User Reviews for Biotin to treat Dietary Supplementation

Also known as: Hair, Skin & Nails, Appearex, Cyto B7

Biotin has an average rating of 5.9 out of 10 from a total of 28 ratings for the treatment of Dietary Supplementation. 46% of those users who reviewed Biotin reported a positive effect, while 36% reported a negative effect.

Biotin Rating Summary

5.9/10 average rating

Compare all 215 medications used in the treatment of Dietary Supplementation.

Reviews for Biotin

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month March 4, 2021

Hair, Skin & Nails (biotin): “I started taking SHEDAVI hair vitamins and using the hair serum. After 2 weeks of usage, my thinning temple areas are true bald spots now. I’m so upset. All of the wonderful testimonies had me convinced that this would be my holy grail but unfortunately it’s only made a bad problem worse.”

Storm · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 19, 2021

Hair, Skin & Nails (biotin): “I have been taking Shediva for about a month and a half. I have not had any side affects. This is my 2nd time using it. The first time it took about 2 1/2 months to see results. So it does work. But you must read ingredients and make sure you not allergic to any of the ingredients. Please do your research and talk with you doctor before starting .”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 12, 2021

“Hairstylist-Platform Artist 32 yrs experience I know what I'm talking about! It's a waste of money ,my advice is eat right, Work-out to reduce stress, have your sleep, see a doctor. The pill for Alopecia is a risk to take cause can cause severe kidney damage, my best solution use ROGAIN "minoxidil 5%" IT works DoctorOZ agrees with me he did a study on it on his show but don't get fool by the women formula with "2.5% minoxidil" it's a money grab does not work women please do yourself a favor use the men formula too! I have seen dramatic result in just 1 mth of use!!”

ProudARMYwife · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 14, 2014

“PEOPLE YOU HAVE TO DRINK TONS OF WATER WITH THIS VITAMIN OR ELSE. Biotin will give you acne. It will cause severe headaches. It will make you nauseous, and you will complain it doesn't work and give up. THIS IS WHY PEOPLE DON'T GET RESULTS. In reality your doing it wrong if your not getting enough water! It has worked wonders for me. I have lost hair due to medications and stress. I started noticing results in two weeks (eyelashes). Two months (scalp). And you will get hair growth everywhere. My hair has never looked more healthier.”

Yo-yo · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 11, 2019

“I’ve been taking Biotin 1,000mc for 6 weeks and so far it appears that my hair isn’t thinning so much and my nails seem stronger and no longer breaking easily as they were. I had to go to the hair salon sooner than usual so my hair is growing too and I feel like I have more energy. So far so good!”

JJ · Taken for less than 1 month November 22, 2019

“I’ve been taking this vitamin for three weeks and can honestly say that I have seen a difference in hair growth (approximately one inch). I haven’t had any side effects that some people have listed although I have noticed that I have had stomach cramps/ trapped gas every single day. I’m not sure if it is related or if I’ve picked a slight bug/virus up from my family (?). Overall I’ve had a positive experience so far, but my concern is - what happens when you stop taking it? What will the impact be if all of a sudden my body isn’t receiving biotin at this current dosage??”

mari4 · Taken for less than 1 month November 22, 2016

Hair, Skin & Nails (biotin): “I have been taking SHEDAVI hair+ skin+ nails. I'm n my first bottle. I've been having more frequent headaches. I'm not the one the take any analgesic but I've been force to take one to relieve my pain. I also hallucinate a bit I see thing running around my house I know can't be there. I was wondering if anyone had experience the same side effects and should I stop taking it?”

Emlynn August 10, 2019

“I am a hairdresser, 30 years old and have always had a massive amount of hair on my head. In fact, me and all my sisters do. I had some personal trauma a few months ago and my hair is falling out by the handfuls. Drastic change from what I have always known. I gave Biotin a try because I have always suggested it to my clients for their own hair loss issues throughout the years. I am newly into the bottle, 5 days now and am experiencing some weird constipation issues. I noticed it a few days ago and thought nothing of it but here I am, lower back and abdominal pain, it feels tight and awful. I don’t want to jump the gun but have now seen a few reviews regarding constipation and think I may need to cut ties with this stuff. I did also noticed yesterday, some light red after wiping my nose, another review here stating something similar about nose bleeds. I don’t have a cold, or a sore in my nose...I found it to be strange but am now putting two and two together.”

