Will see how we do after the next dose otherwise I'm stopping it and we are going back to the doctor."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) December 23, 2017

For Otitis Externa "I’ve taken 4 doses of Ciprodex and will need my 5th dose in a few hours. I was prescribed this medicine by a nurse practitioner and told to use it 2x per day (4 drops per dose). My ear canal is still swollen, the pain has a lot gotten worse, and I also have pain in and under my jaw now. I have difficulty eating and I can’t sleep because it feels like someone is stabbing my brain with a knife. I came to this site to find out how long it takes to work. Its not looking hopeful."

Redzzz December 17, 2017

For Otitis Externa "I’ve been prescribed this antibiotic for my ear infection! My instructions are to use it twice DAILY for “7” days & use 4 drops! You guys, I am on my 7th day & guess what ??? NOTHING ! Like this can’t be true .. this little tube of ear drops costed me $40 just for it NOT to work ! I have headaches , sometimes my neck hurts & on top of that my ear doesn’t feel like it’s getting better ! This has to be the worst I could have gotten !!"

ShonDenise24 December 1, 2017

For Otitis Externa "I had Ear canal inflammation for almost 4 weeks and haven't touched these drops since the reviews say that it'll damage your cochlear nerve, hearing loss and Tinnitus. Taking these drops and I've seen some improvement. Yeah a little pain there and there and yes... a little Tinnitus there and there but thats cause the medicine is eating the inflammation like Pac-man. It works like a charm. Just don't overuse it or you'll get hearing loss and resistance. It works, trust me."

B-Ry (taken for less than 1 month) September 30, 2017

For Otitis Externa "While this med helped my ear pain and infection heal... the swollen mouth, jaw, tongue, and face were too unbearable I quit the drops after 4 days. My doc advised me there was no way my swelling came from the drops. I insisted on prednisone and then picked up zyrtec, pepcid, and benydryl Those meds, combined with 50 mg of prednisone I'm feeling much better. I'm allergic to penicillin. I'm wondering if my pcn allergy is related to my cipro allergy. I'll never go back to that doctor."

Lindsm August 12, 2017

For Otitis Externa "I developed an outer ear infection after a month of daily swimming. I was in a lot of pain and went to the doctors which prescribed these drops. With insurance it still cost me $60 out of pocket. Which I would have been more than happy to pay if it had helped relieved the pain. However, my pain is worse now. The drops have only made the pain 10x worse. I'm now on day 4th and have decided to stop using them going back to the doctors for an alternative. I'm really bummed out as we leave on vacation this Sunday and the pain is unbearable."

M.Kerbs (taken for less than 1 month) July 28, 2017

For Otitis Externa "It took away the swelling and pain in about 24 hours. It slightly improved the loss of hearing after 7 days but I still can't hear like normal. Way way too expensive, $270 in which insurance covered abut $50. $220 for a tiny bottle of mediocre medicine."

Waitfornever (taken for less than 1 month) July 28, 2017

For Otitis Externa "This hurts so bad I'm not sleeping at night I'm in constant pain from the medication. I'm going to the doctor tomorrow and reporting this I feel like I stuck poison in my ear. I DON'T RECOMMEND THIS UNLESS U WANNA BE IN SO MUCH PAIN!!!!"

Leelee05 July 24, 2017

For Otitis Externa "Wish I had never taken this drug. I had a mild ear infection (not much pain). Ever since taking this, over six months ago, there has been a constant noise in my ear. Plus in spite of the fact that there is no evidence of an infection now, I am experiencing off-and-on pain in the ear. I believe this drug contributed to the constant "noise" I'm now experiencing. I doubt it will go away and it is horrible."

SheJay (taken for less than 1 month) July 8, 2017

For Otitis Externa "The cost was expensive at $38.90 in Australia! No rebate. 2 drops x 5 days into my left ear. It made my hearing worse. After 5 days I have constant ringing in my left ear. I wouldn't recommend CIPROXIN HC ear drops for any one! I went to the doctor after 2 days and told her it was worse and she claims the inflammation was gone, keep using it!"

fotomarc (taken for less than 1 month) June 3, 2017

For Otitis Externa "I started using Ciprodex, and in 24hrs, massive change and improved difference. The ear swelling came completely down which was a huge relief. Now just waiting for the hearing to come back once the clog goes away. It feels like its sooo close to being normal."

Tod19 (taken for less than 1 month) May 17, 2017

For Otitis Externa "SMALL BOTTLE, PURCHASED AT PHARMACY for $264.000!! Insurance paid for $214. 50 for 7 days treatment. Yet a 2% acidic solution and cortisol for swelling is recommended. How in the world can we expect these companies to accept the risk of insuring people"

Anonymous May 9, 2017

For Otitis Media "Still using it I just can't believe the states. U guys pay $208? Gawd even without insurance it's only 50 bucks though I paid $7.08 with my plan. Poor people"

Chickchaman January 29, 2017

For Otitis Externa "I have only been on this medication for one day for both internal and external ear infection. Within hours of taking it, my ear started to swell even more than it already was, causing it to hurt tremendously to open my mouth, chew, and even swallow. I was in pain before, but since taking ciprodex the pain has increased a substantial amount. I was told it should get better with 48 hours. I can't take the drops anymore due to all the swelling and pain, also hearing loss. I'm hoping this clears up soon with just the pal medication I was also prescribed."

Mollie O'Conner December 30, 2016