Anonymous November 7, 2020

“I have noticed since taking this about 1-2 weeks now nightly before bed that I am getting the side effect of majorly bad gas and back pain and aches. Also a lack of appetite. It does seem my nails are stronger and my hair seems to have grown a lot in such a short time but my hair grew pretty fast anyway. But the gas is explosive and like unbearable. And the back pain and aches didn’t start daily like this until I started taking this supplement daily.”

Meganmariee December 30, 2013

“Biotin is pure bliss. I have been taking it everyday at 5000 mg. It has definitely made improvement in my nails and hair. I have been taking it for a few months and my hair has grown almost two inches. Reading tons of negative reviews on other sites at first made me think that biotin would barely do anything, but that was wrong biotin definitely helped my hair, skin, and nails! Taking this everyday and sticking with it really makes a difference!”

Epileptic · Taken for 10 years or more June 10, 2019

“After taking phenobarbital for years to control my seizures, I looked up the effects it had on my body. Hah! It depletes the biotin your body produces. I started taking biotin supplements. Really can't remember the amount it was that long ago. I am 70 and have been taking phenobarbital since I was 17. I started taking biotin supplements about 16 years ago. I had strong nails for the first time in my life. My hair is thick and wavy to curly. My skin is still in amazing condition at my age. I can't give all the credit to biotin. Pretty sure genetics played a part. No headaches. No side effects. Just a better me where I needed help. Very happy I looked it up all those years ago. Look at me... long and strong nails for the first time in my life. I was a chef, retired now, and I have nails. Never could when I was working. ”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month October 31, 2017

“I am a 19 year old female. I took this to make my hair grow. I am prone to headaches and acne and thought nothing of it until I had an inescapable migraine and weird cramping in my intestines that are most likely due to this drug. My head felt cloudy and I also had trouble focusing at times. I'm trying to wean myself off and am coming to terms with the fact that my hair will grow at the pace that it wants -.-”

creekgirl · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 26, 2018

“I am a 70 year old white female. For a long time, my hair was getting extremely thin. I started taking Biotin 5,000 mcg once a day and after a month, saw a great improvement. I still have a rather thin place, but overall my hair is much thicker and has come in much curlier! It's also helped my husband, I can see a difference. We've had no side effects. It hasn't seemed to make any improvements in my nails, unfortunately.”

Kristinmh94928 July 22, 2016

“I've been taking Biotin off and on for a few years and have noticed that certain brands seem to cause more headaches ...and for someone who never really gets headaches the ones I got after taking it were just unbearable... stopped taking it and no more headaches so my suggestion is to stick with a well respected brand and if you can, just buy a small bottle first to see if you have a reaction... on the plus side I did see an improvement in my skin.. oh, and maybe it's just me but I also noticed if I took it at night I had the most bizarre dreams ”

Kellyjo · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 7, 2018

“I have had a 100% satisfactory rate with taking biotin. my hair was all busted off to about 4 in on my head and now my hair is in the middle of my back. I have autoimmune disease, JIA and it has helped me tremendously with my health issues. I think that the people that are getting bad side effects from the it, don't need it. I need it!! my body is depleting daily of all kinds of vitamins and minerals, so as for the acne, the headaches, the menstrual cycles, all that, I've not been affected and I've been taking it for over 2 years. I recommend it to everyone that I talk to, that has thin wispy or ugly hair.”

Amanda011504 June 20, 2017

“I regrew my hair and you can too. I've been bleaching my hair on and off since forever. My hair wouldn't grow any longer it would just snap off. I've dreamed about having thick, long hair. My friend suggested Biotin when we were talking about my hair loss. I’ve tried like 4 different brands til I found that the best one for me. My hair and nails grow SO much quicker. Also my energy levels are high. I continue to take biotin every day and now that I am no longer on my diet I eat whatever I want and I don't gain weight. So I highly recommend it to you. ”

Katie222 · Taken for less than 1 month June 28, 2013

“I am 54 years old and have not had acne since I was a teenager. After only 2 days of taking 5000mg, my nose broke out in large red rosacea type pimples. I stopped the vitamin and did not get any more pimples.”

Yo-yo · Taken for less than 1 month June 23, 2019

“I’m on day 1 of taking Biotin 1,000 mcg for hair loss due to thyroid disease. I am hopeful that it will work and I am encouraged by the reviews here. My hair has become extremely thin with receding patches. I will keep you updated a month from now on July 22.”

MandySandyDandy · Taken for less than 1 month March 20, 2017

“I take this for my Chronic Fatigue Syndrome / Myalgic Encephalomyelitis .I heard that people with MS are in a study using 300-600 MG(!) not mcg, of Biotin. I tried taking 5MG which is the highest available in a pill. I got a nasty headache, but it seems like it was a one-off because I haven't had it repeated. I know it was the biotin though, because I didn't read enough. Apparently it can dehydrate you, so you have to drink a lot more water than you normally would. However, the very next day, I was "sick" in the flulike way that people with CFS/ME do. And the day after that I had tons more energy than before. I think it may have helped my immune system to wake up and fight the (much denied) virus that causes this disease. But I wouldn't have to guess if the CDC, NIH & FDA would fund ME/CFS research.”

Emmadema May 29, 2017

“Worst vitamin ever .I took it for less than a week ,and I am on my 3 month still having large cystic acne . So bad that I might have to either go for laser or chemical peel. I didn't even have a single pimple on my face and people used to compliment me for my skin. Worst worst worst supplement ever which affected my confidence. They really need to stop selling it .”

Notsogoodnonononono · Taken for less than 1 month January 24, 2016

“I am a 30 year old married female. I took biotin for 5 days, 5000 mcg 2 pills a day and now my period is 3 days late (And counting.The pregnancy test is negative fyi). I found many posts online by users saying their menstruation cycle started later rather than sooner and they weren't pregnant. I just wanted to mention this possible side effect. Also this pill gave me pimples.”

alopeciaguy · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 10, 2017

“I'm a retired male, and I've been suffering from Alopecia for years. The gal who has been cutting my hair for over 25 years would hold up the mirror and give me an update as to how many, how large and how visible the patches were each time I saw her. I tried Vitamins E, D and B, and when taking them all I had some success, but the Alopecia was still there. For some reason, I never complained about it to my primary care physician, but he noticed my brittle nails and recommended Biotin -- voila, the Alopecia disappeared! I guess I should have mentioned the Alopecia to my PCP years ago! Interestingly, I still have the brittle nails.”

Cin · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 19, 2018

“I'm 58 years old. This year I complained to my doctor that my nails were thin and a mess. Lots of vertical ridges and splitting for many years. He recommended Biotin. I took it a few years back without seeing any difference so I stopped. Now I thought a bigger dose may be effective. So I am trying 5000 mcg daily. Six months later, most of the ridges have gone away but my nails still are thin. My hair is seems thicker. I did not get headaches and I have always had acne, that hasn't changed.”

Marip · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 3, 2018

Hair, Skin & Nails (biotin): “I've been taking it for over a month, with no side effects until today. Had the worst nightmare ever and I'm still not sure if it was because I took it without a meal or not. Hopefully was just a random fact and not a side effect of a hallucination.”

Bullfrog11 March 30, 2017

“Worst supplement I EVER took. I developed cystic acne. Large pimples continued to develop even after I stopped taking the Biotin. I could not believe how huge the cysts formed under my skin. My chin literally was deformed with the cysts. I had one on my left side of the chin and one on my right. They were the diameter of a dime and massively swollen. I was so embarrassed, there was nothing to make them go away. I continue to get small cysts of acne randomly on my face, I never had acne like this before. DO NOT take this product. Terrible doesn't begin to describe it....and reducing the symptoms by drinking water with it does not help, nor taking a b vitamin, as people suggest.”

MAP · Taken for less than 1 month February 2, 2021

“I’m an 80 year old female. I’ve been taking Biotin for about a month. It was recommended to me by my young granddaughter who took it while she was having chemo which was causing hair loss. I’ve always had thick hair but suddenly got a couple of patches of hair loss. Also my nails were splitting length ways also very thin and not growing. I’m amazed at the side effects some people have experienced. I can honestly say I’ve had nothing like this and my nails are so much stronger and no more splitting. Also my hair is back to normal I certainly intend to keep taking it”

Dee · Taken for less than 1 month May 11, 2018

“I’ve had an almost constant severe headache for about a week. I go to bed with it and wake up with it and the only thing I’ve related it to has been the biotin.”

Kenxie November 7, 2019

Hair, Skin & Nails (biotin): “If I take this on an empty stomach I definitely throw up.”